Multisport Madness Triathlon Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 36s
Overall Rank = 358/453
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 53/59
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00 - a couple slices of whole wheat toast with PB , water and a cup of coffee. Double checked the transition bag in case the gremlins messed with it while I slept - no all was fine. Mounted bike rack. Pumped up tires racked bike and woke the dear wife. Drove to the race, found parking nearby and got in line. So far so good.

After the mix up with the race numbers the previous two days what came next shouldn't really have been surprising. No chip for me. What? Twice you pooch me? As if I don't have enough anxiety already. So the RD comes over and there is another guy in my predicament. Rd talks into Walkie Talkie and disappears. WTF?

After 10 min or so I start looking at the sheets that had the chips on them - lo and behold mine is there, just in wrong place - GRRRR lost time for nothing - ah well roll with it.

Down to body marking then off to transition. That 10 min delay definately hosed up my selection of spots. Then this guy was taking a crapload of room. Hey Buddy can you move your stuff over there are two more folks who need to fit in here. Got a dirty look and he moves his bike hmm 2-3 inches - how nice of him! One in every crowd. Now the Volunteers are moving through "Transition is closing, move down to the beach" - Hey I just got here! - ok Breathe... Finish setting up - kiss DW and sneak off to pee in the woods then head down to the start area.
Event warmup:

No time due to chip snafu. But standing around before start Rowdy came by and said hello, Nice fellow and I appreciated the introduction. He was the only BT'er there I saw pre or post race. And he saw me because of the shorts I'm sure.
Swim
  • 06m 7s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seeded according to swim times. Swimmers sent in at 5 sec intervals. First number in was 201 I was 225 so definately in the fast group which was nice but.. that comes into play later :)

My turn came up quickly - GO! run and dive - HOLY COW that's cold! Took my breathe away and the first 200m or so I just was trying to get into a rythem, establish bi-lateral breathing and relax - settled in on first bouy and passed a couple people - but wasn't pushing too hard.

At the end of the laps it is shallow so there is actually some running to do, turned for second lap.

Now there were more swimmers - some doing frog kicking, others just slower than I am. Swung outside - a little to far but still was passing people. Around the turns and heading for exit - got up and ran out into transistion - all in all pretty happy with the swim leg.

What would you do differently?:

Sight a little better
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Tried to be rather deliberate in my actions not frantic but not pokey either, helmet on, glasses on, HR monitor on, sock and shoes - all in all not too bad, getting a dry shirt pulled on over a wet body was not very smooth but not bad either.

Wear a one piece tri suit so could cut time on shirt and HRM. Not sure it makes a big deal with my run as bad as it is.
Bike
  • 52m 12s
  • 14.6 miles
  • 16.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Being a fast swimmer unfortunately (?) put me up with the faster athletes. As expected the swarms started to pass me about 5 miles out of town. I am happy to provide the first passing opportunity for so many people today - In fact it became sort of funny. As they would blow by, I know they were feeling good about it. but I had to ride my race and not compare myself to anyone else. Rowdy was nice - told me to keep it up - he passed me pretty early, then this guy I see from the pool passed me - also offered encouragement - again appreciated. If asked how many people passed me on the bike - I think they ALL did. :)

Nothing really, I was faster than my training rides and felt pretty good the whole time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Glad I had laced up shoes this morning and brought a small plastic shoe horn - made the shoes go on better.

As we headed to run out a vol said "Good luck" a nice gesture to be sure, some little runner dude growls "Luck has nothing to do with it" Lighten up brother, it's the Batavia Triathlon not freaking Kona! Besides if you're just catching my slow fat a$$ now then you maybe need to work on few things ok? Cuz some of these people I am pretty sure passed me twice already! Humph!

nothing
Run
  • 45m 19s
  • 4.4 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Comments? Bataan Death March? Here to Eternity? The Longest Day?
Gack I was slow.. no real problem getting my running legs (such as they are), but HR was high from the start - figure 90% is not really good just starting out, so we did some walking till it would drop below 85% then run again. The early part of the run takes you past the finish area, as I run past I hear "Hi Poppie"... my daughters were there with my ex wife - nice of them to come down so I was sure to be out of eyesight before I walked again.

That pattern continued as I ran + walked the next 3 miles. All sorts of people passed me tall ones, short ones, fat ones, skinny ones, young ones old ones, yes it was turning into Dr Suess out there!

At one point there was an old woman taking her sunday walk along the river - it was a very pretty morning for it, and everyone was huffing by her. Well heck - I gave her a cheery "Good Morning" and her face lit up - felt good. A little later, near a lagoon a couple of herons were have a terratorial dispute - it was like watching teradactyls. It's not like I wasn't taking the run seriously - but more like I was enjoying the experience knowing that I was going as fast as I could, and it's such a nice morning I may as well enjoy it. finally cam einto the end and pushed - funny how the crowd actually got me to come in a lot stronger than I really was the whole race. Looked better than I felt I promise.

The three week taper didn't help. Maybe leave the HRM at home so I don't watch it too carefully or(?)
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around with wife, have some water and bananas, talk to Mike from the pool he came in about 13 minutes faster than I. Nice job Mike!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training last three weeks in particular. Need more volume. Drop another 10lbs would help but is unlikely this season (ah there will be more!) 23 years of smoking.

Event comments:

For my first I came in about what I expected - yesterday I predicted 1:45. I don't feel elated, but I do feel satisfied.
I learned some things about myself
1)I enjoy interacting with people - the volunters and other racers.
2) I can enjoy myself even if I am not competative.
3) I need to lose more weight
4) Concentrate on run and bike in training
5) I'll be back!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:07 | 437 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/59
Overall: 70/453
Performance: Good
Suit: tri bottoms
Course: Twice around the Quarry pool, clearly marked depth ranging from 17' to 2'. Sandy bottom. Water was pretty cold.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:12 | 14.6 miles | 16.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 51/59
Overall: 341/453
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: (and I quote their website) "The 14.7-mile bike course is a circuit, starting and ending at the transition point at Quarry Beach Park. The course reaches the furthest limits of Batavia. As the course heads west, the terrain becomes hilly, but presents the chance to view much of prairie on the western edges of town."
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:19 | 04.4 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/59
Overall: 395/453
Performance: Below average
Course: You know, they say it so eloquently... "The Batavia Triathlon features a running course that follows the Fox River. The running portion of the Batavia Triathlon will utilize both the east and west sides of the Kane County Fox River Trail. Runners will enjoy the river vistas and shaded forest preserve paths."
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 6:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Subject: Batavia Triathlon

2007-06-11 11:50 PM
in reply to: #839862

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: Batavia Triathlon
Don't worry about being passed. If you didn't get passed by anyone what motivation would you have to train harder? Just keep at it and your fitness will improve.
2007-06-12 10:25 AM
in reply to: #839862

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

Dave:

Congrats man!! Don't sweat being passed, I'm sure all that passed you thought Holy Crap that guy swims fast.  Take it from a guy who knows, a 3-week taper doesn't breed fast results.  Don't beat yourself up, we're not professional triathletes, we do this for fun (Yea right, you believe that crap and I'll sell you a bridge) ...You'll be better prepared next time!

p.s. Just look at all the cool tri photos you got!!

Edited by 1st Timer in NY 2007-06-12 10:26 AM
2007-06-15 4:51 PM
in reply to: #840620

User image

Good job yourself Dave. Keep on training and pushing yourself.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Batavia Triathlon Rss Feed