General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Fish Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Big Fish Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ortonville, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 53s
Overall Rank = 147/249
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/18
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 1:30am and couldn't get back to sleep. I was ready to go! I laid around for about two hours then finally fell back asleep. Got up and had a pretty normal morning after that. Long steamy shower to try to break up the congestion from this cold. Normal breakfast and hit the road at about 5:50am.
Event warmup:

I had to wait around for quite a while. I was in the last wave. I did a little swimming warm up, it felt good. No nerves at all. I felt really confident. I was roasting in my wetsuit, so I just floated around and tried to keep cool.
Swim
  • 12m 3s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt supremely confident going into the swim. I was well prepared, swimming well, and ready to go. I really stunk it up though. It took me quite a while to figure out what I did wrong. I was gassed after about 150m, and could never get into a strong rhythm, or get any real momentum going in the water. Its like I forgot how to swim. I wasn't uncomfortable either.
What would you do differently?:

It took me at least 24 hours to figure out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't rolling in the water. I was just keeping my chest parallel to the water and flailing my arms around. It made for no speed, no efficiency in my stroke, restricted breathing, and it shot my HR WAY up. It was a combo of bad crawling, breaststroke and a little elementary backstroke to get through it. By the time I got out of the water, my HR was 202. That's two beats from my run max!
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

I knew I would not have good transition times. Frankly, I didn't care about that part. I wanted to make sure that I got everything that I needed, and after that swim, I just wanted to catch my breath. I talked to Don for a minute at T1.

I suppose I could practice and get a routine down, but it wasn't important to me this time. It was fine.
Bike
  • 42m 11s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a little trouble clipping in at first. Not a big deal though. I didn't hold anyone up. Got up to speed fairly quick. Hit the first big downhill and got the bike up to 51.1 mph! I passed a bunch of people immediately, but I didn't do a good job continuing to pass. I let myself get stuck behind slower riders and didn't pass aggressively. This is something I need to work on. I averaged 2.5 mph slower than the last time I rode the course. On the plus side, I cruised up the final uphill without any problems. It was comfortable and didn't leave me gassed for the final mile.

Pass more aggressively. Be confident that I'd have enough gas left in the tank after the ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Again, I wasn't really concerned with the T times. I took my time to put on socks, get a drink and stretch a little bit before the run.

I don't know, try to be quick?
Run
  • 33m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I struggled with the run. I walked a few small sections. My HR was falling, and my legs were giving out. I was tired, but ran the last mile into the finish fairly strong.

Don't let myself walk unless I have a cramp. Run harder. Train harder for the run. I only ran twice in the 2.5 weeks leading up to the race. My knee kept me for running anymore.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold towel, watermelon, water, and hang with the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a cold, I was recovering from a bum knee, and I totally screwed up the swim. The swim set the tone for me, and it was not positive.

Event comments:

The organizers did a great job. There was a bit of a delay in the start, but not a big deal. The course was well laid out and planned.

Even though I performed very poorly, I had a good time. I had a REALLY good time. While I was on the course, I didn't spend much time beating myself up over times and effort, I just enjoyed the day.

I learned a lot, and my next race will show a MASSIVE improvement.

Last updated: 2007-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:03 | 547 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/18
Overall: 0/249
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Vengence Full
Course: Simple out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:42:11 | 12.43 miles | 17.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/18
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Simple out and back. A few little rolling hills, and one moderate hill at the beginning/end of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 65
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:24 | 03.11 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/18
Performance: Bad
Course: Pretty much an out and back course. Out of the park, paved road for about .75 mile, then onto a dirt road until the turn around.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Subject: Big Fish Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-06-18 7:54 AM
in reply to: #848166

User image

Veteran
Downers Grove
Subject: RE: Big Fish Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Once again Matt, congrats! You are a triathlete, and like you said on your RR, you're going to have massive improvements on the next one. Now you know what to expect, so it's all good from here on out! Good Job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Fish Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed