Keuka Lake Triathlon Association C/O Score This!!!, Inc
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 12s
Overall Rank = 80/127
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, ate peanutbutter sandwich, an apple and yogurt, and a granola bar. Packed the car and left at 5.
Event warmup:

Not much, set up transition, looked at the water, thought about not swimming because it was cold, used the restroom about 700 times.
Swim
  • 33m 37s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Just plain bad. This is usually my best event, but the extremely brief warm up of about a minute combined with the cold water just destroyed me. I could not catch my breath for about 10 minutes. I would take 3 or 4 strokes and gasp for air, breast stroke for a stroke or two and start again. I even considered quiting because I couldn't imagine swimming the whole thing like that. I did finally catch my breathe and was okay, but my sighting was poor, not fluid really. Overall, just sucky. I suppose for a first swim of the season not bad, but knowing that without too much effort I should be 3 minutes or more faster bugs me. I also never really found a good rhythm, I was breathing every stroke and mostly on one side, very unlike me and eventually uncomfortable, but I needed the air. The stairs to the transitions was certainly challenging, the run from the water to the timing mat took me a full minute, but I took the stairs very carefully. That minute was in my swim time, but doesn't make me any happier with my swim time.
What would you do differently?:

A warm up to get accustomed to the water temp would help, the 30 seconds I swam didn't do enough to prep my body for the effort and the cold all at once. I'm sure the next one will be better. I wonder if sleeves would have made a difference.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

I was 45th overall, 10th woman and 3rd in my age group. That's some kind of record!! I've tried to focus on moving more slowly but deliberately once I'm in front of my gear. It seems to help. The wetsuit was of course stuck, when is it not! But all else went well. For the first time I wore my race belt under my wetsuit so as soon as I was running with the bike I was sure I forgot something. I even was able to wipe my feet! And I ran the long way around the bike racks.

Go the short way around the racks. Someday my mount will be more graceful and less elephant like, but that's the least of my concerns.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 59s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I'd done a 60 mile ride the day before on the Musselman course and thought this thing was a killer, I'm not unhappy though. I don't know why this says 16.9 and the website results say 17.2, but in anycase, considering I didn't put race effort in until the last 6 that were downhill, I'm pretty okay with it. I corner poorly and turn around cones poorly, so that I did it well today is great.

If I were to race this again, I would have to become a better hill climber, but that takes work...
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Again, way faster than lots of people. What am I doing right?
Run
  • 49m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Excellent pacing, good run, overtook 4 women, consistent and felt good, especially considering yesterdays 60 mile ride and 4 mile run. No complaints and solid!

Nothing, I suppose not training hard the day before would get me some seconds on this, but I'm not goint to get greedy
Post race
Warm down:

pack up, get to Geneva, ride motorcycle for a few hours and have some beers!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training hard all week, although this was a race to just get some feel for transitions etc.

Event comments:

Really well done, I like the score-this people, and am hoping this series with points will do well. Well, I hope that I do well! A great venue for a race, despite the steps coming from the water and the temp of the water.

Last updated: 2007-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:37 | 1500 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 70/127
Performance: Below average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:27:59 | 24.85 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 100/127
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: strange with two out and backs and huge hill!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good