United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 52s
Overall Rank = 488/924
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/54
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30 and had 1/2 of a powerbar, and water. Started doing some stretching for my side pain. Went to the bathroom, got dressed and we left the house about 6:30 for the race site.
Event warmup:

Continued with side stretches, jogged around a little.
Run
  • 56m 52s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Worst race since originally hurting my side freshman year of high school, or actually, since the 1/2 marathon in Arizona. The side pain came on right away, after the first 1/2 mile. I did everything to try to get it to go away...I stopped, for the first time in a race, to try to stretch the area out, and it just kept coming back, and when it did, it was worse than before. I couldn't get any air, since it felt like everytime I inhaled, it would get sharper.

Also, towards the end of the run, I noticed how much my feet hurt. That has to be because I NEED new shoes, which I will be getting ASAP!!
What would you do differently?:

No idea, I can't figure this side pain out. I haven't ever had it hurt as much as it did today...and it did nothing but completely upset me. I started crying halfway through, and fel totally defeated by this stupid thing. I would give anything for it to just go away, FOREVER!!

Am seeing Dr. on Monday to figure out next steps...think I should get an MRI to have area looked at.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing...stretched, drank a ton of water. Then we hung out for awhile, had some popsicles, and then drove back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

STUPID SIDE PAIN!!

Event comments:

Hands down, this is still one of the best races out there. I love that my brother and sister and now my 10 year old nephew and sister in law do it now too...it's a really nice family event. Just want to be able to run not in pain...PLEASE!!

Last updated: 2007-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:56:52 | 06.2 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/54
Overall: 488/924
Performance: Bad
Course: Sunburst 10 k. Think the course might have been different than previous 2 years, but not sure...was in too much pain to actually notice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes