United States
BuDu Racing
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 29s
Overall Rank = 34/146
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Had set up a 5:30am wake-up call, but woke up at 5am. Showered. Ate a bagel with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast along with some water and a cup of coffee. Packed car with gear and bike, used the bathroom and then headed to course. Got bike out of the car, inflated tires, and tightened everything up(so I thought). Set up transition area at about 6:45am and then walked around taking in the sights of my first Triathlon. Chatted with a couple of people in the transition area which helped with nerves that were still trying to act up a bit.
Event warmup:

Took bike out for about a 10 minute spin and then got into wet suit. Went down to water area for pre-race brief. First wave was sent off and we entered the water. Swam out a few meters and came back in.
Swim
  • 06m 54s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Only second open water swim and my first with other people...Water was like cold coffee (except with red tint) and there was no visibility. I grabbed a spot at the back and to the outside of everyone else.

Our wave started and I tried to hang back a little to get some space, this didn't work very well and I was right in the middle of things quickly. It was NOT FUN...Hands and feet everywhere and I was not ready to deal with it at all. I would get my face into the water and try to crawl, but would hit or be hit by something and pop right back up. When I was able to swim it was only for a few meters at a time and then I would be up someone's back. I am not a fast swimmer, but I was in a group of a lot of "not fast swimmers". I was having issues getting my composure back, but instead of feeling like I needed to get the heck out of the water I was more worried about just moving forward. I made it out to the first bouy with my head mostly out of the water and then found some space. I tried to start back with the crawl, but the panic was too much. I did some back stroke and then tried to crawl again which still wasn't happening. My breathing was very shallow and fast and I was getting dizzy or motion sickness from switching position in the water. Fortunately the need to keep moving in the proper direction was winning out and I made it to the second bouy to head back in.

I was back in a bunch of people at the second bouy and just could not keep my head in the water. Did more back stroke and front stroke with my head out of the water until I could touch bottom and then waded in until I could run to transition. I was thrilled to be out of the water and was surprised at how quickly I was able to recover from the horrible feelings I had moments ago. I was actually happy and felt ready to go from that point on. I was focused on transition and I think it showed with this being my first.
What would you do differently?:

More open water swimming!!! All the talk about needing to do it and how different it is with a bunch of bodies is very true. I am thinking about starting closer to the front of the pack and fighting for some space since swimming into people was affecting me more than being hit by other people.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

I had my wetsuit peeled down as I was running to transition and fortunately this time with a proper coating of bodyglide it came off really easy. I put on my bike shoes without socks even though I had planned on wearing them because I didn't want to have to run in wet socks later. I know that you shouldn't change anything on race day, but this was one of two things that I did change on the day that worked for the better. Sip of water, Helmet on, sunglasses on, run with bike to mount line. I ended up coming to a full stop after the mount line to get on my bike as my body was not yet functioning as well as I would like it to. Slow start to bike and had to attept to clip in with second foot a couple of times.

Running start with bike and get a bit of speed going before trying to fully clip in
Bike
  • 43m 19s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.39 mile/hr
Comments:

It took a little while to get comfortable on the bike, but once I did I really enjoyed this ride. I was not passed by anyone (partially due to the horrible swim) and I passed a lot of people during both loops. Right as I was starting the second loop I really felt like I could finish this race, but was a bit worried that I may be pushing too hard to run well later. I had been having problems with chest cramps right at the base of my ribs during my previous bricks and thought it may be due to drinking too much on the bike. I decided to test this theory and limited my water intake to just a few sips to wet my mouth once per loop(second thing that I was happy that I changed on race day because I felt very good on the run with no cramping). My pace was consistant and I was feeling very good about the day. Midway into the second circuit I hit a pothole and heard a rattle at the rear of my bike. Everything seemed fine and I kept pushing. Starting up one of the hills my back tire rubbed the brake pads and Ilost almost all of my speed. At the time I figured that I must have accidently hit the brakes since I was up on the bullhorns and it quickly released from the pads. I finished the circuit, dismounted and started my run back around the transition area. As I went up over a curb and picked up my bike, my rear wheel slipped off of the frame and was held only by the brake pads and chain. I lost all thought of moving quickly at that point and my brain seemed locked on how bad things could have gotten. I racked my bike and my wheel slipped the pads, now being held on only by the chain.

Double check rear spindle!!! Push a bit harder, I was too scared of not being able to finish and saved too much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Besides my mind looping through all of ways I could have been mangled by not taking care of my bike, I seemed to have forgotten how to put on socks. I danced around putting on my socks and then put my shoes on. Double knotted my laces and managed to remember to take off my helmet. I took my sunglasses off and put them in my helmet and then remembered I wanted to wear them. Put my glasses back on and then put on a visor. Took another quick drink of water and finally got out on the road.

Either start running without socks, or at least focus more on the task at hand. I had rolled my socks to make them easier to put on, but then unrolled them prior to putting them on.
Run
  • 22m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were a bit heavy, but wanted to go. I felt like I was taking too long of strides and my pace was too quick. Shortened stride and backed off a gear. Breathing and cramping had been a problem on my practice bricks, but I felt really good on this outing. I was tired, but felt good. I passed a number of people and was passed by a few as well. I stopped for a quick sip at the water station about midpoint on the run and then started cutting down the next person in front of me. I caught up to him and instead of pushing past I fell in with him for awhile before moving ahead for a bit. We came back out to the road that went into the park to the finish and I was passed by one person, then the person that I had previously hauled in passed me, I did not chase. We came around the corner and into park sooner than I had been expecting and made a short loop on a gravel trail. Hidden around the corner of this trail was the finish and I realized that I could have picked up my pace much sooner for the end. I had saved more than I had expected and it wouldn't have hurt me to have pushed harder. I believe that both people who passed me near the finish were in my age group, one I probably would not have caught but the other was not far ahead....I finished fourth (AG). I felt like my run had been decent overall, but slow compared to a dedicated 5k pace. Instead I PRd the distance by about 10 seconds.

Know the course and not let up.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around feeling on top of the world, grabbed some food and checked out the race results. I had placed THIRD in my age group!!!! I was surprised and thrilled as I just wanted to perfom well overall. My swim had sucked and I thought my run was slow. I waited around for the post race awards and cheered on others who were finishing. I received my medal and gathered up my gear since I had a long drive ahead of me. On the way out of the park, the last finisher was getting close to the park enterance and I told her she was doing great and was almost there, the other cars behind me did the same and she kept on trucking. Showered at the hotel and then drove 4 hours down to Oregon for my little brother's graduation party. Checked official results after returning home Sunday and saw that I was Fourth in my age group and not Third as posted. Still need to check with the race director to see how deep they were awarding overall placements, but I think it was only three. Maybe next time, which is only a week away!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

OWS!!! Not having previous experience in this sort of race and not trusting my body.

Event comments:

Great event held by BuDuRacing. Well organized and everyone was very helpful/friendly. The volunteers were wonderful and there was plenty of food/water at the finish. I would go back next year and recommend this race to beginners as it has a very short swim and pretty easy course

Last updated: 2007-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:54 | 437 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 80/146
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: 50 meters or so out to first bouy and then parallel to shore to second bouy and straight back in
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:43:19 | 14 miles | 19.39 mile/hr
Overall: 30/146
Wind: Little
Course: Much flatter than what I have been riding in training. Open roadway with rough shoulder and potholes in spots. Two loop with a few small hills late in the loop and rollers in others.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:35 | 03.11 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 31/146
Course: Single loop on road and then back into park for finish. Nothing of note hill-wise
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes