General Discussion Race Reports! » Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hopkins, Michigan
United States
Johans Tri Fest
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 42s
Overall Rank = 100/231
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/38
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am. Ate plain bagel with peanut butter, V8 juice (will not repeat the V8 - stick with Gatorade).
Pack up van. Wake up the kids and pour them into their seats. Was on the road at 5:15 and arrived to race site at 7:00.
Pumped up tires, put on sunscreen and set up transition area.
Event warmup:

Put on wetsuit and swung my arms around.
Swim
  • 30m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wet suits were optional, but those wearing were ineligible for an AG award. I wasn't worried about a top 3 spot and never have done an OWS swim of this distance. So, I elected to wear one.

Got kicked HARD in the left eye about 75m into the race, resulting in goggles coming partly off. I think the dude was breaststroking. Got the water cleared and back on game quickly. Took a pretty good beating throughout the first 400 meters. I caught myself straying off a few times but not too far off course. Definitely could work on sighting. I felt super getting out of the water; warmed up and ready to kick some A$$ on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Warm-up for about 200m before.
Practice sighting more.
Push a little bit more at least on the 2nd half which seemed to go by so fast compared to the first half of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

Felt great coming out of the water. HR good, no sea legs, ready to go. Had trouble with wet suit hanging up on right ankle. Working at it caused my calf to cramp - "Oh crap!" But got the suit and cramp worked out - no damage done other than the 30 seconds or so getting out of my rubber foot trap.

I was 38th out of 38 in my AG - yuck!

I got also got tangled in my tri-top. One of the pins from my bib even came off in the process. I would have worn it under my wetsuit, but was concerned about race bib pins rubbing my belly for 1500 meters. Another 60 seconds lost here. Lesson learned.

I had left my shoes in the pedals, cause I didn't have room in my tri-bag. Also was flirting with the idea of mounting that way and straping in on the fly, for the first time. However, I have never practiced mounting this way and cranked them off to strap on before pulling the bike out. Good decision, but should have made it while setting up, NOT in the middle of T1. Duh!?! Another 15 seconds lost.

Get a race belt, so I don't have to mess with putting a tight wet shirt on during T1. Either practice with shoes already clipped in or have them ready to put on in T1. I clearly didn't think through setting up my transition.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 10s
  • 25.3 miles
  • 20.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal was to average 20mph, which I knew would be pushing it for me, about equal to my 20mi TT effort. This was a "B" race for me and I wanted to see how much I could push on the bike. I'm a "rookie" on the bike and wanted to test myself somewhat. If I blew up, I knew I could still "finish" the 10k. Its a comfortable run distance for me that I'm really confident running and managing.

Nothing. I wanted to see what I could handle and pushed it about as much as possible. I felt like I caught quite a few people on the bike. I love catching, passing, finishing in front of people with $3,000+ bikes with my $800 model. I just kept thinking - it's the engine suckas.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Better than T1 but just OK.

Get Yankz or something similar.
Run
  • 49m 43s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile felt tough. Early in the run, this shorter woman about my age comes flying past me. I was thinking, "man my HR is under 160 and this is just plain hard." Another, younger woman, this time passes me; and another. "Did I push too hard on the bike!? This is going to be a long 10k..." Then I come to the "Mile 1" sign, click the lap function and it spits out a 07:38. "Oh, that's why it felt hard, I'm scorching it here." So I settle down and get into a more comfortable rhythm. I kept it real steady for the next 4 miles keeping a good pace (08:10's to 08:15's) and HR just below 160. Then, I kicked it in a bit and was able to pass a few guys in my AG. However, One guy, with a "37" on his calf, I passed about 0.4mi before the end, came storming past me with about 150 meters to go... damn!

As I came up to the finish I saw the clock clicking 02:39:40, 41, 42... I look to the left and see my wife and kids cheering. I yell to my wife pointing at the clock "it looks like I made it." She knew my stretch goal was 02:40:00. She smiled and rolled her eyes as I came through. I could hear her thoughts - "you're such a dork, but I'm still proud of you."

Maybe start pushing above 160bpm with about 2 miles to go.
Post race
Warm down:

Just relaxed. Ate a yogurt, some water, pretzel rods. Cleaned up transition area and packed up the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Transitions were a big factor. I think I could push it more on the swim and run - maybe a minute faster for each. For the bike, time in the saddle would be the only thing. I hammered the bike pretty hard.

The week leading up to the race was stressful at work and I spent most of my waking hours at the office. Sleep was pretty poor - not one night over 6.5 hours. I somewhat trained through without taper, including a pretty good workout the day before. A proper race week taper, nutrition and rest management could have made the experience better. Still, I'm very happy with the result.

Event comments:

A VERY nice race and well organized. Great course with a plethora of fantastic volunteers. Nice crowd support on run (hoses and sprinklers, kids with high-5's, etc). Bike course marshal (on motorcycle) was quite visible; prob. saw him 4 times over the 25 miles. I witnessed zero draft violations. However, no photographer and limited race swag (rather plain cotton T-shirt). Still, overall, an "A" class race.

It was my 1st olympic distance race and was very manageable (about 230 triathletes). I would recommend to anyone in the area to do it in 2008; especially if its your first.

Last updated: 2007-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:30 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/38
Overall: 81/231
Performance: Average
I was in 1st wave with all men 49 and under 2nd wave was men 50+ and all women.
Suit: QR Ultrajohn
Course: ~725m out, left ~25m, 750m back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:40
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:10 | 25.3 miles | 20.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/38
Overall: 86/231
Performance: Good
Avg HR of 150
Wind: Little
Course: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=19919
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:43 | 06.2 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/38
Overall: 125/231
Performance: Good
mile 1: 07:38, 156bpm -- mile 2: 08:13, 157 -- mile 3: 08:14, 159 -- mile 4+5: 16:19(08:05 pace), 159 -- mile 6.2 9:23(07:49 pace), 163 bpm --
Course: Nice loop around camp resort.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-17 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon

2007-06-18 10:15 AM
in reply to: #847903

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: RE: Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon
Way to go! You are an animal! Nice job on finishing the swim strong after a kick to the face. Nice job on hitting your time goal. It's great to see the family at the finish line too! Great job!
2007-06-19 9:27 PM
in reply to: #847903

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon
great job out there Brian, tough day with the humidity and the warm water
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Johans Tri Fest Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed