District of Columbia Aquatics Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 2s
Overall Rank = 12/35
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Rode bikes to Rolph's Wharf from Dave's house. Got there about an hour early and checked in. Finished my bottle of Accelerade for fuel.
Event warmup:

Walked around, chatted with fellow racers.
Swim
  • 57m 2s
  • 3520 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

After Eagleman, I was not really keyed up for this event. I was looking forward to it, but it just didn't get my juices flowing. That said, it left me in a very relaxed frame of mind. I had no warm up, and since this would be my longest continuous swim, I didn't see much need. It also didn't matter because I got into a groove quickly. I was very comfortable and very relaxed. Just focused on form.
Got to the first buoy (0.5mi) and didn't have any real sense of time. I felt like I was moving pretty quickly, but didn't have many other swimmers around me after the first 500 or so yds. So, I figured I was really fast (ha) or really slow (hmmm). Passed a swimmer from the previous wave before I got to the 0.5mi buoy, so I felt good about that. On the way to the second buoy, we had to go over a pound net lead, which was a little unusual, but not much of an obstacle. Coming up to the 1 mile buoy, the lead swimmers from my wave were on their way back. I was a little nervous about this because if I veer to the left, I could run into other swimmers head-on. I may have sighted a bit more often at this point. Saw 17 min at the turn and was a little disappointed. After 32 min over 1.2 mi, 34 over 1.0 was a step in the wrong direction. Oddly, I felt like I was very smooth and fast to this point. Hopefully the outward leg was into the current. Sighting was much tougher on the way back. We were now swimming into the sun, so the buoys didn't stick out as readily as before. Over the pound net lead again. At this point I was swimming all by myself. I couldn't see any other swimmers or kayaks/support vessels. Couldn't help but wonder if I was still on course, but had the next buoy in my sights. Got to the 0.5mi buoy, looked at the split: 12 min. Wow, much better! Got the current on the way back. Picked up the pace a little for the last 880 yds, and once I was sure of my bearings to the finish, I let it all hang out until the end. 57:03. 33/24. Very pleased with this swim. I'm sure I was middle of the pack, but this was probably the best swim I've ever had - relaxed, breathing was easy, strong to the end, navigation and sighting were good. Obviously, ideal conditions played a big part in that, but it's a good feeling to get results out of the effort you put in.
Of course, Dave was already on his second pina colada by the time I arrived at the finish. Hats off to him on a great swim!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out at the beach bar, watched the long distance swimmers come in. First two 5 mile swimmers made it in under 2 hours! That's just sick.
Lots of food available afterwards, but I wanted to get back to the family. Rode back to C'ville.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ability.

Last updated: 2007-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:57:02 | 3520 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/35
Performance: Good
Half mile splits: 15:36.5 HR=107 17:23.9 HR=110 12:32.2 HR=109 11:29.5 HR=112
Suit: Pro Motion sleeveless
Course: Out and back. About a 45 deg turn at the 0.5mi buoy, then turn around the 1 mi bouy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?