Multisport Madness Triathlon Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 56s
Overall Rank = 64/453
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/93
Pre-race routine:

The usual get there and set up. Had to be up by 3:30 to get out the door by a little after 4:00 to into transition by 5:00.
Event warmup:

Jump up and down by the pool/quarry. Got caught in major line for the john that cut down on any warm up.
Swim
  • 07m 2s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was one of the more interesting swims I've ever done. It was combination Roller Derby and make a whirlpool with your friends in your back yard pool. Even though it was 400 there were a lot of wet suits. I don't see the need for a swim that short and so shallow. But the cold water did smack me one right in the face. I took one breath in a couldn't get it out. Had to breast stroke a few yards just to breath and get acclimated.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Still fumbling around way too much. Went to the wrong rack too. Long run out. Bike got caught up trying to get it off rack and had to untangle from guy next to me. Plus I set up on the wrong side. Getting better though.

Just about everything. Strip it down and build it back up.
Bike
  • 42m 9s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 20.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I propbably could have charged a little harder but I was trying to leave some in the tank for the run. I had this guy in front of me out there who was making it a little difficult. I had to make a choice. Go way faster than I wanted to to put him away or stay behind him. We were going to same speed and everytime I tried he would get pissed (I'd hear him grunt) and pass me again. Plus the marshalls were out right with about a group of 5 of us. When we got within a couple miles though I finally decided to screw it and nose down to pass and then get him off my wheel. Too late though.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Need quick tie laces. Oh and a mystery bike got wedged in between me and the guy next to me. That happens, I get it. What I don't get is how my race belt (always sticking out of my left shoe) got completely tangled up in his spokes. What the hell?

Quick ties.
Run
  • 28m 33s
  • 4.4 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

And this is where my confusion starts. The results have me at a 6:58 pace. My watch has me around 6:35ish and here has 6:30. The distances were screwy. I think the official distance is 4.1. But that last bit wasn't a tenth. If the mile markers were in the wrong place then 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 were both wrong but exactly the same distance. Again, according to my watch. Does this make sense? I'm happy to say that no one passed me on the run. That is always a goal. I was the one doing the passing.

Good story...passed a guy with gum stuck on top his head (closely cropped hair). I asked him if he was saving it for later. He started laughing - he left it in his helmet prior to the swim (what the???) and he forgot about it. He said he even passed several family and friends and no one said anything. I just thought he may not want it there for the picture.

I had enough energy to have a conversation toward the end. I need to leave it all out there.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Transition.

Event comments:

Really good race. Really happy I did it. Will definitely use it as a tune up next year as well.

Last updated: 2007-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:02 | 400 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 45/93
Overall: 208/453
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: 200M loop around a pool/quarry. Shallow area at the start/finish that you had to run through.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:09 | 14.7 miles | 20.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/93
Overall: 82/453
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Nice loop. Really nice. One road had those full length deep cracks that are kidney busters and make it hard to keep full hard charging momentum. One of the best I've ridden.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:33 | 04.4 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/93
Overall: 45/453
Performance: Good
Course: Loop on the Fox River.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 2:24 PM

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il
Subject: Batavia Triathlon

2007-06-11 2:54 PM
in reply to: #839416

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: RE: Batavia Triathlon
Great race man!  Sounds like you had a blast.  Fantastic run, too.  Clean up those transitions and then I will have to move out of this age group.
2007-06-12 7:30 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Holy FASSSSSSSSSSSSSSST runner! You're a machine!

Not to mention your fast swim and bike times...

I did that race in 2004 and the run distances were screwy then. Surprised they haven't changed that up yet. (!?)

Congratulations on a job well done.

Poor Bob. Covered in Cicadas. I don't know why THAT made me laugh. Poor Bob. Frown

Yay for Joe from Wisconsin!!!!

Heh.  

2007-06-12 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Glad to hear that you've gotten over the whining.    Because if you hadn't, I would have had to resort to something like smacking you upside the head the next time I saw you (and don't think I wouldn't do it!  )

Great race, Jonathon!  You're a little Speedy Gonzalez, ain't ya? And to think that this is just a prelude to your REAL racing for the year....

I agree -- poor Bob's plight with the cicadas made me giggle a little.  Poor Bob.

2007-06-13 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Nice race + great run! Wow
2007-06-15 10:51 PM

User image

Great race man. awesome times and a great run. keep up the good work.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Batavia Triathlon Rss Feed