General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for training/racing in the heat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-18 9:45 AM

Subject: Tips for training/racing in the heat

Hi all - hoping you could share your methods for training and racing in hot weather.  It's finally started to heat up in New England, and I am finding heat is still an issue for me, even during lower effort bike rides and runs. 

Currently, I bring extra fluids and take endurolytes for longer workouts,  but curious if there is more I could be doing.  Any suggestions?  I'm racing a HIM in a few weeks, and chances are it will be a HOT day.

Thanks!
Danielle

Edited by DMW 2007-06-18 9:45 AM

2007-06-18 9:57 AM
in reply to: #848444

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY
Subject: RE: Tips for training/racing in the heat
Sounds like you are doing the right things.  Typically you will need to slow down a bit to keep the HR in the proper zones.  Fluids, Fluids, Fluids, you will need to find the right amount for you to stay hydrated without getting too bloated.  Generally it takes a few weeks for the body to acclimate to the heat, just stick with it and it will get easier.
2007-06-18 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure about the bike, but I heard when you run, to wear a dry fit cap (not only to block the sun, etc), and when you get to the aid station, to stick ice in the cap, and then put the cap back on. This will help cool you.

Only thing I've done on the bike is to make sure I have one bottle just for water, to pour over my head and down my back occasionally. Then, the wind generated just from the ride with a wet shirt should cool you down.
2007-06-18 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
I am surprised by the amount of people I see racing/training out in the heat without sunglasses and a hat.
2007-06-18 10:00 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
DMW - 2007-06-18 9:45 AM

Hi all - hoping you could share your methods for training and racing in hot weather. It's finally started to heat up in New England, and I am finding heat is still an issue for me, even during lower effort bike rides and runs.

Currently, I bring extra fluids and take endurolytes for longer workouts, but curious if there is more I could be doing. Any suggestions? I'm racing a HIM in a few weeks, and chances are it will be a HOT day.

Thanks!
Danielle

If training in hot and/or humid weather (whether or not there is a clear sky or overcast), I highly suggest applying sunscreen on prior to your run (15 minutes or so to not allow it to sweat off immediately), wear sunglasses (prescription sunglasses is what I need to wear), a visor/hat/bandanna.

Don't overdo the workouts and stay well-hydrated by bringing water bottle, camelbak/hydrapack, hydration belt, or plan out having a water bottle/jug planted along the route where you can find it or have a friend meet you at a spot to hand it off. Drink plenty, not when you feel thirsty.

Make sure you have informed someone your route and approximate time that you'll be back. If need be, bring your cell phone for an emergency.

Above all, know your limitations!

Good luck.
2007-06-18 10:06 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I'd suggest doing sweat tests at various temp/humidity levels to make sure you are taking in adequate hydration.

Keep good records of your hydration/nutrtion/endurolytes that you take it so you know what works or doesn't work at various temps. I make specific notes in my blog so I can go back for reference.

I found this year I sweat a lot more and need to take in more electrolytes that in previous years. 

It takes I think 3-4 weeks to fully adapt to higher temps so you have some time. Hard thing here in NE is part of the week it is in the 50's and the weekend 86...hard to get used to that.

As hard as it is training when it is hot helps you adapt for your race so I'd suggest not trying to avoid training when it is hot by going early or late.

What HIM are you doing? If you are doing Patrioit I'll be there volunteering. 

2007-06-18 10:10 AM

I'm going to try bringing water to pour over my head on the bike.  I find that there's one stretch of road that gets me every time, it has limited shade and it's a steady climb.  I do wear a hat when running, but I've got so much hair that pouring water is no help.  Ice cubes during races are a good idea, hopefully they're available.  Shaving my head is out of the question

Has anyone tried Hammer's Liquid Endurance or any clothes specifically made for cooling?  I have a very LOW sweat rate and I think it could be why I suffer so much in the heat.

2007-06-18 10:13 AM
in reply to: #848509

KathyG - 2007-06-18 11:06 AM

What HIM are you doing? If you are doing Patrioit I'll be there volunteering. 

Kathy I am doing Patriot, so if you are volunteering at a run station, save me some ice cubes! 

2007-06-18 10:15 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
In a race, if they offer ice to you on the run, carry the ice in your hands.

If you put the ice in your hat or dump water on yourself you run the risk of the water running into your shoes. Wet shoes are not fun on a perfectly dry day.

Edited by leapdog 2007-06-18 10:38 AM
2007-06-18 10:26 AM

User image

Youngstown, Ohio
The only sure way for me to beat the heat is to get the training out of the way in the early morning.  It means I have to get up around 5:00 a.m. so I can still get to work on time.  I don't know how this will work out schedule wise for you, but it works for me.
2007-06-18 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Another thought I had are you taking any medications? OTC or prescriptions? That could be interfering with your sweating?

I started taking a drug over the winter my oby-gyn prescribed..turned out it interfered with sweating...I kid you not and she knew I was a triathlete.

Man I had a big problem doing St. Anthony's tri when it was 85 and I wasn't sweating normally. I ended up collapsing with bad cramps after the race and had to go to medical. I stopped the meds and feel much better and get nice and sweaty working out.

Dump water on your head at every run stop and practice doing it so you don't get shoes/socks wet and get blisters. I finally have it mastered, I lean over and dump 2 cups of water on back of my head and it doesn't get in my shoes. 

Sweat rates change...I sweat about 2x as much as I did 2 years ago per hour...so do the test.

Yes wicking clothing helps tremendously! 

I think I will be in transition....but I'll be there..cheering you on!

2007-06-18 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN

If you think you are going to be racing in heat, then practice in the heat.  In races you have the benefit of aid stations.  But if you are used to nice hot weather, you will have an advantage, especially if you have a hydration/electrolyte plan down.

For my HIM last year I did not take any electrolytes but drank water (upset stomach) and ended up with severe stomach cramps that really killed my run.  I plan on moderate electrolyte use this year.

The wicking clothing works great.  I'm a no hat guy but that might be a mistake I'm making.

I don't like to put cold water/ice on me.  I don't like the cold and feel brief chills.  Physics wise, you probably aren't really doing much cooling anyway, more psychological.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for training/racing in the heat Rss Feed