United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 41s
Overall Rank = 3629/5281
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got-up pretty early after a crappy nights sleep in the dorm room. Dorms were great and I would highly reccomend them, just didn't sleep well.
Event warmup:

Took the busses to the event and got to the starting line an hour before start. Drank some water and stretched. Really wasn't enough room to do a pre-run. Emily found me about 10 minutes before the start so we were able to run together.
Run
  • 2h 18m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Run got really hot towards the end. I was told they put up the black flag for full marathoners. I felt really good for the first 8-9 miles and was enjoying my run with Emily. Took very few walk breaks in the first 7 miles or so which may have been a mistake. I did most of my training at a faster pace, but with 1 minutes walk breaks after evry 10 minutes. Also, longest training run was 10 miles. I missed my last long run and decided to do Manitou tri instead. BIG mistake. I pretty much lost it at mile 11.5 or so. Right quad cramped up tight and I kind of fell apart. Spent the last 1.5 miles shuffle hopping along.
What would you do differently?:

Train much better. Absolutely need to get more longer runs in. My body knew when it had hits it's longest run and didn't want to go much further. Also, train the way I want to run. If I train with walk breaks I need to run with them.
Post race
Warm down:

I was pretty upset with myself for my weak finish so I pretty much sprinted out the final 200 yards. Probably not the best idea. Felt like I was going to blow chunks for a half hour or so afterwords. Talked to Emily and tried to keep down some Ensure.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Also weight. I will be down 20 more pounds for Pigman HIM.

Event comments:

I really did enjoy the race. Emily was fun to run with and until the end I felt really strong. I was pretty down on myself for my time yesterday, but I'm starting to feel better about it. It was my first half marathon and I have only been running for 1.5 years. Weather was pretty warm and very little breeze. I'm going to chalk this up as a great learning experiance and say it was a successful first half marathon.

Last updated: 2007-03-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:41 | 13.1 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/5281
Performance: Average
Course: The course was really nice. Some very gentle rollers. Was able to find shade on the left hand side when needed.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-17 10:55 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Gary Bjorkland Half Marathon

2007-06-17 11:35 AM
in reply to: #847460

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Gary Bjorkland Half Marathon
Great job on your first half marathon!  Don't be so hard on yourself.  This is a life sport, not a one time thing.  You have the right attitude by chalking this up to just another experience in your new sport.  Congrats.
2007-06-17 11:45 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Congrats on your first Half. I'm with Birkie - don't be so hard on yourself. It's a fun weekend regardless of outcome. Use this as a building block in your progression towards your next goals.
2007-06-17 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,

Sounds like a PR to me!

So we both need to buckle down a bit on the whole training thing. It was a beautiful day, if a bit warm. Great event, got a free adult beverage afterwards if you so desired.

Nice job - seeya in a couple weeks. 

2007-06-17 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Hey, you did what you were able to and you finished strong!  You know know what you have to do in order to get faster.  I know that you will be dedicated enough to get the volume in before Pigman.  I would even venture a bet, that your run split will be faster at pigman than it was yesterday!!

Train Hard!!

2007-06-17 5:59 PM
in reply to: #847650

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Sorry I ruined your race by running   Next time I will leave you behind a lot sooner.  But seriously, I really enjoyed your company and I'm sorry you weren't feeling good at the end.  I don't think you were the only one, from what I've been hearing.  That sun was brutal and the last mile was the pits.  But there were some great parts too and it's always an experience.

2007-06-18 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Sounds like you had a tough time with the heat, too. I like how you're viewing this as a learning experience... I know I had some good lessons learned, too.

It was hot. My stomach is just today getting back to normal. I think there must be something about mile 10 that gets difficult, because I've spoken to a couple of other people who hit a bit of a wall there, too. I don't know if it's mental, or something about the course, but there was something going on there.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you - some other race, I suppose!
2007-06-18 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Congratulations, Bryan! No matter how disappointed you are, you were still WAAAAY faster than I'd ever be, so I think you did great!
2007-06-18 11:29 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Ouch!  Black flag conditions.  I remember them all too well.  No need to feel down on yourself.  Less than 1% of the population can EVER say they finished a half marathon.

That must have been a blast running with Emily...well, maybe except for the fact that she said she 'smoked' you at the end.   Just joshin' with you Em... 

Great race Bryan...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gary Bjorkland Half Marathon Rss Feed