General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Topeka, Kansas
United States
Topeka Tinman
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 59s
Overall Rank = 41/171
Age Group = 19-24
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 shaved (just the face, not that hard core yet) and got dressed. Ate a cliff bar for breakfast and drank some water. Packed the bikes in the car and headed to the park. One of the first cars to show up which got us a great amazing spot in the transition area. Set up transition and tried to find a few other BTer's Used the restroom before the lines got too long and the headed off to warm up.
Event warmup:

I really wanted to try out the bike before the race, I was having issues with a couple gears jumping and sticking on me and I hoped I had it fixed the night before but I wasn't going to leave it to chance. Actually headed out the run course, not many folks around and no cars coming in. My gears were still jumping and catching even worse then before so I brought it in and had the guy from Bike Source take a look at it. Turns out on of my links was broken and falling off, that could have been disasterous. He popped the link off, took the bike for another quick spin, everything was smooth so I headed in so I could get wet real fast. I jumped in the water for about a 2 minute swim, mostly just to feel the water and get my arms moving. Hopped out of the water and heard them calling for heat 1 to line up..it was race time.
Swim
  • 17m 53s
  • 1006 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

The OW swim earlier in the week did wonders for my confidence in the water. I still have a lot of room to imporve in the swim I think, at least compared to other events. I know fixing my form will help with that a lot.
What would you do differently?:

I might have to stop racing nice in the water and race for me..
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

T1 went almost excatly as planned. The socks went on nice on teh soaking feet, felt a little slow slapping the shoes on but I was able to clip the helmet one handed and jumped on to the bike running which I'm sure helped. Had the GU taped to the bike which worked wonderfully.

My shoes still aren't quite as fas as I'd like them to be, I'll have to figure something.
Bike
  • 54m 54s
  • 19.71 miles
  • 21.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Legs felt tired at the beginning as I was hitting it hard the whole way but after about 5 miles they warmed up well and I was rolling. 4 people passed me on the bike and I'm pretty sure at least two of them placed in the top 5. I caught a couple folks at the end as the tight corners or the narrower path may have slowed them down a little.

I was overall very happy with how the bike ride went, just gotta keep strengthening those legs and speeding up.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

So I haven;t master jumping off this bike on the move and it felt really slow to stop get off and cross into T2. They announced my name as I finished the bike and I raised my arms to get some chears and the bike swung into the fences, I recovered quickly just picking the bike up and running it in that way. Everything came off great and the shoes wnet on well. Took off running, realized I planned on a sip of gatorade at transition and probably lost about 5-10 seconds doubling back in T@ to get it. I think it was worth it in the end. Found my run watch in my shoe, made me happy so I was able to put that on and time the run as well.

Focus less on the crowd and more on my bike and next time I really need to not forget that sip.
Run
  • 57m 54s
  • 7.5 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were incredibly tight at the beginning of the run and I felt like i was barely moving. A few folks past me early and I reached teh first mile at about 7:30 so I wasn't going as slow as I thought. Just not as much wind in my hair as on the bike I guess. My body was just cruising at this point and excpet for a couple of cold chills felt great. Got something to drink at every aid station, usually a cup of water which I poured most of over my head. Had one cup of gatorade around half way. Saw Lisa and Lori in the last 1.5 miles. Gave Lisa a high five along with a bunch of other short course folks, cheering them on helps my motivation. Crossed the finish line in under an hour and I knew I came close to my 2:10 goal I had set.

I need to brick the bike and run some more to get my legs used to that change. That could help a lot in starting off faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a cold Mountain Dew and started walking back along the course so I could chear on Lisa. Heard my name, turned around and it was Lisa's mom so I chatted with her and helped her find Lisa coming in. Ran in with Lisa and took some pictures with her dad.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I may have been able to push faster as I had a lot of energy left. I think as I do more of these I will learn where I can push harder and shve off some time.

Event comments:

The course and race itself were wonderful! The Race director and timing director I have issues with. My offical time was never recorded and I only recived a time based on my watch, and had to give it to them when I found out they never recored me finishing the race. This was due to a failure in the timing mat. The race director later handed out awards based on unofficial results which I find unprofessional and became the cause of many errors while people were anounced as winners.

Last updated: 2007-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:53 | 1006 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 119/171
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course: The water was most definitely over 78 degrees but they called that the official temp and everyone grabbed thier wetsuits. I don't have one, not sure I would have wanted one because the water was amazing. The course did a rectangle shape in the lake. My first wave start in a race so haveing the arms and legs kicking so close was new. Didn't bother me too much and I tried to be polite and avoid people but after I got trammpled a couple times and stopped caring, hope I didn't nail anyone too bad. Breast stroked a little to keep on course but I felt good the whole swim. Saw lisa and heard Tom chearing for me as I hit the beach and the thransistion area, its fun to have fans :).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:17
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:54 | 19.71 miles | 21.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 27/171
Wind: Little
Course: The course was awesome, I love to climb a few hills and I caught plenty of folks as I was riding, made up for my slower swimming to some degree.Great marking along the whole course along with local police there to direct riders along with the volunteers.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:54 | 07.5 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 47/171
Course: The course was generally flat for most of the way, a little rolling hill action. Couple bigger hills in the last two miles as we joined the short course folks. The course is reported as 7 miles and is obviously not 7 miles as there is a 7 mile marker well before teh finish line. At the swim start they repoted the distance as 7.5 miles.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course

2007-06-18 10:21 AM
in reply to: #848463

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course
Sounds like you had a really good race (except for that whole timing issue thing).

You were really fast too! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed