General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Fish Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Big Fish Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ortonville, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 12s
Overall Rank = 140/249
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the seriously early hour of 4:30 am (which hurt since we'd only gotten to bed around midnight after the Barnaked Ladies Concert). Rode up to Ortonville Recreation Area/Big Fish Lake with Glen and my husband. We were among the first to arrive so we had the transition area almost to ourselves. Tried to figure out how to "hang" my bike from the rack- its so small the front wheel wouldn't even touch the ground when it was racked... just kind of hung. Set up my stuff and just stared at it trying to figure out how it ought to look... got body marked, then just walked away.

Hung out with Tom and Glen down at the picnic shelter staring at the lake. The PA guy was announcing that water was so warm we'd be hot in our suits but they were still legal so I was really tempted to skip it and save the time. Ran into Lizard13 and kellc09 (who look like they could be sisters!) and all the associated family members. I followed liz down to the lake and we stuck our feet in... it was bathwater!! I decided not to use my wetsuit. Put sunscreen on which totally smeared my numbers... I spent the rest of the pre-race time wiping the black all over the place (including Glen's chin when he gave me a hug)... what did I miss? Is there special permanent marker friendly sunscreen out there??

After more hanging out, we ran into Rkreuser who was registered for the Oly but has a nasty cold/cough thing and decided to just jockstrap. He talked me back into wearing my wetsuit so I just decided to do it and stop thinking about it (better get my money's worth, right?).

Finally, they started waves of Olympic athletes and Glen and I started getting prepared/terrified simultaneously.
Event warmup:

Did some light stretching, got in the water and started shivering sitting there waiting to go. Was completely freaked. :)
Swim
  • 10m 29s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

My first experience of the washing machine. It was defintely a little disorienting for the water to be so choppy. I had started behind people and was immediately forced to stop, evaluate, and swim around. The way out was totally fine, then I cut too close to the buoy and had to breast stroke the turn. Immediately got a face full of seaweed and inhaled a mouthfull... a bit of panicked breathing before I remembered to roll on my back (so glad I had the wetsuit!) and calm down. The rest of the swim in was fine except sighting was tough because of all the women still swimming towards us... Couldn't tell who was coming or going. I was one of the 4th or 5th women out of the water, so that was really exciting!
What would you do differently?:

Start in front! Just be more confident of myself and where I was going.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

We had to on concrete up a hill sidewalk to the transition area. I was concentrating so hard on running (but not too fast!) and what I was doing that I forgot to start taking off my suit 'till I was almost there. I basically stripped in front of my bike. Sat down to put on socks & shoes and took time to double check everything. unwrapped a granola bar and stuck it in my jersey pocket and never saw it again. :( Jogged out with my bike and heard rkreuser yelling for me. :)

Start peeling off the wetsuit a lot sooner. Have somewhere more secure for the granola bar. Practice, practice, practice.
Bike
  • 50m 14s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.85 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my weak link and I knew it... I prepared to spend the whole ride being passed... and I was, but not by the hordes I had expected which was reassuring. Of course, the people who did pass passed like they were on the highway and I was at a local park (zoom!). I felt fine for most of the bike, had a gu at the turn arond and lots of gatorade. Got passed by the lead Oly guy and then continued to get passed by other (hot) Oly guys... ;) Came to a tough-ish hill and asked the girl I was passing (stupid me!) if this was The Hill? She laughed and said no, the next one was 10x worse. My stomach sunk.

Sure enough, there it loomed.... I still can't remember having come down it, but it was a total and complete bitch. Half way up I bailed and started walking which was fine with me.... I was practically hyperventilating and knew I needed to get my HR undercontrol before the run. Gave me a chance to relax my legs too... so whatever. I still wasn't last in my AG!! And the ride was really pretty (can't forget that part).

Ride more. Get a new bike some day. Ride more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

I heard rick (rkreuser) cheering again, cool! I could have done this a lot faster, but paused to chug more gatorade and water just to catch my breath and make sure I was still doing everything right.

Practice so I knew exactly what I was doing.
Run
  • 27m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt awesome about the run. The first .25 mile I spent getting my breathing under control and mentally trying to relax. It was getting hot out and I knew if I went out crazy I'd surely crash. There was a 14 year old girl in front of me who was setting a nice pace, but then she started breathing really heavy and I took off past her (later on the way back I saw her still heading out but walking). The State Park ladies were cheering for us as we exited so I thanked them... they had an early morning and a hot, long day!!

No women passed me during the run until the very end when I got passed by the fast ladies from the age groups that started the swim after me... the rest of the run I was passing people. I passed a handful of chicks in my AG who had blown by me on the bike. YAY! I didn't have anything left for a sprint in... but I finished with a smile.

Nothing except go faster when that's possible some day!
Post race
Warm down:

We got handed a cold, wet towel that must have come straight to me from God, it was that heavenly. They should do this at ALL races in the summer... it was so fabulous to wipe all the sweat off and cool down my burning face!!

Tom took pictures and I got food. I realize now I never stretched. Oops.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. Bike skills.

Event comments:

I had a blast & cannot wait 'til the next one!!!

I'm truly shocked and amazed at how my swim stacked up comparatively- I didn't even think it was a good swim, but 2nd AG and 48th OA?! Damn! I'm also amazed I was 5th in my age group... I was 5 minutes away from being 3rd. Too bad next year I"ll be in the next AG which is much more competitive. Sucks to turn 30!

Last updated: 2007-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:29 | 547 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 48/249
Performance: Good
Suit: full sleeve wetsuit
Course: Straight out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:14 | 12.43 miles | 14.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/19
Overall: 207/249
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:45 | 03.11 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/19
Overall: 98/249
Performance: Good
Course: Basically another out and back but mostly on a dirt/gravel road with shade!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-16 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: Big Fish Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-06-16 4:59 PM
in reply to: #847037

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Big Fish Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Whoop Whoop!!!

Way to go Triathlete!!! Way to go!!!

2007-06-16 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

THAT was a great report.  I can so read the excitement in your words....

You did well!!  CONGRATS!!  Way to bring the run home strong.  

Did you impress the hubby enough that he will buy you a new bike?

2007-06-16 9:29 PM
in reply to: #847209

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
fromer - 2007-06-16 9:48 PM

THAT was a great report.  I can so read the excitement in your words....

You did well!!  CONGRATS!!  Way to bring the run home strong.  

Did you impress the hubby enough that he will buy you a new bike?

Thanks!!!  I'm not sure about the new bike... but maybe I'll keep my eye posted for steals on craigslists and the like. 

2007-06-16 10:13 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You kicked butt out there today!!!!

Awesome Awesome!

2nd fastest swim split in your AG and MOP on the bike and your running is amazing...you were passing folks all through it.

Be proud triathlete another cool athletic thing you have done.

I just think with a different bike and more time riding, you'd be getting hardware!!

Congrats!!!!!!!

You rocked it~ 

2007-06-17 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Awsum report!!! Im so glad that you had alot of fun and you did really really good. The bike can be worked on but it sounds like you have the run and swim down already Will I see you at Motor City next weekend ?

2007-06-17 9:28 AM
in reply to: #847412

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

kellc09 - 2007-06-17 10:26 AM Awsum report!!! Im so glad that you had alot of fun and you did really really good. The bike can be worked on but it sounds like you have the run and swim down already Will I see you at Motor City next weekend ?

thanks!

I won't make it to Motor City this year... I'll be down in Indy for my dad's b-day.  Now that I've done my first tri I can't wait for the next though!

2007-06-17 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
Awesome job and great race report.  Hopefully you'll get some more races in this year.
2007-06-17 7:18 PM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI
GREAT JOB yourself!! It's a great place for my first Tri ever, I just hope to be calmer in the water next time Your overall time and swim time were impressive!
2007-06-17 8:13 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
What an AWESOME job!!! Killer swim, great run. And the bike will come. I'm so impressed and proud of you. We do need to find a race we can do together soon, and certainly before you have tons more experience and age into the 30-34 age group and are racing against me.

I'm so proud of you!!
2007-06-21 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarnia
Congratulations!  Great Report... Awesome Race!!!

2007-06-23 9:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice job, BIG FISH!   I'm so glad you had fun, you really rocked it strong!  Get out there and ride that bike like you run those legs, and you'll be pretty much unstoppable next time!

Good work

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Fish Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed