General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road / Tri Bikes on West Metro LRT Trails? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-13 4:01 PM

Expert
Subject: Road / Tri Bikes on West Metro LRT Trails?
Question for you cycling gurus out there. Many of you are probably familiar with the old railbed LRT trails in the west metro. They run from Hopkins west to Victoria through Excelsior, and to Chaska through Eden Prairie. Great trails.

I've done them many times on my mountain bike and the trails are great rides with very few major road crossings. But if I do it with my road bike, will the crushed rock surface kill my good tires or hurt my rims? Is this a better question for my LBS where they can look at my tire quality?

thanks

2007-06-13 4:11 PM
in reply to: #843225

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Road / Tri Bikes on West Metro LRT Trails?
I don't know, but I would be interested to hear.  I generally stick to the paved parts (Hopkins to Cedar Lake/Greenway, etc.) because I'm apprehensive about the crushed rock.  I have ridden on small bits and actually like it with the road tires, because they are thin enough to miss most bumps and rocks.  But I don't know anything about long term wear.
2007-06-14 10:59 AM
in reply to: #843225

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: RE: Road / Tri Bikes on West Metro LRT Trails?
I can't speak much to the increased wear on tires but your wheels should be fine. Most wheels are pretty bombproof and can take way more than the little bumps on the crushed rock trails. Now whether you can handle the trail without your teeth rattling out of your head may be another question.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road / Tri Bikes on West Metro LRT Trails? Rss Feed