in reply to: #850353

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-06-19 10:39 AM
in reply to: #850353

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Help allay my nerves
kproudfoot - 2007-06-19 9:10 AM

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=68993&posts=41&highlight=buffalo&highlightmode=1#M723346

Here, I found the link to the forumn on discussion of clydes, etc.

thanks for the link to the thread. All in all I think the whole discussion is funny about the weight class cutoff. I just made up my own little group in my head (lumpy) to compete against in the race to stay focused and push myself. Its a little mental game I like to play with myself as I tend to be a BOPer. But first and foremost, I'm at a triathlon to compete against myself. Maybe someday it will be nice to place in a race, but every day that I can look in the mirror and see the changes in my body as a result of training. I've won! Of course I feel fortunate to have a lot of internal self motivation to do this sport. But it took about 20 years to come to that point. So if it takes a hippo, rhino, buffalo category for some people to get involved, so be it. Make it up in your head as your waiting to start the swim and go for it. But also remember that for those of us who would qualify for the rhino, hippo, and buffalo categories, the races we do now are just points along the way in a much bigger race to become healthier and maybe someday place in that Clyde, AG, or overall category!
2007-06-19 11:56 AM
in reply to: #842013

Veteran
I think the Hippo category is hardcore. That means I get to eat other racers, right?

2007-06-20 8:20 PM

South Elgin, IL
Thanks for the RR Josh- I def. learned some stuff from your tips- esp. the part about sitting down on your butt in transition to wash your feet...Im worried about getting all the sand off my feet b/c Im the type of person who one grain of sand will make me miserable and blistery for the rest of the race. Im thinking of dumping a GALLON of water over my feet or someone suggested filling a small rubbermaid type tote with water and swishing your foot around in it. I have the bodyglide but still, my skin is sensitive to the littlest of upsets. Im a new swimmer (and hell, not that good of a biker or runner, if you must know!) ---I know I wont drown or struggle, but I do worry about being reallly slow....also, our bike portion has 2 laps of the same 7.5 miles so mentally that will be weird to "re-do" it after the first lap....but all I plan on doing is trying to focus and putting one foot in front of the other...really, Im racing nobody but myself and my goal is to learn a lot from this one so I can do more. I do worry about finishing last, but this race has over 1,000 people in it, so I hope thats not the case but I am prepared if it is the case....if nothing else, being last in the triathlon will make for a charming dinner party story, right? I gotta get rid of this head-trash...... Thanks again for your help. I hope you post another report after your next race!
Tara
2007-06-20 10:16 PM
in reply to: #853445

Veteran
checkpointchica - 2007-06-20 8:20 PM

Thanks for the RR Josh- I def. learned some stuff from your tips- esp. the part about sitting down on your butt in transition to wash your feet...Im worried about getting all the sand off my feet b/c Im the type of person who one grain of sand will make me miserable and blistery for the rest of the race. Im thinking of dumping a GALLON of water over my feet or someone suggested filling a small rubbermaid type tote with water and swishing your foot around in it. I have the bodyglide but still, my skin is sensitive to the littlest of upsets. Im a new swimmer (and hell, not that good of a biker or runner, if you must know!) ---I know I wont drown or struggle, but I do worry about being reallly slow....also, our bike portion has 2 laps of the same 7.5 miles so mentally that will be weird to "re-do" it after the first lap....but all I plan on doing is trying to focus and putting one foot in front of the other...really, Im racing nobody but myself and my goal is to learn a lot from this one so I can do more. I do worry about finishing last, but this race has over 1,000 people in it, so I hope thats not the case but I am prepared if it is the case....if nothing else, being last in the triathlon will make for a charming dinner party story, right? I gotta get rid of this head-trash...... Thanks again for your help. I hope you post another report after your next race!
Tara

Tara,

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and feelings and sharing them with me. You know, the person across from me in T1 had a small bucket filled with luke warm water to wash off her feet. She said I could use it, but I decided to stick with the old attage about not changing anything on race day.

I like the sitting down aspect and using a squirt bottle personally as it a) gives me a few seconds to recover and b) being on the ground allows me to inspect the feet to make sure they are clean. I then quick towel dry them and throw on socks (yep, I love me some socks) and shoes.

As far as coming in last, the more I think about my first race I'm GLAD I came in last. I know you are saying.... WTF.. but hear me out. I 'finished' last, but there were 11 people who registered who either didn't finish, didn't start, or didn't even show up.

You will NEVER be last when you finish a triathlon. You may cross the finish line last, but you've still won a prize that is priceless.

God I'm rambling here.. haha.

This weekend's course is shorter, but I kid you not I fear fear fear fear fear fear (did I mention fear?) the bike course. 6 miles of steep climbs and screaming descents, followed by a turn around and steep climbs and screaming descents. But at the same time, I'm looking forward to it for some reason. I am no longer worried about what place I finish in, I'm more worried about giving it my all.

I do have a 'goal' of coming in with a sub-2hr time, and it would be nice to have someone else behind me at the end, but remember that at the end of the day 99% of the population will never try a tri.

Josh
2007-06-21 2:21 AM

Silverdale, WA
Josh,

Good luck on your race this weekend...you don't need it, but good luck! I am amazed at so many of the people on this site as they are a constant source of inspiration. As one of "those people" who things seem to come fairly easy to without always putting in my full share of effort, the people that truely push themselves past sterotypes and every other hurdle that is put in front of them paint the picture of the person that I want to be.

I really hope that did not sound insulting, what I was trying to say is that I don't want to be a slacker and non-slackers, such as yourself, inspire me to better myself. Thank you!!!

Rick

2007-06-21 9:15 AM
in reply to: #853642

Veteran
rickyjgo - 2007-06-21 2:21 AM

Josh,

Good luck on your race this weekend...you don't need it, but good luck! I am amazed at so many of the people on this site as they are a constant source of inspiration. As one of "those people" who things seem to come fairly easy to without always putting in my full share of effort, the people that truely push themselves past sterotypes and every other hurdle that is put in front of them paint the picture of the person that I want to be.

I really hope that did not sound insulting, what I was trying to say is that I don't want to be a slacker and non-slackers, such as yourself, inspire me to better myself. Thank you!!!

Rick

Rick,

I know exactly what you are saying! My best friend in the world Derek is able to pick up just about any sport or instrument and excell at them, so I know what you mean

Thank you for what I consider to be a great compliment.

Josh
2007-06-21 10:18 AM
in reply to: #850621

Elite
Bay Area, CA

sf_biggestloser - 2007-06-19 9:56 AM I think the Hippo category is hardcore. That means I get to eat other racers, right?

Yep - or just run them over.  Hippos are mean beasties...

BTW - you did GREAT on your race.  Any race that you train for and do your level best at is a good race!  Congrats!

2007-06-22 3:13 PM

Veteran
I'm so psyched for tomorrow. A lot of the nerves I had last weekend are gone and now I'm just ready to run my race and kick . I picked up a couple new toys this week:

1 - A gel bot - No more losing gels on the ride anymore, because they are now part of my water bottle.

2 - A polar bottle - For t2 filled with a COLD liquid

3 - Endurolytes - Because I feel that my massive amount of sweating is causing some issues.

Wooohooo.

Josh
2007-06-22 3:14 PM
in reply to: #856346

2007-06-22 3:17 PM
in reply to: #856346

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Go Josh!!!! Remember...don't look ahead to the top of the hill...just look at the few feet of pavement right in front of you... I got that tip from Lance himself...read it somewhere...

Rip it up!

2007-06-22 3:19 PM
in reply to: #856360

Veteran
Scout - 2007-06-22 3:17 PM

Go Josh!!!! Remember...don't look ahead to the top of the hill...just look at the few feet of pavement right in front of you... I got that tip from Lance himself...read it somewhere...

Rip it up!

