ITU
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 56s
Overall Rank = 319/1399
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 47/138
Pre-race routine:

Got to the transition area right as it opened at 4:30 AM. Race began shortly after 6 AM. Was able to get everything set up in the transition area and got to watch others and pick up little hints here and there.
Event warmup:

Did about a 200 meter practice swim and some very light stretching.
Swim
  • 31m 36s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goal was 35:00 minutes of less, especially considering wet suits weren't allowed so I was very happy with my time. That being said, now that I'm over the mental hurdle of swimming 1500 meters in open water, I think I could probably be at sub 30 minutes by swimming a little bit harder throughout the swim.

What would you do differently?:

Swim harder and not be concerned about being able to finish the swim even without a wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

Since this was my first tri and I didn't know what to expect for anything really, I took the transition nice and easy. I sat down to put on my shoes and made sure that I was relatively pretty dry.

I would like to try putting my shoes in the pedals as well as doing a jumping start to get going but both things will take practice. I also think I will tape half a banana on my bike in the future to eat once I get going.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 49s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Best ride of this distance to date. Riding on streets without having to worry about traffic, stop signs, and red lights really makes a difference. Even though this was my worst discipline out of the three as far as my rank goes, it was the most fun for me. I think with some work, I can get down to 1:05.

Ride harder and not be intimidated by other riders.
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Again took transition fairly easy. Had to visit bathroom too right before heading out.

Take my feet out of shoes while on bike in preparation for the transition.
Run
  • 46m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Got confused about how many laps I needed to complete and so I started running up the final hill 1 lap early. Fortunately I realized this before too long. Still, I cost my self around 20 seconds.

Push myself a little bit harder once I got my legs under me. I was worried that I was going to hit a wall but I need to trust my training more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got drinks and food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental hurdles of this being my first tri.

Event comments:

Very enjoyable time. I look forward to doing future tris.

Last updated: 2007-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:36 | 1640 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 56/138
Overall: 0/1399
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:49 | 24.85 miles | 21.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 67/138
Wind: Little
Course: Rode from downtown Des Moines out to Jordan Creek shopping center and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:46:22 | 06.21 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/138
Course: 2 loops around downtown Des Moines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 10:41 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Hy-Vee Triathlon

2007-06-18 12:22 PM
in reply to: #848608

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: RE: Hy-Vee Triathlon

Good job!  What a way to enter the Tri World...ITU races are no joke, and this one was huge for many reasons -- tons of pros, big cash purse, mega humidity and heat! 

I just was at triathlon.org this morning marveling at the pro women's race video.  Tough conditions out there, and Laura Bennett seemed to have surprised even herself with her win. 

I'm sure you've suprised yourself, too, with just how much fun this sport can be...

Come back for more, and BT.com is a great resource for ya, so welcome. 

2007-06-18 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!!! Congrats
2007-06-18 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
You had some very nice times for this being your first triathlon. It obviously was a very competitive field. It is nice to see the home state get such a high profile event. How was the support from the community?
2007-06-19 9:51 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks for all the encouragement. The community was great. The best part was about 5 miles to go on the bike ride, we had to go up the big hill on Grand Ave. heading back down hill. There was a group of 20+ guys who were just going crazy cheering us on. One guy was dressed as a devil and was encouraging people to pop a wheelie. When bikers did, the group erupted even more and banged their cow bells. It was exactly what you needed at that point.
2007-06-20 3:38 PM

User image

Great job again, Doug. I loved the devil guy - I actually did the wheelie for him. I can't remember if I told you that or not. I also loved the 3 women after that hill chanting, "No more hills!" The support from spectators was fantastic.

I'm very impressed by your ability to do so well in all 3 disciplines in your first triathlon. I have a feeling this is just your base, and you'll continue to improve from here. I can see you getting down into the 2:20 range without too much difficulty.

I decided that I'm going to do Papillion for sure. I'll let you know what my plans are as we get closer.

2007-06-21 12:33 PM
in reply to: #853016

User image

Regular
Thanks again Rob. It's somewhat sad because I am very, very pleased with my time, but now I sit here and think that I could have done better and I calculate just how much time I can take off in each discipline and in the transitions. I think I could break 2:30 if I went out and did this again anytime soon just simply having done one before and being comfortable mentally and confident in my physical ability. Assuming we are going to do the Hy Vee one again next year and also assuming my training continues, here are my unrealistic goals for it at this point:
Swim- 25:00
Bike- 1:00:00
Run- 40:00
Transitions total- 5:00
Total time- 2:10:00

That would have been good for 6th place in our age group this year. Like I said, probably unrealistic at this point, but using this as my base as you said and hopefully my training will continue, I can get there with some very hard work.

Good to hear about the Papio tri. Do you think the family will come too or just you? We'll get stuff figured out in the next few weeks I'm sure.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon Rss Feed