General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Creek Triathlon - Nissan Xterra Point Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Buffalo Creek Triathlon - Nissan Xterra Point Series - TriathlonShort Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Buffalo Creek, Colorado
United States
Buffalo Creek Triathlons
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 37s
Overall Rank = 35/71
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and walked to transition area and watched the sun come up. Mist was rising off the lake and the lake was like glass. Went to transition at 6 a.m. and set up my gear, got my timing chip and body marking. Went back to campsite and made some oatmeal and had some gatorade. Spent the next hour walking back and forth and just soaking it all in. Watching all the athletes show up and the event come alive. Took some pictures and tried to get ready.
Event warmup:

Just walked back and forth from my campsite to transition. Wanted to run a little bit, but didn't want to miss anything since it was my first race. Next time I'll warm up a bit more.
Swim
  • 11m 16s
  • 550 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Spent the first 200 yards sighting and going around people. I've never done that before and did pretty well. After rounding the first buoy, I got into some open water and swam the middle leg pretty well. Rounding the third buoy, I looked up and it seemed like the finish was a million miles away. I had a hard time breathing and realized I had used up way too much energy going around people in the beginning. Finished slow and did breast stroke a couple times just to catch my breath.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more open water and sighting. Sighting every stroke took way too much out of me and caused my heart rate to sky rocket.I need more distance practice swimming in open water. Start at the front of the pack and let other people swim around me. Pick my lane and go.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Had to walk into T1 to catch my breath and let my heart rate come down. I was beat. Wetsuit came off good. Going to bring a 5 gallon bucket to sit on like some of the veterans had. Got my helmet and shoes on and got out of there.

get a 5 gal bucket to sit on so I don't fall over when I'm getting my wetsuit off breathing hard
Bike
  • 1h 07m 6s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 10.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Road downhill fast. Didn't wreck. Did the single track well. Climbed pretty good. Just couldn't get my heart rate to settle down.

Next time I need the camel back so I can hydrate better with both hands on the handle bars.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Got my bike shoes off quickly and running shoes on good. Grabbed my race belt and visor and took off.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 40s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Had to walk on some of the uphills. I just didn't have the breath. My legs were fine, but my heart rate was too high. I got passed by a couple people I passed on the bike.

Drink more water on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Took a good 15 min to catch my breath and get to the point where I could talk. I drank 2 bottles of water. Felt great to be a triathlete finally and have my Mom and Jim and Nancy there to share it with me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Took too much energy to sight and navigate the masses in the swim.

Event comments:

I liked this course a lot. It is at a lake that my son and I have hiked and fished at, so it brought back memories of our time there. It was a tough course, but I like the challenge. Great people and a fun race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-12-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:16 | 550 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/18
Overall: 0/71
Performance: Below average
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: They shortened the swim from a half mile to a half kilometer. So it was about 550 yards. Lake was very calm.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:06 | 11.2 miles | 10.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/18
Wind: None
Course: 3 mile downhill dirt road with large potholes and ruts. 1 mile flat dirt gravelroad. 2 mile single track with mostly uphill climb. 1 mile downhill dirt and gravel road with ruts and potholes. 3 mile dirt road climb very steep. 1 mile dirt gravel road with speed bumps.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:40 | 02.5 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/18
Course: uphill trail run for .75 miles right out of transition. Then up and down trail run. Then steep downhill with steps by a water fall. Then through the trees, then last mile on dirt and gravel road to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-17 10:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: Buffalo Creek Triathlon - Nissan Xterra Point Series

2007-06-17 10:31 PM
in reply to: #847961

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: RE: Buffalo Creek Triathlon - Nissan Xterra Point Series

Nice job.  Man, that run sounds tough!  Congratulations on finishing your first triathlon.  It sounds like you had a great experience and learned a lot.  All those little things you pick up from the vets will keep making you better.

Way to go!!

2007-06-18 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Good job, Michael! 

Were you smiling at the finish line?

2007-06-18 8:44 AM

User image

Master
MidWest
Good Job!!!! Sounds like you were well prepared for everything but the altitude!!! A  wonderful thing to hear is YOU ARE NOW A TRIATHLETE!!!
2007-06-18 11:44 AM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY
Wow, reading your detail on the swim makes me all the more nervous for my upcoming tri in 4 weeks time.   Good job on completing your first triathlon!
2007-06-18 7:45 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Congrats Mr Triathlete!!!

Way to Go!!! I knew you could do it. Think of the hard work you did to get to this point - IT WAS WORTH IT!!!

Enjoy the Glory!!!

2007-06-18 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Congrats triathlete!  That looks like soooooo much fun!  I so wish I could've been there!  Oh well, there's always next year.   Anyway, way to go!
2007-06-27 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Congrats,
The swim is the hardest part of the race, because it can set the tone for the whole race.  Going out too fast or too slow, can make or break a race.

After my race where I seeded myself up front, I figure I had better start back more.  Sure there are people I have to fight through, but then I don't try to keep up with the fish either.

Sounds like a challenging course, and you handled it well.

You are a Triathlete!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Creek Triathlon - Nissan Xterra Point Series Rss Feed