United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 35m 41s
Overall Rank = 108/144
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early. Ate a the standard peanut butter and honey toast with a cup of apple sauce. Couple of cups of coffee. Got to the transition are very early and selected a spot right next to the bike and run exit area. Set my area and reviewed how I was going to run the race. My goal was to be slow and steady and enjoy my first XTERRA attempt.
Event warmup:

Got a little running in and 5 minutes of swimming to get acclimated to the 58 degree water.
Swim
  • 20m 5s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first mass start. All 144 of us. My plan was to hold back at the start, get my rythym, and begin to move it forward. It worked pretty well. I was in very good shape getting out of water and ahead of a bunch of guys. It was nice to see a lot of yellow caps still in the water while I was on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Get up front next time. There won't be so many people slowing me down. I had to break my rythym several times during the swim becaue others in front started breast stroking or having some difficulty maintaining the pace.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I put on socks while standing, then MTB shoes while standing, helmet glasses and MTB gloves. My ranking there was 55/144. Overall T1 went well. I didn't hurry and I had no problems.

I will continue to practice socks on, shoes on while standing.
Bike
  • 2h 20m 19s
  • 20 miles
  • 8.55 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my second MTB ride ever. My first was last week at the pre-ride on a rigid frame MTB. After getting beat up I decided to rent a front suspension bike for the race. I slapped my pedals and seat on it went for it. I had no expectations here, I knew I didn't have the skills to go fast on the trails. Especially the downhill segments.

Buy a MTB, Ride more MTB. The last 2.5 miles was a very steep climb. I pushed hard on this hill, passed a bunch people and paid for it later on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

I was 50/144 on this time so I must be getting it done right. I pretty much walked to my transition area. Shoes on while standing, hat, bib number and away I went.

Pedal on top of my shoes, run from the dismount to my area.
Run
  • 51m 49s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I couldn't get my legs moving. I know I thought about the run on the last mile of the bike but I don't think I was really prepared to make the transition. I pushed hard on the last bike climb, my heart rate was way up and my legs felt like lead. The first mile or so is all up hill. I wasn't prepared for that and it momentarily beat me. So I walked and ran and walked and ran until I figured out that I am a trained triathlete and I will not be defeated. Once I fixed the mental attitude I was able to get myself into a sustainable run pace. I ran the same course on the Sunday after the race to check my confidence in 40:37. An 8:07 pace.

Not sure yet, I have been doing my bricks but not at this duration or intensity.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got refueld and hydrated. Met some new people. Went fishing with my grandson.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inexperience in MTB riding was a definite factor. Not have a clear understanding of the run course or a plan for the run.

Event comments:

This was my first XTERRA race. It was great. Lots of support. I am looking forward to next year.

Last updated: 2007-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:05 | 1000 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 86/144
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion Full Suit
Course: Two loops around bouys with a short run in between each loop.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 28F / -2C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:20:19 | 20 miles | 8.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/15
Overall: 120/144
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: National forest roads, fire service roads and single track. Lots of hills and not too terribly technical. Some of the younger MTB crowd call it a fast course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:49 | 05 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/15
Overall: 124/144
Performance: Below average
Course: Trail run on forest roads and single track. The first mile is all up.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes