Davis Aquatic Masters
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 31/34
Pre-race routine:

Me and my sister have done this swim together since 2001 - so it's a tradition at this point. She came up on Friday night and we hung out and ended up talking til about midnight. Got up about 6:15 or so on Saturday and rousted sis out of bed (for some reason she didn't want to get up) - we ended up leaving about 7:00 for Napa. We arrived at the race site about 9:00 and even though the ranger guy at the park told us the regular parking was full, we tried it anyway, and scored a totally cool spot very close. It was a tiny spot, but then my sister drives a tiny car. Closest we've ever been able to park. Walked over to the race site, got registered, body marked, goodie bag, found the people we knew and settled down for some serious hanging out. The 2 mile went off at 10:00 but the one mile didn't start until about 11:30 so we had plenty of time.
Event warmup:

About 20 or so minutes before the race we went down to the water and started the process of getting used to the temp. Of course, all the people already IN the water kept telling us how great it was once you got in. Getting in was the problem, the water was COLD. So, got in a few inches at a time, then breast stroked a bit then finally took the plunge and got my face in the water. We swam back and forth a few times and called it good.
Swim
  • 39m 20s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim is set off in waves. The women 40 and over are the 2nd to last wave. We all waded into the water, did the countdown and were OFF! As usual, it was nice and sunny. Just a really great day to be outside.

I found a really good pair of feet to draft off of for the first leg, and felt that my performance was good. I kept up with my drafting feet pretty well, and I didn't have to work that hard. Once we rounded the first buoy I lost the feet and it got a little crowded. However, this was a master's swim, so there was none of that getting hit, kicked, and ran over that happens when you do a triathlon. :)

Around the first buoy was fine, and then you swim around this island, and then back to the finish. Somewhere in the around the island part, I ended up breathing in some water - so once I rounded the 2nd buoy, with a straight shot back to the finish, I had to pause and get rid of the lake water.

The last part of the swim wasn't very crowded at all (well, I was also off the back) so I got into a good rhythm and just went for it. The only problem was I kept swimming off to the side and I had to keep correcting my line which was annoying. Finally finished, after swimming for what like seemed forever without the balloons at the end getting ANY CLOSER!
What would you do differently?:

My time this year was 39:20 about 1.5 minutes faster than last year, but still not really close to my best time of 37 minutes and change. I probably need to swim more so I can swim faster.

I felt good about this swim overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out for a while more, then headed out, went to this gourmet deli/grocery and got the Best Sandwich Ever. Then went shopping, cause how else would you end the perfect day?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough time in the pool maybe?

Event comments:

Nice race, and well organized.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:20 | 1760 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: swimsuit
Course: somewhat triangular. Swim out, around an island, and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 8:43 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Lake Berryessa Swim

2007-06-11 8:57 PM
in reply to: #839973

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Lake Berryessa Swim

Sounds fun & great thing to do w/ your sister.

Nice drafting & improvement from last year!

Congrats! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Berryessa Swim Rss Feed