5430 Sports Corp.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 14s
Overall Rank = 49/1171
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 205/107
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4, had 3 eggs and some Gatorade. Mostly had the car packed from the night before so I double checked everything and drove up to Boulder. Had an FRS drink on the way up.
Event warmup:

Racked next to Ben (triforresttri) and Pete then went out and did about a 20' ride to run through everything on my bike. My speed sensor wasn't working so I fixed that and everything else seemed to be fine. Then I went for about a 15' easy run with a few pick-ups. Made the essential trip to the bathroom and I swear it smelled like someone had been smoking a cigarette in there. Pretty gross. Walked down to the beach with Adam and then hung out and talked with others since I was the second to last wave. Finally, got in the water and swam for about 10'.
Swim
  • 16m 17s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

My plan for the swim was to start up front, go all out for the first 100+ meters and then taper off and let others go by me. It worked for me in Galena so I thought I had a chance here. I said in my log it might work and it might blow up in my face. Turns out it blew up in my face. Front and center didn't work and I paid the price for it. I didn't want to start to the left because I didn't want to get slammed into the dock, and on the right I didn't want to get tangled in the rope so center it was. Probably a little overconfident since I had a great (for me) swim in my last race. Turns out there's a difference between doing a wave start with 30-40 people versus 107; or a difference in athletes in Galena versus Boulder.

Anyway, it was the roughest swim start I've ever had and I have a slightly black eye to show for it. I didn't have any clear water until after the first turn and for me, the time was completely spent being tangled up with other people. On the way back in, once I had my own water I was in a good rhythm and felt fine but I knew the damage was done in terms of time and it was just a matter of how much. I got out of the water at 15'14", 14" slower than last year.

At the end of the day, this was just a flawed race strategy for the swim; one that I won't make again in a race like this.
What would you do differently?:

Start in front but on one of the sides so I could get more open water faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

I have no idea what happened here. I didn't feel this slow going through T1, but I did have some problems getting my wetsuit off my feet. I absolutely love this wetsuit when I'm swimming but I've had problems getting it off my feet in every race this year. In a race where every second counts, being 34" slower than last year is real time.

Need to find a way to get my wetsuit off my feet faster. This was terrible.
Bike
  • 45m 53s
  • 17 miles
  • 22.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Saw Drew (drewb8) go out of transition just before me and worked on catching passing him. Took me a little longer than expected and then I passed him only to have him pass me back before I passed him again. Played the same game with a couple other guys.

Having started in the second to last wave, the bike course was pretty crowded, and it was hard funneling everyone through some of the corners.

Overall I have mixed feelings about my bike split. I went with everything I had on it but I thought I'd have a better time than I did. On the way into T2 I put my feet on top of my shoes and crossed over the top tube way too early. I had to coast in really slowly, which cost me a few more seconds that I didn't have to waste.

Aside from making a smarter decision coming into T2, I went with what I had. I need to get more strength on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

T2 ended up being about a 4" improvement from last year. It was uneventful, which was good.

Nothing except keep working on getting the hell out of here faster.
Run
  • 20m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs weren't into this run from the beginning but I knew I didn't have time to get comfortable and wait for them to come around. I went out and once I got to the top of the small hill I ran with what I had. This part of the run was a lot tougher mentally than physically. I walked through the first aid station to drink some water and get the cotton mouth feeling out of there. From there I kept waiting to see Ben and Pete. I never saw Pete, but the longer it was taking to see Ben, the better and then I saw him when I had about 200 yards to go to the turn around. I hit the turn around at 10'24" and it was better than expected, which was a nice boost. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to catch Ben or not but since he wore a bright green jersey and the course is open, I could see him throughout the rest of the run. Once I got to about a mile left I knew I could catch up to him. When I did with about a quarter mile to go, I moved by like he was just another AGer and waited to see how he'd respond. He picked it up and didn't spend much time behind me before he kicked a little and went in front. He had about 5 feet on me and at that point I figured if he wanted to lead in I'd let him. It wasn't my plan to race from behind, but I knew I didn't have the legs or HR to push the pace for the last part with the effort that was required. Or at least not without blowing up. He picked it up a little once we turned into the chute, and since he was in front, took the inside while I swung wide to go around a person. I knew I was reeling him in but it was a matter of whether or not I had enough room left before the timing mat. Then, with about 1 steps left I passed him. Our time difference ended up being less than a second.

My run time was 5" off of my PR so I was pretty happy with it.

Physically my legs weren't into it at first but that's fine because at some point they'll come around. I need to figure out how to deal with that mentally and keep being able to push. Every positive thought here was overshadowed by about 10 negative thoughts that wanted me to quit. I obviously didn't, but I need to be able to move that out and keep the focus on running (or swimming/biking).
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the shade, drank water and hung out with others.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad race strategy on the swim and a slow T1 were the main contributors.

Event comments:

The race is always well run with the parachuters that hold the flag through the awards. And it's always great to race in Boulder with a lot of friends. I was more nervous for this race than I had been for my previous two because even though it's a sprint, there's real competition and it has a big event feel to it.

Last updated: 2007-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:17 | 880 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/107
Overall: 504/1171
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra VectorPro2
Course: Almost triangular without a sharp turn at the top; starting out into the sun.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:53 | 17 miles | 22.23 mile/hr
Overall: 133/1171
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Some rolling hills in the beginning and then it opens up and becomes pretty fast.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:24 | 03.1 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 124/1171
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on a dirt road, completely exposed with no shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2007-06-18 10:26 AM
in reply to: #848529

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon
I thought the exact same thing about the swim start and I've been through some rough swims in some very crowded races. I also had a larger wave and it took until the first buoy to clear out.

You weren't happy with a couple of things, but from my perspective--Overall you did awesome!!
2007-06-18 10:30 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great job Ryan!  That looks like a solid performance either way.  Like i always say, racing makes you a better racer.  You did awesome.  Nice kick at the finish!
2007-06-18 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Great race and nice meeting you this weekend.

2007-06-18 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Well, we both know that you are faster than this...  Granted sometimes there's nothing you can do  -like the swim start - just try something different next time.  Mentally I think you pushed through, but I know what you mean with the negative thoughts overtaking you sometimes.  The difference is you overcame that!  So I guess what I'm saying is - be disappointed with the swim and maybe even with the bike, but you mentally pulled through what you wanted to on the run.  As long as you can find that one positive spot it was a good day

Have a good week and keep your eye on Vineman.  You're in the same boat as I am - better to have a mediocre race now than at your 'A' race, but still, sometimes any mediocre race plays with your mind.  I've had races with good swims, good bikes and good runs - just not all 3 in the same day - YET  

2007-06-18 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
You  have a black eye??? Dang - I thought I had a rough-and-tumble swim! I bet having a rabbit on the run course like Ben was great motivation. I can't wait to see the finish line photo!! Great job in this race, despite the swim. The nice thing about racing is building up knowledge that we can use next time!

2007-06-18 11:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hey Ryan - Overall you had a good race and a good time. You are right though that is a slow swim for you......Nice run though to PB it in what sounded liek a pretty challenging race fo ryou mentally. Keep up the good work...
2007-06-18 11:34 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Nice, a black eye?  Battle scars! 

You had a fast race!  Awesome run time!  You need to do an open 5K and set a PR   Great to see you yesterday and to meet Catalina.  Cookies at the end?  how awesome is that?

Hey you need to fix your AG place, 205/107 doesn't make sense?

2007-06-18 12:14 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I'm with Cathy...battle scars are COOL!  Go pick up some chicks with them.

And your times still look fast to me!

2007-06-18 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

I feel like I'm partly to blame for the "start right in front" strategy.  I had the thought right before we started that the chute was too narrow and the start too cramped for you to be in front, but at that point it was way too late to tell you to change strategy.  Sucks, but I guess it's another notch in the tri-belt.  Even I was getting mauled in that race. 

Otherwise, I guess it's mostly what we talked about, which is that your fitness is high but your top end speed is missing.  Obviously, the reason is that you haven't done anything resembling top end speed work for a year, so why would it be there?  Your tempo paces are all totally solid though, so I still think you should go into Vineman with the attitude that everything is exactly on track and you just need to execute.  You'll have a great race there, both because you're physically ready and mentally you like long distance racing.

Edited by Gearwhore 2007-06-18 12:39 PM
2007-06-18 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Ryan,

Good race overall. It seems like we both screwed up on the swim strategy. Never again!

Good thing to have Ben out there to test you and give you some gumption to go faster. And you did so good for you. Great 5K time and you looked good on the bike. Fantastic job. Way to go!

2007-06-18 10:00 PM

User image

Denver
Thanks for not knocking me over as you blazed by me in the race!  It's fun to see folks like you fly by!  The new bike thing has to do with discussions up at the BCSM, and I've decided to ride my road bike until I'm fast enough to make some sense on a ripping tri bike.  Sort of like "earning" a bowl of ice cream... $10,000 ice cream....
2007-06-19 8:27 AM

User image

, North Carolina
This was a great race and you did awesome.  I'm new to the sport so I feel better knowing that an experienced guy like you also thought the swim start was rough!
2007-06-19 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Denver
5" off of a PR on dead legs legs is a great result, especially since you have been fiocusingon longer distances this year. I was as surprised as you that I was able to hang with you on the bike but hopefully that made you push a little harder. I think you are really going to start getting into your groove on these longer distance races coming up.
2007-06-19 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Dude- you are so fast- don't be so hard on yourself!! Congrats on a great, competitive race and keep up the great work all season!!
2007-06-20 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
I thought your bike was so so and your swim was pretty good. Run was great. Dime thinks you should start riding more and harder. I could live with your swim time. Still, you did pretty darn well overall. Look at it as building block leading up to your longer races. Sprints suck anyway (InMyOP).

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed