United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 2s
Overall Rank = 92/457
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/68
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and drove to Lake Lanier. Ate half a bagel and drank a small amount of water. (I hydrated a lot Saturday so Sunday I wouldn't have to because I always have to pee on the run.) It worked too...Took a gu 20 minutes before start.
Event warmup:

Maybe 100m warm up. Just got in and swam for a few minutes..felt good.
Swim
  • 15m 5s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

PANIC. Completely out of nowhere. Waiting on the beach in the corrale and I was calm and ready to race. As soon as the race director said we could get in the water I FREAKED out. Swallowed a little water which normally I would have coughed off but I couldn't breathe. I tried to get under control before the air gun went off but no such luck. The race started...without me. I tried to swim but I couldn't take a breathe out so I tread water for what seemed to be minutes. I told myself to calm down and I was NOT going to quit. After all the blue caps were swimming I finally started my race. A little trouble at first but eventually I got into it and was back, ready to race. I knew I had some time to make up so I concentrated on form and just getting to the other end.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure because I'm not sure what caused me to panic. I wasn't nervous before the race and I didn't have any fears going into the swim. Obviously, I need to swim faster but I'm working on that.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Running up that huge hill certainly didn't help T1...when I saw my time for this I was like no way but then I remembered the timing mat was before the steep hill. Anyway, I feel good about this. I'm sure I could get faster but not what I need to work on right now(hmmm...swimming)

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 36s
  • 19.1 miles
  • 17.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Percieved exertion had me faster than what I was actually going. This tells me I do not know how to race on the bike. I felt like I was pushing the entire race and not slowing way down on hills like I normally do. I guess I need more training at Cartersville..Aside from my bike not shifting gears properly and the cluster f*** on the way back in on holiday road the ride went very well. My bike..well during a race there's nothing that can be done. As for the idiots in their cars blocking me from passing the bikers in front of me because they wouldn't get over..well that just made me mad. And by mad I may have been yelling a little. I wanted to go faster, this is a race and all but because of traffic I couldn't go around and had to significantly slow down. Boo.

Ride faster. Push myself harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

This went smoothly. Found my lost inhaler in my running shoe which made me happy.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this wasn't the best run for me. It didn't feel good (not that it's supposed to but in the wow this is way hard today) My breathing was out of control the entire run and after the turn around I had to use my inhaler while running to try and calm myself down. There's being out of breath because you are working hard and then there's being out of breath because your lungs aren't working at full capacity..I know the difference by now and I was experiencing both :) I will say that me having to use my inhaler in no way inhibited me or my race. I ran what I could and would have had the same run regardless. Anyway, I know I can do better on the run.

Push past the fatigue. Stay focused on moving forward. Run faster because I know I can.
Post race
Warm down:

A very long walk back to my car...twice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall this was not the race I trained for and planned on having. I beat my goal or well one of them, but my time was not where it could be. Obviously starting the race with a full on panic attack is not the best but I was over that before I got out of the water. My bike could have cooperated with me and changed gears without the grinding and also when I changed them. It would wait a minute or so before changing sometimes, but whatever I love my bike. My legs just didn't do what I expected out of them on the run but whatever I love them too :) Seriously though just had a bad run today. What's that saying...Any given Sunday?

Event comments:

The only issue I have with the race is the traffic on Holiday making it very difficult to pass. Otherwise there were more than enough water stations with excellent volunteers.

Last updated: 2007-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:05 | 586 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/68
Overall: 0/457
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Point to point along the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:36 | 19.1 miles | 17.47 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills with a couple long inclines and some steep ups where people actually got off their bikes and walked.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:42 | 03.11 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling inclines..there was one tough hill but for the most part it wasn't too bad. Lots of shade and lots of cold water.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 10:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon

2007-06-18 11:06 AM
in reply to: #848574

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon
Great race Amy. Congratulations. I know you didn't have the race you wanted, but you did well. I'm up to my eleventh tri and I'm still learning new stuff at each one and have yet to have the race I really want. For me, training and racing is fun, and as long as it keeps being that I will be out there trying to learn and get faster and stronger. I hope to see you out there looking for that perfect race too! Good job IronGirl!
2007-06-18 1:12 PM

User image

Austell, GA
Well 7:37 minute miles on the run and you had a bad run.  I'm afriad to ask what is a good run for you because I thought that was awesome.  I relly enjoyed watching you race on Sunday.  Congrats Iron Girl, see you Tuesday. 
2007-06-18 1:15 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great job overcoming your initial problems in the water to put together a great race.  Congrats!
2007-06-18 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Aimster.. you rocked that race.. maybe not to your expectations, which is a really good thing, but overall, you did what you went there to do. You are learning an immense amount of things about yourself, in a fairly short amount of time, relatively speaking. You know that 7 months ago, yesterday did not exist.. well not only did it exist, it was as I believed it could be.. even 7 months ago, and that's just great period. Great race.. there are many more ahead and you will do nothing but improve..

Michelli Jones first tri was in 1991.. in 2007 she is on top of the world. In 2007, Amy did her first tri.. ok, maybe being on top of the world is not in the cards, but you get what I am saying..

2007-06-18 6:23 PM

User image

amy, i think you kicked yesterday! i am super proud of you.  you are so disciplined and improving every second.  it was fun too!  i am glad to be doing all of this with you.

2007-06-19 9:41 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Great job Amy!  I'm sorry it wasn't everything you wanted it to be... but your times look GREAT and good for you for getting over that initial panic.
2007-06-19 12:08 PM

User image

New user

Awesome race, Amy! You are getting so fast on the run, and I am proud of you for overcoming the panic on the swim. Just keep doing what you are doing, and all those things should fall into place.
2007-06-19 12:48 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Nice race and getting through all the personal and traffic challenges.
2007-06-19 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Wow - your bike and run times are awesome!!  I was also frustrated with the traffic coming back in, but I figured it was worth finishing to slow down and not try to throw myself out in front of the cars.  Maybe next year they can do something about that.  Great job!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon Rss Feed