That is an awesome tip, because with these massive hills I'd probably get discouraged. A few feet ahead is all that matters. Thanks so much for that!

Josh
2007-06-22 3:21 PM
in reply to: #856363

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
I'm glad it helps! I use it when running too! By the way...I love your new avatar... an official triathlete shot! Sweeeeet!
2007-06-22 3:25 PM
in reply to: #856363

Edited by lvthgme 2007-06-22 3:25 PM
2007-06-22 6:18 PM

Veteran
Atlanta
Hey Josh, I'm a fat girl on a nice bike, so I understand what you're saying. At my first tri I looked over at a guy who was doing his first tri. He was wearing a red cap...so I knew he was a newbie. It was Scott Rigsby and he has no legs.

After that, I thought, what in hell do I have to worry about?

2007-06-22 6:58 PM

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire

Josh, 

I just want to say...thank g*d for this thread.  I'm doing my first sprint tri tomorrow morning and all the fears you had are ones I was having.  After reading everyone's advice, I feel soooo much better now

2007-06-22 7:36 PM
in reply to: #856604

Veteran
chop - 2007-06-22 6:18 PM

Hey Josh, I'm a fat girl on a nice bike, so I understand what you're saying. At my first tri I looked over at a guy who was doing his first tri. He was wearing a red cap...so I knew he was a newbie. It was Scott Rigsby and he has no legs.

After that, I thought, what in hell do I have to worry about?

That's awesome, I know Scott from Myspace. He is a helluva guy, and just insanely motivating!

2007-06-22 7:37 PM
in reply to: #856630

Veteran
Shannon3 - 2007-06-22 6:58 PM

Josh,

I just want to say...thank g*d for this thread. I'm doing my first sprint tri tomorrow morning and all the fears you had are ones I was having. After reading everyone's advice, I feel soooo much better now

Woooohooo! It is awesome to look back on this thread just a week or so later and be able to think, man was I being over-anxious/nervous. Tomorrow is my second sprint tri, but I feel like an old pro compared to a mere 7 days ago.

:D
2007-06-22 9:55 PM

Regular
Austin, Texas
Have a great race tomorrow Josh!!

I, too, would like to thank YOU and all who posted TO you. My first Tri is this Sunday and I have almost all the same fears that you do. Somewhere along the way after I started training, I lost sight of my goal to comPLETE the race and started worrying about finishing last. Well......now I know if I do finish last I will have a huge cheering section and that I still will have accomplished something huge. My mind jumps between being excited, scared, anxious, emotional, grateful, blah blah blah...all of it!!!!

Happy Racing and congrats on becoming a Triathlete
2007-06-23 2:58 PM

Veteran
Race report is up from my Wall Lake Sprint Tri today. Just a small spoiler: I kicked compared to last week.
2009-08-13 8:59 PM

Salt Lake City
I'm bumping this thread 14 months later--it is beautiful. The OP, and replies, give insights into our prerace insecurities (I'm doing my second Sprint, at age 52, after an eleven year pause). It also gave me insights into the additional insecurities faces by folks who carry extra pounds. Josh, I realize you've become a "real" triathlete since your original post in 2007, but I wanted to thank you for your post.

2009-08-13 9:58 PM

Veteran

Do not let the look of other triathletes scare you. When I was setting up my transition for my first tri, I was looking at these lean mean machines next to me with 5000k bikes next to my 1500 bike-of which I am proud of-but you know what...I beat them. Size has nothing to do with it-in fact I think you will impress a lot more people by doing it!  Let me add that there were some pretty hefty women and I was thinking they would by dying in exhaustion but those women beat me!!  So, when you look at someone on race day-you don't know where they have come from.  Some people are naturally athletic builds but may not be any better than someone who has worked his/her off and dropped weight to get to where they are that day.  In the end, I presume you are doing this to get in shape and burn some calories...I know for sure you will burn some calories and so what if you finish last...you can only move up from there!  Have a great time and good luck....enjoy yourself and let us know how you did!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help allay my nerves Rss Feed  

of 3