United States
West Kennebunk Fire Department
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 38s
Overall Rank = 18/73
Age Group = M4045
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Had a PB sandwich on the way to Jeff's Picked up Jeff @ 6. Drove down to Kennebunk. Had a Clif bar on the way.
Event warmup:

Tried to get some time in the water to acclimate to the 60 degree water (ouch!)
Swim
  • 26m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Thankfully, I didnt have to deal with any breathing problem or panic like issues on this swim. I gave myself about 3 secs after my wave started and went out kinda slow and steady until I felt comforable and warmed up. Even my brain freeze headache went away after a couple of minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe try pushing a little harder as the swim progressed and I had gotten into a groove.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

this was a better transition day for me. i think i am starting to get a feel for how the flow through transition should go. another thing i did was sit down during most of the transition to remove my wetsuit, put on my shoes and helmet, where in the past, i would try to do all of this standing up and feeling a bit dizzy from the swim.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 26s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

What can I say? I think I am putting in about as good an effort as I can with the bike. I had about a two minute lead on Jeff coming out of the water and T1 and was able to hold it for about ten miles before he essentially flew by me like i was walking the bike. I have definately made improvements over last year and I think that with the current speeds I am getting, I would get some value with addition of some aero components (ie aero bars, aero helmet, maybe a lighter bike)

nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Again, another good transition for me at least. I took Rob's advice and packed my number belt a gel and wrist strap for the Garmin in my hat and took off with everything in my hands and put it together on the fly.

Should pick up some fast laces (ie yankz)
Run
  • 36m 9s
  • 5.2 miles
  • 06m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out strong. At the first mile my time was 6:20, which made me a little nervous, so I backed off a bit. At the second mile I did 7:20, which seemed a bit slow, so I picked it up a bit and was hitting each mile marker exactly @ 7 minutes and it felt perfect! I finally caught Jeff, or maybe I should say almost ran over him at the 3rd mile marker. He was all bent over, he said he was cramping. I gave him a few words of encouragement and offered him a gel I was carrying and went on my way. About the last mile, I got into a little bit of a shootout with another guy and we battled it out for a bit, so my last mile was a bit faster than 7minutes.

not much. pretty happy with the run.
Post race
Warm down:

had some drink and banana. walked around. waited for Jeff to collect his medal for his 1st place AG finish!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

maybe getting better with the swim. better bike and components.

Event comments:

Not sure why there is such a poor turnout for this race. The course is fun and pretty scenic. It seems to be pretty well organized. There were plenty of volunteers and great support throughout the course. Maybe the ocean swim in mid June is keeping people away, also the fact that it was Father's day seems to be a factor. I think that if the moved it to later in the summer, there would be a bette turnout.

Last updated: 2007-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:54 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 36/73
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: Kind of a quadrilateral polygon. The Start was about 1/2 mile from transition area in ocean water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:26 | 24.85 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Overall: 21/73
No heart rate data. I forgot to turn on my garmin again!
Wind: Little
Course: Relatively flat compared to other races here in New England. Alot of turning.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:09 | 05.2 miles | 06m 57s  min/mile
Overall: 14/73
Course: Loop through the neighboorhoods near and on the shore road on the beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: West Kennebunk Fire Olympic Tri

2007-06-18 8:55 AM
in reply to: #848225

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE: West Kennebunk Fire Olympic Tri
Sounds like a fun time! I did "make note" of this race..hmm..maybe next year..Sounds like you raced well & had a good time..Nice!
2007-06-18 11:52 AM
in reply to: #848345

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: RE: West Kennebunk Fire Olympic Tri

Great performance Mike. That was a great swim for you and a great run. I had the best "seat" in the house watching you hold off the young kid on the run.

I told Rob that you have bragging rights going into Shipbuiders. So you better be ready if you want to hold them!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Kennebunk Fire Olympic Tri Rss Feed