Human Race
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 6s
Overall Rank = 1209/1591
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 224/268
Pre-race routine:

My first Olympic distance TRI and I didn't think I was going to be able to take part in this race. My calf has been giving my gip for a month and I hadn't been able to get it in a state where I could run the distance - just last Wednesday it cramped up after eight minutes. In the expo the day before I got talking to a chap who sold me something called "trigger point" and before hand demonstrated it on me. I didn't hold out much hope but he advised I just take the run easy and minimise the stresses - we settled on a ten minute run pace. If fit I would have been aiming for 8.5 minute pace

Day of the race: Woke up at 5am in a hotel near the event. Went downstairs for cornflakes, fruit and OJ. Back upstairs and started getting my bag together
Event warmup:

None to speak of - I see the swim as the warm up so I wandered around with Julie and my parents apologising that I might have to pull out during the run.
Swim
  • 25m
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

I stayed on the right hand side near the bank to minimise the effect of the current. I knew it was strong because on the start line I was drifting back! There was some clashing and slower swimmers from the previous wave to deal with but I'm always going to be happy in the swim so I tried to concentrate on a smooth stroke, relaxed body, navigation and avoiding the swans! Had a bloke drafting me for about 800 metres which was fine with me - once or twiced I slowed to get round someone and he was always there tapping my feet.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, I think all I can do here is get faster.
Transition 1
  • 05m 23s
Comments:

The transition was massive - getting out of the water you had to cross a road and then I had about 400 - at least to get to my bike. I was trying to keep my running to a minimum because of my calf. The pavement was soaking and dangerous but I reckon a good ten people passed me on the way to the bike

I could get to my bike faster but things came off and on quick enough - I was happy not to rush and panic in T1 - chatted to the bloke next to me and wished him luck
Bike
  • 1h 16m 1s
  • 25.38 miles
  • 20.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't think I was going to be able to complete the run or if I did it would be at 75% so I tried to really give it some on the bike. I had my average speed on my watch and at halfway I noticed it was 19.9mph - that gave me a great target to reach - 20mph.

There was lots of drafting in the race but I managed to avoid all of it - I don't really see the point. You know you're doing it and it must detract from the achievement? It doesn't bother me.

I need to work on hills - gear selection and when to change them.
Transition 2
  • 07m 25s
Comments:

Check that out for a T2 time! Again the transition area is massive and just getting to my rack took the majority of the time - then it was all about getting through the run - I'd seen lots of Julie, my parents and my brother and I really wanted to finish. I took my time to roll my calf on the roller, stretch it out and then cautiously make my way out - waving to my marvellous support.

Not much I could do on this occassion - it was all about preparing for my run
Run
  • 1h 01m 19s
  • 6.31 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I had my garmin and could see my pace - I kept to 9.55 for most of it and prayed! I was going slow enough to really enjoy the setting of Royal Windsor, say a few words to the family as I passed. The milestones began to fall, 10 mins, half way, 45 mins and it became more and more likely I was going to finish - people were streaming past me and it was a little embarrassing to be going so slow but I'd rather that than not finish - I gave a little kick to home.

Obvviously I'd like a fit calf! But in some ways it was great to really be able to enjoy the run, laugh and joke with people, relax and get to the end
Post race
Warm down:

Had a massage and a stretch, tonight I've got my new pressure point kit out and mullerred my legs on them

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My calf! Other than that it was all that I could have hoped for from my first oly distance with massive transitions!

Event comments:

Loved it as an event - absolutely massive do but really friendly with it.

Last updated: 2006-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:00 | 1500 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 99/268
Overall: 0/1591
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: The River Thames. The back drop for this triathlon is Windsor castle and it stands majestically in the back ground for a lot of this race. The river had a current going against the swimmers for 2/3 of the out and back course. The river winds its way up so there were a couple of bends to negotiate.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 10C / 50F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:23
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:01 | 25.38 miles | 20.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 183/268
Performance: Good
Averaged 162 - haven't uploaded the zone details. No laps - one long circuit
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty undulating course, a couple of nasty slopes and one hill - fair pay backs on the other side of them though and a glorious last three miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:01:19 | 06.31 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 248/268
Performance:
Averaged 162, zone detail to come
Course: Three two miles laps around the centre of Windsor. A fantastic spectator route and I was able to pass my clan three times a lap as they moved around to see me. There was one hill 300m into each lap that really scared me in terms of my calf.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-17 6:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Royal Windsor Triathlon

2007-06-17 6:43 PM
in reply to: #847713

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Royal Windsor Triathlon
amazing time la! imagine how stupidly fast you'll be with a good leg?
2007-06-18 9:23 AM
in reply to: #847713

User image

Expert
London, UK
Subject: RE: Royal Windsor Triathlon
Awesome job. You managed to 'have' the Physio and finish your first Oly in the same week. Now get that dodgy leg of yours sorted out.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Royal Windsor Triathlon Rss Feed