Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 32s
Overall Rank = 429/458
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 61/68
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5:00 and had half of a balance bar and some Powerade. Just hadn't planned this out well and was feeling kind of rushed.
Event warmup:

Pretty decent walk from Lakeside Pavilion to the transition area, so by the time I got set up and walked back to the swim start, it was almost go time. I did get a chance to talk to a few people in my age group and that helped pass the time and calm my nerves a bit.
Swim
  • 16m 43s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, uh, let's see. I made it to the finish without walking! It wasn't too bad, but I tired out.
What would you do differently?:

Swimming is my weakest sport and I am already looking for somewhere to take some lessons and get serious. I really just need to be more comfortable in the water and that is going to take lots of pool time.
Transition 1
  • 04m 10s
Comments:

I felt pretty good once I got out of the water and stopped weaving around. The transition included a pretty steep incline and I just couldn't run it. I wanted to be in good shape for the bike. Put sunglasses and helmet on immediately. I managed to get socks on pretty quickly and shoes. Grabbed some Powerade and my fuel of choice - gummi bears (I'm experimenting right now, and those have seemed to work lately).

Just try and hurry a bit more, but with the incline into transition, I felt ok with it.
Bike
  • 1h 41m 38s
  • 18 miles
  • 10.63 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tough course for me. But I finished, and that's all I cared about!

I just haven't done enough cycling. I have a rough time on the hills, but seem to power through at a snail's pace. I look forward to better training and a better experience on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

I tried to hop off the bike at the dismount line, and it was uh, well, not good. I hit my chest on my seat and had to catch my breath. Sort of pushed bike towards rack and looked around dismayed when they were announcing that transition was now open to come pick up your stuff. But someone shouted some encouragement towards me and it really helped! Tossed my hat on and headed out.

More careful getting off the bike and then hustling in transition.
Run
  • 38m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really sludgy leaving transition and had a tough time figuring out where to go because people were blocking the course. Got pointed in the right direction. I ran most of it, but had to stop a few times just from overall tiredness.

I didn't do a very good job with nutrition from the start and I think it affected me by the time I got to the run. I felt ok though and it was over before I knew it!
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in line for the breakfast, but got antsy and just grabbed an apple and a bottled water. Got my results printed out and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and bad nutrition before and during the race.

Event comments:

It was a fantastic race. Truly. As my second foray into the world of Triathlon, I am amazed at how friendly everyone is. And I really do love the energy that is in the air at these races. It makes me want to dive in head first to this world of tri. And learn as much as I can. The race organizers did a fantastic job, and as much as I hated taking my bike up the first day, I'm glad I did because I made it to the race a little late Sunday morning and was rushed setting up transition. It would have been worse lugging my bike with me. The race course was laid out well with organizers all along the route cheering us on and directing at every turn. The run course had 2 aid stations, which gave us lots of chances to get fluids. Spectators cheered everyone on, even in the later portions of the race.

Personally, this race reminded me a lot of the Georgia Marathon (my second marathon). I had the same feelings of frustration, which turned into motivation. Motivation to train properly and learn as much as I can about this sport. And with my marathon training going well, it does make me see that tri is possible. So I'm thinking about joining a training group that will give me a chance to get to group rides and swims (after I take a few more swim lessons).

I was being really hard on myself during the car ride home. And then I had to stop and shake my head. Hello - you just finished a triathlon! Enjoy it for a little while before you start analyzing how crappy it was and how much you need to train for the next one. Why am I so hard on myself? It really was an amazing experience. 458 women, all shapes and sizes. Talk about girl power. These women were so awesome. The whole experience just made me want to be a better athlete. To do right by myself and be prepared. Because there are days when I feel like an athlete, and days when I just don't feel capable. Man. I seriously respect any of you out there that are training for these things. Sprint, oly, half and ironman. I don't know how the hell you do it. I'm just gonna say that I respect that distance more than ever before.

Last updated: 2007-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:43 | 586 yards | 02m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 60/68
Overall: 392/458
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri Top and Bottom, No Wetsuit.
Course: Swim along beach inside buoys. Was a point to point swim, no turnaround point.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:41:38 | 18 miles | 10.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 57/68
Overall: 434/458
Wind: None
Course: Rolling Hills, with a few mean uphills. But these were tempered with some nice downhills as well. Managed to stay on the bike for all but one towards the end that just wouldn't quit. It's gotta get easier with a road bike? Mine's a hybrid and it just stinks!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:13 | 03.11 miles | 12m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 57/68
Overall: 406/458
Course: Fairly easy course, a few hills but nothing too crazy. Great aid stations - since it was out and back, lots of chances for fluids.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 1:32 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon

2007-06-18 1:35 PM
in reply to: #849082

User image

Veteran
Florida!
Subject: RE: RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon
sarah!!!!!

you kicked that race's , really. next up: bike work.
2007-06-18 1:37 PM
in reply to: #849098

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Debs!

My mantra on the bike was lots of positive self talk. Just to get through it. "Look at you! You've lost 80 lbs!" "You're an Iron Girl"....it helped, I finished
2007-06-18 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Congratulations - you finished a tough race!! You should be really proud of yourself, the hills out there looked brutal, but you powered through and finished the race!! You have a great attitude about using the race to motivate your training - that's the best way to approach tris, in my opinion. It sounds like you have made amazing progress - keep it up!

Congratulations, IronGirl!

2007-06-18 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida!
heh. they blocked my a$$. hrmph.

you have come a long way, sarah. you have so much to be proud of.
2007-06-18 2:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats! You did a great job and finished your second triathlon! Way to go girl, actually IronGirl! Good luck with your training. The North Atlanta Multisport Club was out at the race in force as both racers and volunteers and are a great group of athletes of all backgrounds and skill levels... come check out a meeting or training event and see if it works for you.

2007-06-19 9:46 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
You did it!  You finished and that's what counts.  Congratulations.
2007-06-19 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Awesome job Sunday!!  That hill after the swim was not fun, neither were the ones on the bike and the run!!  Great job pushing through!  Keep it up and you'll be stronger each race!!
2007-06-19 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
I think it's great that you caught yourself with the negative self talk and reminded yourself of what you had accomplished.  It is a HUGE accomplishment to do a triathlon, of any distance.  Too often we compare ourselves to other people, or against goals that are very hard to meet an we end up missing the big picture.  Congrats to you and definitely come check out the North Atlanta Multisport Club - it's a great group of people of all different levels.
2007-06-19 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

Nice race! Glad you stopped the negative thoughts and started thinking about how amazing it is to complete a race. Great job!

2007-06-19 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

Nice race! Glad you stopped the negative thoughts and started thinking about how amazing it is to complete a race. Great job!

2007-06-19 9:55 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Congrats IronGirl!!  I was so happy to see so many women enjoying in this craziness we call Triathlon.  You did great and don't let the negative self talk get you.  You Rock!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon Rss Feed