General Discussion Race Reports! » Power Maiden Sprint Triathlon - turned Aquathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Power Maiden Sprint Triathlon - turned Aquathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Athens, Texas
United States
Ironhead Race Productions
76F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 29m 15s
Overall Rank = 3/77
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

I woke up pretty early, packed up my stuff, and got all my water bottles ready. Thomas got up and got ready at the last minute (as usual), and we headed out. We opened the hotel door to rain and soaking wet ground. As negative as this is, I was done right then and there. Ain't no way in hell I'm risking road rash for a C race. Not gonna happen. So I cursed the weather all the way to the car. Thomas convinced me to go to the race site and just see what we were in for (I was shocked - I thought he'd be the first one to head back to bed/home). As the time passed, it really looked like it might clear up, so I figured we might be headed for a bit of a race start delay and then it'd be fine.
Event warmup:

We arrived at the Cain Center, and unloaded in the sprinkling rain. I wasn't enthused, but I was getting back at least a little of my "race mentality". I got body marked and put my stuff in my rack spot. I went for about a 0.5 mile jog (if that) and headed for the pool for my real warmup. I jumped in the pool and did about 800m. It felt like ass. I hate swimming in shorts - it feels like my hips are lead. Oh well, from what I could tell looking around the pool, there didn't seem to be any swimming super stars there, so some of my concerns about being top seed went away. I got out at the call for the pre-race meeting, and went to stand outside in the noticeably colder air. There went all my warmup - out the window. It went from breezy and moderate to raining and cold. Awesome.

Low and behold, we got through the race rules, etc. only to have it start thundering. No big deal, I had expected a delay. But then, it was lighting and thundering REALLY badly, and the rain came in spurts of pouring and then just raining. Due to lightning and inability to have proper monitoring of bike removal, Jack tells everyone at 7:30 that NO ONE is allowed to remove bikes from transition, even if you don't want to race. So now we're stuck at least until the storm passes.

Thomas and I hang around and eventually end up back in the car in order to stay warm. We see a huge crack of lightning around 8:30 and decide that we're both hungry, so we'll go get breakfast. At this point, there's no way in hell I'm racing - the rivers gushing through the parking lot are enough to make me want to head home as soon as they open transition to take bikes out. We go to McDonald's (interesting contrast to racing) and get greasy breakfast biscuits and coffee.

The rain on our way back is pelting the car. We pull in, and I run in to check out if they've called the race or what the status is. I find out that they're lining everyone up to do a run-swim. Shit. I sprint outside, grab my cap and goggles from the car and sprint inside. The first 30 women are already lined up in the pool area. I strip my shirt and flip flops off, and run to the front of the line while putting my cap on. Jack makes some announcements telling everyone how to snake swim, and his wife is letting me know that on her count, I start. Literally no more than 1 minute after I got all my stuff together, she says "3... 2... 1.... go!" Here goes nothin! (PS, Thomas is standing in the window laughing at the ridiculousness that is about to ensue).
Swim
  • 04m 24s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

This didn't suck nearly as bad as I thought it might. Granted I felt sluggish, I distanced myself from the pack, so all pride was left intact. And honestly, it was pretty cool for the whole field to cheer when I jumped in :)
What would you do differently?:

Swim more!
Transition 1
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Wahoo! Fastest transition time, baby! Thank goodness Thomas yelled at me to put my race belt on - I probably would have forgotten it. Transition was a soaking wet mess.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 13.8 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Non-existent!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 24m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I know it was raining and I had the equivalent of a brick in my stomach, but this run was disappointing. First of all, I got run down after 1.5 miles, and second, I would have bet my life that I was running faster than that. I honestly was expecting more like 7 min/miles. I have never run so fast in a race - ever. So something is off. I'm not sure if the rain really made that much of a difference - it was just wet. The road didn't feel slippery or anything. In fact, apart from the rain, it was great running weather (temperature-wise). I guess I underestimate the power of coming from a solid running background, because some of the women in the field were freaking fast. Definitely motivation to keep on working on my running. Apparently I'm going to have to dip below 7min/miles to be competitive overall. Grrr.

I'm really not sure if I could have possibly run any faster. I really feel like I maxed out. So I wouldn't have done anything differently today, but I will definitely run more so I can go faster in the future.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to a bunch of women, ate some stuff. Attempted a no-dry-towel-available shower (ie, just a rinse off in hot water). Then waited around for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Chicken legs that have no meat on them :(

Event comments:

Honestly, I have to give Jack and the volunteers a lot of credit. It is undoubtably hard on any race director to go up against crappy weather. People complain, etc. but I really feel like they absolutely made the best out of a bad situation. Volunteers sat around with the competitors for what turned into a 2+ hour delay and then stood in the rain to assist the race. We were handed a whole bunch of lemons, but we managed to make some pretty decent lemonade.

Last updated: 2007-01-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:24 | 300 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 1/77
Performance: Good
No HR data - I've found I don't really like racing with all that stuff.
Suit:
Course: Cain Center pool swim - snake style
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 13.8 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/77
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Soaking wet!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:20 | 03.1 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 11/77
Again, no HR data.
Course: Out and back along trails and back roads. VERY wet.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-16 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Power Maiden Sprint Triathlon - turned Aquathlon

2007-06-16 2:53 PM
in reply to: #846997

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Power Maiden Sprint Triathlon - turned Aquathlon

I'm glad to see you got to race!  And holy crap, 3rd overall!  Very, very impressive.

Don't let the run disgruntle you.  Just keep at it and you'll get there.

Great race!

2007-06-17 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Ugh. I know how all of that feels *flash back to CapTex*. It sucks. You stand there watching the race WASH away. Yuck.

I was wondering why you didn't have a bike split... and now I know why!

You did a great job despite all the problems! Solid swim and run.

2007-06-17 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

Overall a podium finish. That is pretty awesome. I am sure that you can make up that 1 minute deficit over the next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Power Maiden Sprint Triathlon - turned Aquathlon Rss Feed