United States
Xterra
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 11m 53s
Overall Rank = 73/144
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 18/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had some coffee, ate a powerbar and sipped some HEED drink. Drove up to the venue with Chris. Set up transition and then hung out with Alex and Sam (the short course was their first ever TRI!). Wandered around a bit waiting for the start.
Event warmup:

DId a bit of swimming to get used to the water.
Swim
  • 19m 44s
  • 1000 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started on the outside looking for a bit of clean water. There were so many people in the first wave that I did not have any clean water to start with. I did not want to go out too hard so I hung back and waited a bit while swimming. I ended up passing a few people and had some bumps and such on the first loop. It felt a bit harder than it should have. By the second loop I was in cleaner water and was able to run at my own pace. The cleaner water was a relative term as the beginning was so churned up with mud that I could not see anything and it actually tasted a bit dirt-like. I had a bit of contact around the buoys but nothing major. My exertion seemed better on the second loop. I suspect the course was a bit long as I can swim in the pool without a wetsuit at less than race pace at a much faster clip than I ended up in the race based on 1000 yards.
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim faster. Perhaps I need to get up front and swim harder and not get worried about people passing me. I think I may be swimming slower than I can because of my tendency to wait for an opening.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Was fairly good but I think I was going in slow motion.

move faster!
Bike
  • 2h 07m 50s
  • 20 miles
  • 9.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, where to begin. The bike started out well and I had a good run down the initial hill and started climbing up the two track. I passed a couple folks and was passed but was doing well from a pacing and exertion standpoint. We got to the singletrack and I ended up following someone who was going a bit slower than I wanted to. I could not find a good place to pass so I hung back and got a bit of a rest. We made it to the technical section where I had to walk the bike through as did everyone else. Just past there a ways was a steep section followed by a turn. I successfully downshifted to be ready for the climb and made it nicely to the top. Feeling good, I started to make the sharp left hand turn and found myself leaning too far inward. I pedaled furiously and proceeded to spin out that gear without the acceleration to make the turn. In what felt like slow motion my angle got steeper and steeper into the turn until somehow gravity got the best of me and the earth jumped up and hit me. I scraped up my left arm and my hip took a good hit. Mostly bruising my ego, I popped up, checked the parts and proceeded to ride away. The course continued along the single track and I traded places with a few folks, passed some people, and was passed by the fast ones. I made it through the ups and downs and made it to the nice long downhill but with my technical abilities in question, I held back a bit on the descent. I had a couple of moments where I washed out the front end and puckered up pretty good. I finally made it to the uphill in the singletrack again and I found myself behind someone who was going slower than I wanted to. I finally found a good place to pass and made a break for it. I cruised along and made it back to the two-track descent just befor the big hill. At the bottom of the big hill there is a right turn. Now, having bruised my left side and scraped my left arm, I must have subconsciously wanted to maintain symmetry. At the bottom I made the right hand turn and proceeded to carry more speed than the front tire could handle which threw me mercilessly to the earth. I again scraped my arm and bruised my hip but this time it was on the right side. I popped up, checked the parts and started off again. After that I cruised up the hill and managed to spin up the whole way. I ran out of water in my camelbak about mid way through the hill. I then spun on into the transition area and got ready for the run. I think my crashes cost me about 5 minutes tops aside from the confidence issues associated with having fallen down. I took 3 gels, one every 30 minues and drank 3 bottles (300 cal) of HEED from my camelbak. That totals 600 cal in the 2 hours which worked well.

Hmmm... Lets see, I think if I dont fall down that would be an improvement. I also think I need to be more agressive on the passing of people when I want to ride faster. I guess that sums up as me improving my MTB technical skills!
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

This transition worked pretty well for me.

go faster!
Run
  • 40m 54s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out doing pretty well but with a high HR and percieved exertion. The course started up a hill which made it a bit hard to get into a good groove. I had to hike up a few steep sections as I could not keep running. I gradually passed a number of people on the run and started feeling better and better as it went along. My pace was pretty good for me considering the terrain and the technical aspects of it. I think the best part is I did not fall down!

I feel pretty good about the run. I think continuing to work on my run speed and strength will help me out.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, hung out with Chris and talked to a couple friends. Walked around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

MTB technical skills, mental pacing on the swim and bike sections and overall fitness.

Event comments:

Good race and my first Exterra. I would do it again and am planning on running the CB Exterra event later this month.

Last updated: 2007-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:44 | 1000 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/30
Overall: 0/144
Performance: Average
Suit: Promotion sleevless + sleeves
Course: Basic triangular counter-clockwise course consisting of two loops with a short run in between.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:07:50 | 20 miles | 9.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/30
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Out with two mouse ear hoops then back the way we came. plenty of singletrack with a mix of roads. There were a couple of technical spots that people dismounted for. Lots of hills as expected.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:40:54 | 05 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/30
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run around the lake, up hills, over bridges, across roots and rocks and stuff, finally following a road back to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes