United States
Midwest Events
80F / 27C
Total Time = 1h 40m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 49/62
Pre-race routine:

Had bike and gear packed the night before. Woke up, had coffee, juice, a banana, and a Clif bar en route to the race. 1st time to White Bear Lake - took a few minutes to figure out where to park.
Event warmup:

Virtually none. I didn't have alot of time to spare, and then the transition area was closed. And then, I waited for an hour to begin. Found a shady spot, but still lost some energy I'm sure by waiting nervously with no water / gatorade in hand.

Did a quick 50 meter warmup swim just before my wave started, but nothing else.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 880 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt good. Might not have been fast, but felt confident in the open water. A precursor to better speed, lets hope. Only my 3rd triathlon but the swim part is no longer a big mindgame for me. Good progress.
What would you do differently?:

Get that stuff to clear fog off my goggles. It really hurt me on the way back. Had to stop a couple times to figure out where the bouys were, and then spotted the building on the beach and just used that.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Slow. I need to work on this transition. Knew I wanted to dry off due ot swimmers itch, so that added 15-20 seconds intentionally. Also, I still use socks, and putting those on when your hands are shaky is slow.

Practice taking my wetsuit off! Begin training without socks.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 13.4 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Very disappointing bike. Legs were sore from the start. Felt that I had gotten a decent pace (for me), but then began getting passed by many. Only passed a couple. Would have guessed I was above 19, but struggled to reach 18.

I passed people on hills. that tells me I've got a glimmer of hope!

More mileage! Need to practice with a stronger pace. Consider aerobars. really need to work on my bike. 52 out of 62 isn't where I want to be!
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

felt good. found my spot right away. Overall, not bad.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Bonk!! 200 meters into the run, I began to really struggle. I can normally do 7:30's in a regular 5k and 8's in a Tri. I did 9:05's here. Maybe it was the heat (80 by this point), maybe my nutrition. whatever the case, I did something wrong. I seriously wondered if I'd break 10. Haven't ever had this happen before, and hopefully never again.

Get better nutrients on the bike. Have gatorade with me during that 1 hour wait to swim!! Really think through my fluid intake better, because the run is where it catches up with you.
Post race
Warm down:

1st time I've ever needed to just sit down after any type of race. More evidence that my fluids or nutrients were way off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Simply speaking, need more bike miles. Also, need to really get better at nutrients. First time I've bonked in a race. Horrible feeling. Took me all day Sunday and Monday a.m. to recover from the bonk.

Took a shower at Lifetime on the way home and weighed myself. Lost 7 lbs during this race. Seems like alot.

Event comments:

Disappointing performance, but nice race course. I'll do it again next year.

Last updated: 2007-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 880 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 47/62
Overall: 62/
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Out and back. As has been documented here, most believe it was longer than 880 yards.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 13.4 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 52/62
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course: Very nice bike course. With the exception of getting passed constantly, I really enjoyed the scenery.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 49/62
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: They said flat... but I swear there was a hill! Nice run route, though.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-12 4:25 PM

Expert
Subject: Manitou Sprint Triathlon

2007-06-12 4:55 PM
in reply to: #841628

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Manitou Sprint Triathlon
Good job.  You'll nail that nutrition next time.  Good luck in the next one!
2007-06-12 5:00 PM

User image

Elite
Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you.  Of course, maybe I did and didn't know who you were.  Try riding without socks sometime.  I find running without them tears up my feet.  But, if I ride without them and then put socks on in T2 when feet are dry it works very well.  Hope to see you at the next race.
2007-06-14 2:28 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Congrats on the race.  Sorry you didn't have time to hydrate before the event.  That probably made a difference.  You'll get it next time.  In my book, confidence in the water is a BIG accomplishment (still working on that).  Nice hill climbs on the bike...
2007-06-15 6:21 PM

Expert
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I've had a great week of training and can already tell that I'll do better in the next one!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Manitou Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed