5430 Sports Corp.
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 43s
Overall Rank = 308/1171
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 52/125
Pre-race routine:

Got up really early. Ate a bowl of cereal. Drove to the race site with my mom and set up transition. It was my mom's first triathlon so we wanted to get there early. Plus we'd heard if you didn't there was a long line to get in. And indeed there was.
Event warmup:

100m swim. Holy crap the alitude kicked my butt. Coming from Chicago I was a bit worried about that and I was banking on having come in close enough to the race start it wouldn't be an issue. I felt it immediately. My chest just felt tight, like I couldn't open up my lungs to get the air I needed. I told myself it was all in my head, hoped it was just the shock of swimming in cold water, and headed over to see my mom's wave start. Our whole family showed up (Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, nephews, my sister, you get the point) to support my mom and I wanted to see her wave off even if I didn't know which one she was at that point. Then I just hung out until my wave started. Pee'd in my wetsuit while I was doing so.

Having grown up in Colorado and spent many a day at Boulder Reservoir laying out in the sun and swimming out the docks (which are about 50m) and saying "Dang, we swam far" after having done so, I spent some time traveling down memory lane and musing about how different it was to be here for a tri as a 32 year old instead of for the sun and boys as a sixteen year old.
Swim
  • 17m 57s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was one of the roughest swim starts I've done. Everyone I spoke to commented on how violent the swim start was. The horn went off and it was the worst churning of arms and legs I've ever experienced. And because I had been a bit paranoid because of the warm-up, I started near the back of the pack and I had to swim through quite a lot of it. In the first two hundred I got water kicked into my mouth three different times as I was breathing in and had to do breast stroke for a bit to catch my breath. After that things calmed down and it was a decent swim, but for the inability to breathe. My chest felt tight the entire time and I was very winded. I tried bilateral breathing and was gasping for air each time. I finally gave in and only breathed to my right in order to breathe more often.
What would you do differently?:

Start near the front of the wave, despite the worry about not being able to breath or swim well, and let them swim over me rather than having to swim through that obstacle course of arms, legs, and splashing water. Try to draft more. I caught someone's feet for about 20 meters as I was emerging from the washing machine and it was nice. But then I wanted to pass them so I moved on.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

This T1 went pretty well for me considering my T1s are usually ridiculously slow. My sleeveless wetsuit doesn't come off as easy as my full suit so I'll need to work on that when I wear it again.

Not get my suit stuck on heel.
Bike
  • 54m 52s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 18.81 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I would be on my old hybrid, but last minute my mom's TNT coach loaned me her road bike and it was AWESOME. It was very light and it had a dual cassette (or is it a compact?). I've never ridden a dual cassette before but I'm switching to one immediately when I get home, especially for Racine. Everything about gear shifts, getting up to speed and staying there while I tried to hammer was easier. The first half the course involved a lot of false flats an my quads felt tired so I stayed in a higher rpm and lower gear, but really pushed all the same. The second half of the bike, other than one or two small hills, was screamin' fast. I spent lots of time in the big chain ring hammering as much as possible. Played cat and mouse with a couple of people, but because the bike was sooooo fast and I felt pretty good riding it, I tried to be more competitive and aggressive. When we came around the last turn to head towards the reservoir, I started hammering like crazy. It hurt but I wanted to pass the woman in front of me. I also knew I would need to keep hammering to keep her from passing me at the end. There was one last hill I had to downshift for and then I went straight back into my big chain ring and hammered again until the dismount line. I was huffin' and puffin' like you wouldn't believe and I knew my legs would be trashed for the run, but I didn't care. The bike was great. I need to see about buying that bike from my mom's coach!!!

Be more competitive and hammer even harder more often. I'm trying very hard to get stronger on the bike. I know it's only a short distance but it's faster than I normally ride. I also normally can't even hope to see someone who's riding hard and be able to pass them. I need to focus on that competitiveness more.

Given the altitude and the heat I probably could've afforded to drink a little more. I wasn't bad, but I knew I was a little dehydrated.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Lucky for me my spot on the rack was about 30 feet from the bike entrance so I hardly had to run with my bike at all. I was also close to the run exit so it was a smooth and fast transition.

Not much.
Run
  • 25m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy hell this run was HOT (have I mentioned that yet). Record breaking heat in Colorado today. The huffing and puffing on the bike proceeded to get much worse as my chest tightened right back up again for the run. Having come home to visit and gone running enough, I knew the altitude was getting to me. And my legs were indeed trashed from the bike. I tried to start off hard and knew right away I needed to back off and run more conservatively if I wanted to survive in one piece. Whenever I would see someone from my age group I tried to speed up and my breathing would instantly get worse and I would need to back off again. Instead I worked on keeping a steady pace (which I knew would help me pass some people anyway) and really listening to my body.

A perky little 17 year old passed me within the last mile and looked very strong so I said, "Nice run." She then proceeded to get about 15 meters on me and that's it. I was really struggling at that point and wasn't sure I had it in me to battle her out so far from the finish so I tried to stay with her, but run steady and listen to my body. Near the end we came up on someone I knew we could both pass so I tried to kick it in and when she felt/saw me coming she did too. We elbowed just a teeny bit and then she crossed maybe a foot before I did. And other than one woman who sprinted across the finish line like she was running the hundred meter dash right in front of both of us (how do you do that if you've been running hard the entire time?) no other woman passed me.

Do better at remembering to look for women in my age group, not just in the run but in the entire race. Really work on my end of run kick for triathlons. This is the second race this season where if I had been paying more attention and had a better kick strategy, I could have passed or prevented myself from being passed by someone else.
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed the finish line I thought I might pass out from the heat and effort level. After a tough swim, I rode and ran hard. The altitude was getting to me and I was BEAT. I walked out of the finishing shoot and my cousin was waiting with open arms to give me a hug. I saw the rest of my family and then ran back to find my mom. She had a couple of mishaps on the course and I had expected her to be in front of me. Instead I saw her as I was on the return part of the run course and I knew she hadn't ever trained or raced in this heat so I headed back to find her and cheer for her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Altitude a little. An aggressive swim. Overall I thought it was a pretty good race.

Event comments:

Very well organized and supported race. I would definitely recommend it. It was tough for me, but I had a great time and would do it again.

Last updated: 2007-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:57 | 750 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/125
Overall: 710/1171
Performance: Below average
Not sure what my exact swim time was but the swim included about a minute and a half to two minute run to transition through the sand on the beach and then into the parking lot.
Suit: Blue Seventy Sleeveless Reaction
Course: Three sides of a rectangle in the Boulder Reservoir.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:52 | 17.2 miles | 18.81 mile/hr
Overall: 680/1171
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Left turn out of Boulder Reservoir and then a huge loop out with all right turns from there on out. The first half involved a lot of false flats and a few small hills (at least in comparison to what I've been training with). The second half involved a couple of hills, but was mostly downhill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:55 | 03.1 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 489/1171
Performance: Average
Hot, hot, hot. Don't know what my HR was but it had to be high. The temp spiked during the bike and it HOT on the run. I don't know exactly what the temp was, but the overall for the day got to 97 degrees.
Course: A little bit on pavement at the start and finish and otherwise a shadeless and HOT out and back course on dirt and loose gravel. Oh and a nice steep uphill within the first half mile for good measure. :)
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-17 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2007-06-17 9:11 PM
in reply to: #847901

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

Congrats on a great race!

How cool to be there for your Mom when she became a triathlete movtivated by the amazing things you have done.

Sounds like a brutal swim...

Dual cassette do you mean two rings in the front on the crank instead of a triple? Triples are much harder to shift properly.

Cool you got a nice race bike to ride...and like always nice run split.

Fun day with family & friends! 

2007-06-17 10:08 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

GREAT RACE!!!  And if you were 30 M from the bike in, then you must have been RIGHT BY ME!!  And I missed you!  I was on that very end rack  - my bike was the 2nd one in and faced towards the bike out. 

Anyway, sorry I missed you, but it sounds like you had a great race and found a little guts out there   Keep up the training and keep having fun

2007-06-17 10:20 PM

User image

Master
Denver
If those are the times you put up with 12hrs of acclimatization you must fly back at sea level. Congrats on a great race!
2007-06-17 10:20 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Nice race!! Isn't that a fun bike ride?   Great job keeping up your speed even though your not used to the altitude!
2007-06-18 4:41 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome race, Kelly!! Way to get that competitive edge going, I like it I'm glad you pushed yourself out there, it sounds like you enjoyed it a lot, and you kicked a** in that heat and altitude! You are also an awesome daughter, being able to race and cheer your mom in her first ever triathlon!!

2007-06-18 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Great work out there yesterday!  Yeah, it was hotter than h*ll on the run, and it must have sucked coming up to race at altitude.  Still, you did great.
2007-06-18 1:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
These are really impressive times, and when you consider the altitude also... wow! I don't know how you do it. And really great job on the bike - that is smokin' fast!

That's so cool that you got to do a race with your mom. Sounds like a really fun time. Congrats!
2007-06-18 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Great race, especially at altitude and in the heat!
2007-06-18 2:11 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
It was great to meet you yesterday!  How cool of you to come to CO for your mom's first race and be there for her!  Great job in the race, especially at altitude.
2007-06-18 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice race - sounds like you had a good time out there and a fun time in general with all the family around. And really, what's not fun about being able to ride a new bike?!

2007-06-18 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

Was that you calling around for Julia in our transition area?? I remember seeing you, but I had no idea who you were or what Julia you were looking for. I should have said something - I'm sorry!

I think you had a GREAT race, especially in the heat and altitude that you're not used to. And contgrats to your mom on her first race!! Hope you see you again out there next year.

2007-06-18 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Great RACE!!  You really pushed yourself, nice job!  Tough enough to battle the heat, but altitude too and you were smokin'. 

Congrats!

2007-06-18 10:07 PM

User image

Denver
Thanks for the kind word.  From my perspective, you really had a wonderful race, and it's quite an accomplishment to be in the top 1/3rd overall.  That swim start was entirely out of control, and I think that we endured record heat, so we sure have a lot to be proud of.  Great job!
2007-06-19 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Excellent race! Careful, it is very easy to be 'seduced' by all those sexy bikes you see.
2007-06-20 7:17 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Hey you! Congratulations on a GREAT race.

Find out what kind of bike that was...

Do you have a triple in the front? I don't remember seeing one? Although I don't remember alot of things, so that's no indication of anything. Wink

I can't imagine how I'd be breathing at altitude. I have trouble breathing here. Heh.

Hooray for you and your Mom! And your Dad showed his support too... on FATHER'S day. What a guy.

Congrats again!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed