Duluth, Minnesota
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 37m 9s
Overall Rank = 4238/6898
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 745/1338
Pre-race routine:

Got up at the camp site at 5:00am. Thank god for the air mattress, I slept like a rock that night! No pre race jitters or anything. Had my racing stuff all set up and ready to go, so it didn't take long to get ready. I had found this kid's bull frog sunblock called "marathon mist" so I obviously had to buy it and use it for this race. Watermelon-scented and everything, ooh la la! Had an everything bagel for breakfast (I think that will become my traditional marathon breakfast) and then roused Soren to drive me to a hotel just down the mountain, where there was a bus waiting to take runners to the starting line.
On the bus I sat next to a very nice woman who was also doing her 1st Grandma's, 2nd marathon overall. We talked the whole ride up there.
I drank 2 bottles of powerade option before the race b/c it was going to get warm that morning, and dehydration was the last thing I wanted to worry about. I also had one gel right before we started, and washed that down with some regular water.
My starting postion was way in the back of the corral. It would have been too much work to try to get any closer, so I was really close to the 5:30 pace group. They seemed like a fun bunh That didn't bother me though, b/c I wasn't concerned with time.
Event warmup:

From where I was in the back of the corral, it took about 6 minutes to get to the starting line. Not that bad actually, considering there were almost 10,000 runners.
Run
  • 4h 37m 9s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

It was pretty congested for the first couple miles. It was such a big race! There were 9700 runners. The only race I've ran that is bigger is the Boilermaker in NY, which is 12000+ runners. Those first couple miles were really cool b/c I could see the sea of runners ahead of me.
I had to pee very soon after we started- between mile 1 and 2. There were a few people ahead of me in line for the portapotties, and 600 people must have passed by in the time I stood there waiting. But you gotta do what you gotta do, and at that time I had to PEE like it was nobody's business. Better to drink too much than not enough, right?
The first couple miles were pretty standard and uneventful. I talked to people around me- one thing about Grandma's is there are no headphones/ipods allowed, so people are a lot more chatty.
At each water station I stopped to walk and drink, like my last race, except I walked for longer stretches- probably 1:30 or so.
The spectators along the run were great. There was this one group of people that were blasting that song "I like to move it move it!" and they had a guy in a big penguin suit jumping on a trampoline, and a guy in a cow suit yelling "mooooo-ve it! mooooo-ve it!" Hahaha.
I had to pee again around mile 7. At that time I took in a gu. I didn't feel like I really needed it, but better to be safe than sorry.
So I was just trucking along, feeling good. I saw a guy with an mdot tat on his calf and talked to him for awhile. He did IMWI last year and is going to do it again in 2008 (like me! hopefully) but couldn't this year on account of his wife "threatened divorce because of that damn triathlon obsession," hahaha. I am sure people here can relate!
Around mile 10 there was this most beautiful black man I had ever seen, running shirtless just a bit ahead of me. He was GORGEOUS. Well actually, his body was gorgeous, I didn't really pay attention to his face. The same time I noticed him, I overheard a group of girls right next to me who noticed him and we all talked about how he was the perfect carrot-on-a-stick to chase after. I figured what the hell, why not go and say hello, so I made my way over to him and introduced myself. Turns out this adonis was named Jeremiah and it was his first marathon! Unfortunately he was moving slower than I was, so I had to bid him adieu.
The half way mark came and went. Running along the lake was really nice, but it was starting to heat up and there was hardly any shade anywhere! I made sure to dump water on my head at each stop, and occasionally took ice and poured it down my sports bra. I had brought advil with me (lesson-learned from the last race) and took some around half way. At this time I started looking out for the three guys (Soren, and my two friends Matt & Tom who came along for the weekend) b/c they were going to meet me along the course and then head to the finish line.
I ran up on two girls, sisters, from my No Limits class, so I ran with them for awhile. It was good to see them and I got a little boost from it. One of the sisters was having a harder time than the other one and she kept saying "you can go! you can leave, don't let me hold you back" but they were going to cross together. I thought that was so cool, my sister & I will totally have to do a marathon together someday!
At mile 16 there were a ton of spectators, and I heard the three guys before I saw them- they were screaming their heads off! They all had on homemade "Go BD!!" shirts (complete with sparkles!) and posterboard signs for me! Such a nice suprise! They looked so good that I stopped for a photo-op with them and then went on my way, saying that I'd see them at the finish line.
Another stop at a portapotty (I had FOUR stops total, yowza), another few miles done. Had my 3rd and last gu at mile 20. Around this time we were starting to make it into town. I saw my roommate Jeff, who was up there for the weekend to cheer on one of his best friends. He took a picture of me flexing as I ran by. I noticed that I didn't have any of the quads-are-seizing-up feeling like I did for my last race. In fact, I felt pretty good, all things considered! I continued taking my walking stops at each water station, which were now every mile. Kept dumping water down my back and on my head b/c it was really warming up.
The last 6 miles felt pretty good (in fact, my 1st 10K time was 1:04:14, my last 10K time was 1:05:14)- there was not any of the pain like the last race. I skipped the last water stop b/c I was feeling so good and finished strong!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing- I really had fun this race and enjoyed being able to take it easy and not care about my finishing time.
Post race
Warm down:

I got my medal and finisher's shirt, and saw a bunch of people walking around with ice cream, so I investigated the sitaution and got myself over to the ice cream booth asap! They had SO much food for the runners, I saw people walking around with trays piled full of chips and sandwiches and fruit. I didn't have much of an appetite but that mint chocolate chip ice cream was just what the doctor ordered. I strolled voer to medical and asked for two bags of ice for my knees, then found a nice curb to sit on and eat my ice cream while icing my knees. It tasted glorious! Especially in the hot sun. A girl sat next to me and we started talking about the race, and it turns out we had met at the wine and cheese party last month! Small world. She had to sit in the medical tent for 1/2 an hour during the race b/c she overheated and couldn't see straight- yikes! Good thing I was able to keep myself cool, that would have been terrible.
I decided to leave the runner's area and find the guys. Turns out I beat them to the finish, b/c of all the traffic from the race, but we found each other easily enough. We headed back to the camp ground to wash up and have some lunch. I had a nice long nap before going back into Duluth for dinner and drinks that night- I felt good enough to walk around and stay out! Those people running slower marathons have the right idea!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running a marathon 3 weeks ago. But I'm so glad I ran this one the way I did- it was FUN! And the day after I felt good! Who ever thought that a marathon could be so enjoyable?

Event comments:

This marathon is wonderful. The course is great, the volunteers are wonderful, the water stops are plentiful and organized. They do a GREAT job putting on this race. I can see why this is a must-do for anyone in the midwest. I give it two thumbs way up!

Last updated: 2007-04-09 12:00 AM
Running
04:37:09 | 26.2 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 745/1338
Overall: 4238/6898
Performance: Good
Course: Point to point. All along Lake Superior until the last few miles, which went through downtown Duluth.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Subject: Grandmas Marathon

2007-06-18 11:31 AM
in reply to: #848614

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Grandmas Marathon
Great job Bridget! Reading the RR, you were having so much fun, that it seemed like you weren't even running a marathon. That is so cool. Great job and I'll be interested to see if you "throw on" a 3rd to qualify for the Maniacs.......Congrats!
2007-06-18 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
The race sounded so fun that I even had a smile on my face reading your RR!! Great job finishing 2 marathons in 3 weeks- you are a rockstar!! Sounds like an awesome race, and you had some superb spectators out there- how cool!! Hope the recovery is easier on this one!
2007-06-18 12:21 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Now that's how a marathon should be run! Glad you had fun.
2007-06-18 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,

I as worried about all y'all doing the full, what with it getting so warm. Sounds like you took it all in stride - nice job!

Very encouraging RR, I hope I can have such a good attitude during a long- run someday!

2007-06-18 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Great Job again!!  Nice evenly paced run...your first and last 10K were almost identical.  Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself out there in those hot and horrible conditions

2007-06-18 1:34 PM

User image

Elite
What a great report.  Nice job once again.
2007-06-18 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Nice job!
2007-06-18 2:07 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Fun times!!!  Your race report was a hoot!  You should be a writer.  Congrats on a fantastically fun marathon.  I'm living for the day when I can describe a marathon as 'total fun!'
2007-06-18 3:19 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Great job out there last weekend

Hold onto the memory of this race and the pace because this is just what the final 26.2 of your Ironman is going to be like. (The rule I read was to add 30-45 minutes to your open Marathon PR)

This is how an even paced marathon is supposed to be run and you nailed it. I am sure that coming off of your race 3 weeks ago was a huge advantage in terms of fitness and mental energy. (One of my Team Mates swears by doubling up races and frequently runs a PB in the second race)

I must say, any race that is giving out ice cream at the finish line is definitely a good one. My friends from Minn. were right: This is an excellent race. (They were so stoked that I actually knew people who were running in the race much less heard of Grandma's)

So, what race are you going to run to qualify for MarathonManiacs
2007-06-18 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Great attitude!

I certainly couldn't do two marathons in as short a period of time as you have.

2007-06-18 9:34 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Great job, especially considering you just ran another Mary 3 weeks ago. Fun RR, as always.
2007-06-19 7:29 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
Fun! Fun??
Clearly I was in the wrong race. I should have been running with you.
Great performance! 2 maras in 3 weeks. I did 2 in 5 weeks last year and that was tough enough. My hat goes off to you.

Ian
2007-06-19 10:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Very nice - and fun to read!  You may have just inspired me to do Grandma's in '08!
2007-06-20 11:45 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Awesome job!! What a great way to spend the day! (That sounds sick to most mortals!!) I was a little disappointed to hear that you waited for a porta-potty. Are there no good trees in MN?

Sounds like you had a great time!! Fun to read too!!

Keep up the great training!!!

2007-06-24 10:45 PM

Loved your RR. I had a friend that flew out for CO to run the race and he had a good time too. Hope the knees feel better by now. And that 'adonis' you described, I'm sure he was thinking similar thoughts about you.

Seriously, way to enjoy the race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grandmas Marathon Rss Feed