General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody working on construction site? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-13 6:53 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: Anybody working on construction site?

Here is a thought : just came back from a construction site and after 8 hours of standing, walking, doing some carpentry work, diging holes etc., man -  I felt really tired. I seems to me that when doing this kind of work  for living - at the end of the day you wouldn't really feel like training. Same when you have to get up at 5:00am to go to the construction site...Would you go for a run in the morning?  Having my own business (rehabbing houses) I have to do this sometimes and when I do - I think of all the people who do it every day and I feel privileged not to be in that group and having the enthusiasm to push the body during training. Anubody out there, who works on construction site for a living and still training? My hat is off to you!

Share a thought how you manage to do that...

2007-06-13 7:27 PM
in reply to: #843410

User image

Spokane
Subject: RE: Anybody working on construction site?

Well, it's not construction but it is manufacturing and it's a factory, hot heavy dusty.  It's a brick factory that I work in and some days are better than others.  I drive heavy machines part of the day and walk and climb and carry heavy stuff part of the day.  I sometimes swim in the morning before work but mostly the workouts are after.  The good thing is that I start at 6, usually done by 2:30 and can be on the road by 3:30. 

At the brick factory, every day is "brick day" but some days are more brick day than others. 

2007-06-13 7:47 PM
in reply to: #843437

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
racinmason - 2007-06-13 7:27 PM

Well, it's not construction but it is manufacturing and it's a factory, hot heavy dusty.  It's a brick factory that I work in and some days are better than others.  I drive heavy machines part of the day and walk and climb and carry heavy stuff part of the day.  I sometimes swim in the morning before work but mostly the workouts are after.  The good thing is that I start at 6, usually done by 2:30 and can be on the road by 3:30. 

At the brick factory, every day is "brick day" but some days are more brick day than others. 

Very similar situation - can you sleep OK after a hard work out at night? I can not. Anything tiring and finished after 7:00pm and I will be lying in bed counting sheep - endorphines I guess...

2007-06-13 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

I do construction for a living also. And I do understand how hard it can be. I have a little more leeway than most because I do work for myself doing re-modeling. So I just have to be creative when I work out. Ex: this week I am rehabing a really big tiled pool deck. Pulling old tile, resurfacing and then laying new tile. It is hot and we start really early. So this week I have been working until about 2 or 3 and then biking on the way home. I'm already dirty so what can it hurt and I take my stuff with so If I get some time I can always go for a run.  Swimming is harder but ya just have to work it in. That does mean usually I train alone but that is OK.  Plus I figure that the good thing is my job helps to keep me in shape for my sport and my sport  helps me keep fit for work. I don't know if this helps but I do understand. Take it easy out there in the heat and good luck.

Chris

2007-06-13 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
i am in new home construction and remodeling. work at daylight and off at 3. it is so hot and the i have to mow yards after work. its tough to find time to train i usually try and either bike or run to he job site. and swim as soon as im done mowing. it is alot easier when its not so blazin hot.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody working on construction site? Rss Feed