Edinburgh Racing Co-op
10C / 50F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 24m 3s
Overall Rank = 63/171
Age Group = M Veteran
Age Group Rank = 13/42
Pre-race routine:

Stayed overnight at my mum's with Zoe, Alasdair and Bob. Impressed by Bob's pre race nutrition routine. A chicken Dansak and a couple of beers, I will need to recheck Jenny's nutrition presentation.
Alasdair and Bob shared a room and apparently Alasdair can out snore Bob.
Event warmup:

Very cold and wet day. I was fretting a lot on what to wear. Contemplated either going for a second cycle top or a rain jacket at T1. I spoke to the wise old head of Rod and was advised that I was only out in the cold for an hour so just to go with the tri suit. Fretting over.
Got down poolside and had a word with the wise old head of Doug, his recomendation was to go for multiple layers. Fretting back on.
Swim
  • 14m 15s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Spoke to a guy in my wave before the off and he told me that he knew some of the guys in the waves ahead of us and that no way were they that fast. He was right. Got a good tow from this guy for the first 150m. This is where it goes pear shaped. We caught a guy from the previous wave at the turn, my tow got past but I was stuck behind Mr I will put in a predicted time that is 5 minutes faster than my PB for an entire length - Grrrr. Caught another guy about half way and then caught a train of people for the last hundred. Tugged the ankle of the guy infront of me, but he didn't get out the way so overtook 3 people in the last 50m. The pool was pretty cloudy and I found I had to sight to see if the end was coming up.
What would you do differently?:

Put in a faster predicted time. I had put in 12:15.
Apart from the blockers my swim was great.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The swim time includes the run to and from T1.
I did a spectacular slip on exiting the building, prompting the marshal to warn the people behind me to "watch its slippy".
This is the first time I have gone for leaving the shoes on the bike. It went ok other than the tongue of my left shoe came outside the strap. This didn't cause any problem though.

T1 was good
Bike
  • 43m 19s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Miserable conditions. Very wet, very windy.
I went for extreme caution on the steep descent (with cross wind), very gratefull when I passed the hay bails for the second time and knew I was going to get round without falling. Looked like quite few people had either mechanical problems or falls.
Actually passed a couple of guys which is a novelty for me (although I think one of them had originally overtaken me).

Pretty pleased with the cycle. The weather meant that the main aim was just to get round.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

My taking my feet out of my shoes must have been particularly bad as the marshals started shouting at me to keep going.
Slight problem getting the wheel of my bike located in the racking box slot.

Take my feet out out of sight of the marshals.
Run
  • 26m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

My feet were the usual complete blocks of ice. I think I could just about feel them at the half way point. Again managed to pass a couple of people which is a bit of a novelty.

Probably went to easy on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

More like a freeze down. Met Zoe at the finish and we went to watch Bob coming in. We were now really cold so headed off for the showers before Alasdair came in - sorry.

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:15 | 750 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/42
Overall: 17/171
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 50m pool, continious wave format. Girls wave off first and then the mens wave. Set off in mini waves of 4 people at a time with 30sec between mini waves. Overtaking was only allowed when going from the shallow to deap end.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:19 | 12.43 miles | 17.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/42
Overall: 87/171
Wind: Strong
Course: The couse was two laps of Arthur Seat. On closed roads cycling on the RHS.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:28 | 03.11 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/42
Overall: 105/171
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 4:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: The Edinburgh Triathlon

2007-06-18 1:22 PM
in reply to: #848074

User image

St Petersburg, Florida
Subject: RE: The Edinburgh Triathlon

That is one heck of a freakin race there!  I don't understand the marshals yelling at you for taking your feet out of your shoes.  Can you not ride on top of your shoes prior to dismount? 

Awesome times under them der conditions..

SWEEET~~

2007-06-18 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarnia
Great report! Awesome race!!! Must be all that ab work. LOL
2007-06-19 2:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland

Thanks for the comments.

The finish to the bike was on a bit of an incline so when I was taking my feet out of my shoes it took me so long that my speed dropped to virtually stopped. I think the marshals just hadn't seen the pull your feet out while stationary technique before

2007-06-19 4:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Funniest race report I've read in a while.

Great racing, but me thinks you need to talk to the organisers about racing triathlons in summer! That's way too cold!!
2007-06-22 2:58 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Great race report- well done. We usually have the opposite problem where I race- too hot. Those are very good times!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Edinburgh Triathlon Rss Feed