5430 Sports Corp.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 19s
Overall Rank = 177/1171
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/125
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am, made breakfast, threw my stuff in my car, loaded the bike on top of the car, and headed up to Boulder at 4:30. Ate my bagel and drank a bottle of Cytomax in the car. Got to Boulder Reservoir at 5:15 and there was already a line waiting for transition to open at 5:30. You used to be able to get to this race 15 minutes early and be one of the first in transition - not anymore!! Set up my transition spot (I personally think my wave got the shaft. The farthest point from swim in and the bike out areas, but whatever - everyone had to deal with the same distance).
Event warmup:

Ran with Julia, then swam for about 10 minutes. Then it was time to line up at the start.
Swim
  • 14m 37s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the worst openwater swim experience I've ever had, and I'm still not sure what went wrong. I started in the second row, like I always do, but I had women knocking me around from both sides. I think I got totally boxed in on all sides and I couldn't get free. I had to throw some serious elbows and kick and shove some chick on my left who was all over me. I've never had to get that aggressive before. After all that angst, I was pretty wound up, short of breath,my form went to crap, and then came the waves from all the boats. I looked to up sight several times to be greeted with an over-the-head wave and got a good face-full of water. I never felt like I could get into a rythym until after the first turn. Then I was finally able to get away from those women and actually swim. The rest of the swim was fine (other than having to swim over the stragglers from the last several waves). Swam to the shore until my hand touched the bottom, then ran up the beach to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe I'm at the point where I should just get in the front row and duke it out with the fast girls. I told my coach that I wanted to work on longer sprints to simulate fast swim starts, so we'll see how it goes.

Maybe I should take up martial arts to defend myself better out there!

Considering what happened out there, my time wasn't THAT bad. I think I must have really pulled it together in the last half and salvaged what could have been a disasterous swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

My transition spot was pretty much as far away from the swim in and the bike out areas as it could possibly be, so I was prepared to have to run for a while to get there. Took my wetsuit off, helmet and glasses on, and I was off. Shoes were on the bike and I was planning on doing a running mount. I get out of transition and it was a mob scene at the mount line. Holy crap, I've never seen so many people trying to get on bikes at the same time. Basically, it was all the really slow older women from the waves in front of me. I think I was yelling "move move move!!!" but I don't remember. But I know I was yelling. Couldn't do the running mount, so I just got on my bike and weaved through the people STANDING there on the mount line. I used rubber bands to keep my shoes in the right position on my pedals for my mount. Note to self - don't use rubber bands in a race that you've never practiced with. They were WAY too stretchy and when I started pedaling, the rubber bands didn't break! CRAP!! I had to reach down and rip the rubber bands off! Then I was finally able to get my feet in my shoes. That probably cost me about 10 seconds. I wasn't too upset about it. I just thought it was funny!!

Make sure to use rubber bands that will actually BREAK when I start pedaling! Other than that and the throng of idiots at the mount line, the transition went smoothly.
Bike
  • 48m 31s
  • 17.15 miles
  • 21.21 mile/hr
Comments:

The theme of this bike segment mimics the scene at the mount line. I spent the entire ride dodging a lot of older, SLOOOOOW women. I don't think I've ever seen so many bottlenecks out on that course before. I've never seen so many people riding too far to the left or coasting down hills either. Come on people - it's a race! If I had a buck for every time I said "on your left" I'd be rich. So that was frustrating.

I pretty much hammered this course. My legs felt great, heart rate was under control, and I made sure that I stayed focused and pushed myself the whole time, and never slacked at all. I beat my goal time for this segment despite the rubber band issues and the bottlenecks and slow people, so I'm happy. I would love to know how fast I could have gone on an uncrowded course!

Not much.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Took my feet out of my shoes at just the right time as I was riding into the dismount line. Running dismount went perfectly, and the run to my transition spot wasn't too long. I got to the rack and some idiot woman had so nicely draped her freaking wetsuit right over where I needed to slide my rear wheel. I grabbed that wetsuit and flung it FAR away. I have no idea where it landed. Helmet off, started putting on the running shoes and I had trouble getting them on-they were getting stuck on my heels. There was a guy who was filming the race and he's filming a closeup of me putting on my shoes! I guess that made me nervous (he was pretty close to me) or something. IT took me about 10 seconds too long to get those shoes on. Grabbed my visor and number and started the run.

Not sure. I normally don't have problems sliding my shoes on.
Run
  • 26m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Not the run I wanted to have. Not even close. I could make a ton of excuses, but I think primarily my head got in the way. I know I'm capable of better, but I need to learn to shut off my head that's telling me I'm gonna die and trust my body and let it do its thing.

Mental toughness on the run is my biggest limiter. My mind needs to believe in what my body CAN DO. I asked my coach for some books I should read, so I'll start working on that.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my post race water from Shannon, walked around, ate some food, talked to my BT friends. It was great to see pretty much every triathlete I know out there today - everyone did a great job!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own little inner voice who tries to tell me I need to slow down or I'll die or something :)

Event comments:

This is my third time doing this race, and it gets better every year. So well organized, great volunteers, great venue, etc. It's no wonder it sells out so quickly every year.

Last updated: 2007-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:37 | 880 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/125
Overall: 276/1171
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Inverted U with right turns
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:48:31 | 17.15 miles | 21.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/125
Overall: 281/1171
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:45 | 03.1 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/125
Overall: 0/1171
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2007-06-18 10:50 AM
in reply to: #848584

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon
Bummer that it was so croweded.  That makes it even tougher.  You had a great race!  You kept it moving and that is all you can ask for.  We never seem to have the perfect race.  I had that same TZ spot last year.
2007-06-18 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
I think you pretty much just wrote about the same race report as I did, so I definitely feel your pain throughout. If this whole triathlon thing doesn't work out for you though, maybe you can take up wetsuit flinging. That was my favorite part. Once you figure out how to turn off that inner voice, let me in on the secret!
2007-06-18 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
I'll second the Ryan's request:  If you figure out a way to squash that little voice in your head, I'd like to the secret too.  17th out of 125 in your AG isn't bad at all!!!  Great race!
2007-06-18 12:21 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

So what books will you be reading?

hey now, I'm one of those slow older women   of course, you beat me out of the water, so I wasn't blocking your way on the bike - lol!  But yeah, way to kick it, you had a great bike leg despite all the people!  Great to see you as always!

2007-06-18 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

I totally hear you on the bike. It was like people didn't hear the RD say a million times - "Stay to the right." I just started yelling "Move to your right," as I was passing instead of "on your left," because left would have been in the freakin' street. I had zip wheels passing me on the left and slow riders on the right. It was like a mosh pit. Finally I just hammered it to get out of there but it taught me that I'm racing a race not going on a ride.

You did great girlfriend and nice to see you pulled it together on the swim. And you looked focused on the run. Don't talk about inner voices or talk to yourself people might think you're crazy!

2007-06-18 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Nice work Stacie!  I had the same problem and now that you say it - I remember yelling things like MOVE, ON YOUR LEFT, and WHAT the???  Coming out of transition as people cluttered the way.  Anyway, great race.  I think the run sucking was a common theme - I would bet the heat ahd something to do with it too.  Anyway, I too will ask that you let me in on the secret if you ever figure it out...  Problem is, I thought I had it figured out at ALCATRAZ, but my body didn't agree for this race
2007-06-18 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
It was me asking for Julia in transition. We had planned to try to meet and then we both left the essentials for getting into contact at the race at home. I'm sort of bummed now, that you hadn't know which Julia I was looking for b/c I would have loved to meet you too.

That swim was violent wasn't it?!? It was certainly one of the more aggressive swims I've done. I'm going to suggest to my tri club we have an open water combat tactics clinic to prepare us for swims like that. And with the heat the run was brutal too.

There were a couple of mishaps for you, but overall a great race!!! And maybe if I ever come back to do it again we can meet.
2007-06-18 5:34 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Way to power through all the obstacles - in the water, out of transition, on the road and in your head!!  At least you realize you need to shut those things up instead of dwell on them.  Keep growing and WHEN you figure out how to do it -   SHARE!!!!!!
2007-06-18 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Funny, I had the same thing happen with my T1.  I had a small rubber band attached to the loop of my shoe and the bike.  I tested it twice on Saturday, and the minute I made a full revolution with my crank, the rubber band popped.  Well, guess what happens on Sunday.  Yep, it didn't.  Luckily I was able to reach down quickly and get it off.  So much pre race practice.  Great job getting through all the traffic and great race overall.
2007-06-19 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Denver
It sounds like you go all meek on the run. During the swim & bike you have no problem shoving people or yelling or flinging wetsuits - you need to bring that confidence & attitude to the run too. You need to realize that you are a fast runner now and act that way. You aren't slow anymore so stop thinking like you are. Anyway, great RR and even with the tribulations it looks like you had a really strong race. Congrats!

2007-06-19 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

Maybe I'm at the point where I should just get in the front row and duke it out with the fast girls.

YES, you should!!  I always start along the front line - and usually along the side so I have space.  Although I can't imagine doing a race with over a 1000 people!  Merde!!  The biggest races around here have roughly 30 people in your AG!

I wish I could go 21mph on the bike.   Heck, I struggle with 20mph on the bike!!

You need to stop complaining about the voice and start choking it to death.   How is that for inspiration?

All that said, nice work.  Crap, you did finish in the top 15% of your AG.

2007-06-20 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA

I wish I could have been there to see you beat chicks up... Kind of erotic Surprised

Still not a bad race for Stacie, your flew on the bike!

2007-06-20 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
I hope I never have a race report like this.
2007-06-20 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Pretty sweet race overall... you are going to be a great triathlete one day (soon?)... your bad swim day would be off the charts great for me... once you get your legs to run as good as they ride you will be a regular on the podium.
2007-06-20 11:06 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo

I can't believe you can have that much trouble on the swim start and still swim so freakin fast!  Wow!  Even in a pool w/absolutely no one else around....only in my wildest dreams could I ever go so fast!

As for the bike I think I was out there in my car at about the same time you were biking....I missed the turn for the resivoir and ended up driving along with the bikes for quite a while....couldn't believe how many idiots were out there!!!  Ppl riding in huge clumps totally oblivious to the fact that they were still on a road where there were cars (and ppl trying to pass them).  I did see a few really fast girls trying to weave through everybody and looking like they were having a heck of a time.  Hey one actually looked like you based on your avatar picture!!  haha  If you saw a purple car w/lots of bumper stickers stuck in the midst of the biking mobs that was me.

Anyway....bummer you didn't get the times you wanted but you definitely have me amazed!  Sorry we didn't get to meet up...we'll have to figure out another time.    

2007-06-21 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Nice race kiddo! Great swim time even if your experience wasn't so great. Congrats on the bike PR as well!!! Looks like you're breathing down the necks of the top 10%, they should be really scared now

-Frank
2007-06-21 3:03 PM

User image

Way to go Stacie. You did fabulous! I'm so glad you had a good race even though it sounds like there were lots of obstacles to overcome. Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed