General Discussion Race Reports! » New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series - Race #1 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series - Race #1 Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Harriman, New York
United States
New York Tri
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 52s
Overall Rank = 60/275
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 14/37
Pre-race routine:

Yogurt and granola, water a little bit of gatoraide an hour before the race.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 15m 30s
  • 804 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

had a moment where I was crusin but it was intruuped by me running into the guy in front of me. There were a couple of times where I held up to see what was infront of me instead of sighting. Need to work on seeing the bouy. Also, for some reason I tend to drift to the outside of the pack. This is in part fear of not wanting to run into anyone else, but I end up with no one to draft and having to swim farther to the bouy. Next time I am going to take the inside path when passing someone, I noticed I was passing on the outside instead of the inside. I am worried about people behind me catching me as well. Gotta get over that.
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

Decent transition.Had to sit down to take off my wet suit. Gotta practice that more.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 51m 7s
  • 16 miles
  • 18.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Love to bike. Beat my time from last year. YEA... Fueled on the bike at the 30min point of the race, I think that that helped me toward the end of the bike. I felt strong on the hills and was flying on the downhills, gotta figure out where to pick up a little more speed. I think the super cool looking Trek with flames on it would help..

I did not have a bento box so I stuck cliff power shots under my seat, one fell out, the other stayed. Get a bento box for the race. I wonder when people fuel, do they suck those things down in one gulp or do they take a little bit at a time>>
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I was so close to the transition gate that I just clipped out and jogged it in. Didn't want to take any risks. I didn't take off my helment until I got to the rack, coulda done that one better. I was stiff out the transition, my wife said I gotta stretch more. She's right!!

Pratice dismount and stretch.
Run
  • 21m 55s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah, the run is becoming the weaker part of my tri, interesting...gotta work on that one more. I was stiff coming off the bike, took about 1 mile to warm up and get into a pace. I was scared that I wouldn't have enough left at the end, I did, however, finish really strong (just as I did last year)Also stopped to drop off my water bottle with my wife and son, pose for a picture :).

Go out stronger. Not stop to say hi to people. BRICK
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, stretch a little, talk to Peter and Freddie, my wife and son and Kira (Peter's wife)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim and Run, need to get more agressive with each of these. Don't know what it is about the bike but I found myself smiling and hammering the last part of the course, did I say that I love to Bike?? Perhaps if I could translate that good feeling to my swimming and running that would help...

Event comments:

Definantly need to get more confident with my swimming and running. My next race I am going to take the inside passing lane. I find myself drifting away from the pack I think this is due to my fear of getting run over and wanting to look for open water, I think I pay for this however, in swimming back to the bouy.. Will see if the inside philosophy works for next race.

Last updated: 2006-12-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:30 | 804 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 88/275
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Sonar
Course: Out and around bouy
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:07 | 16 miles | 18.78 mile/hr
Overall: 42/275
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Circular
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:21:55 | 03 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 94/275
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
New York City
Subject: New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series - Race #1 Triathlon

2007-06-11 12:20 PM
in reply to: #839063

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: RE: New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series - Race #1 Triathlon

Ben,

If you ever learn how to swim you'll kick some a$$ . Nice bike loop and really a decent run too. All that on limited training. Very nice. I think i'm happy i was a no-show!

I guess you weren't feeling the pressure of being #1 this year huh? 

Edited by rollinbones 2007-06-11 12:22 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series - Race #1 Triathlon Rss Feed