North Carolina Triathlon Series
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 14s
Overall Rank = 169/418
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/66
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:00 am. Showered, coffee and nutri-grain bar. Got the wife and kids up and headed to the race site around 4:45am. Not much traffic yet so we drove right in. Parked, got bike set up. Grabbed transition bag and headed for racesite. Got out of the parking lot to the rode and realized I forgot my cycling computer in the car. Ran back to get it and started off again.
Event warmup:

Got timing chip and transition setup. Hung out in transition with love2tri. Met Rob, Keith and Eric. Ran a mile or so to get heart rate up and break a sweat. Walked down to the lake and hung out with the family.
Swim
  • 15m 45s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was what I expected. Only my second OWS without a wetsuit so had a few nervous thoughts but not too bad. Started out at the back of the pack. Kept telling myself slow and steady. Was pretty crowded. Ran into several people and got run into as well. Checked watch at the turn and new I was on pace. After making last turn in the traffic thinned out. Lost my drafting partner half way through the last leg. Knew where I was going so it didn't matter. :)
Swam in to far too shore. Was happy to be out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Spend more time practicing on OWS. Need a swim coach to learn the more technical aspects of swimming.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Ran up the hill, across the gravel and parking lot into the transition area. Came up on a guy in the same rack as mine who was sitting down putting on his cycling shoes. Put on my socks, shoes, put gel in tri-top and put on helmet. Grabbed bike and was out. When I left the guy was still sitting down putting on his shoes so I felt pretty good about this transition. Had exit planned out to the right of the beach.

Practice riding without socks so that I can rubber band shoes to bike. Other than that not much.
Bike
  • 47m 53s
  • 17 miles
  • 21.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a hard time getting clipped in which is strange because this had never happened before in a race. Told myself to slow down, got clipped in and took off. Wasn't exactly sure which side of the left hand lane to ride on so picked the right side. Passed a few people on the left that were riding in the middle of the lane. That was a little hairy even though I yelled "on your left". Really liked this course. A good variety of flat, downhills and uphills. Passed and got passed by the same couple of guys for the first twelve miles. Lost my Aero bottle top at mile 5 so took a Gatorade bath the rest of the ride. Saw 1Foot on the motorcycle about mile 12. One of the longest hills was about mile 13 or so. Wasn't expecting this so I struggled a little bit but recovered at the top. Spun into transition for the last half-mile or so.

Drive the course the night before.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Off with helmet. Calves cramped up pretty badly putting on running shoes. Grabbed run number and was out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

First part of the run had the normal cramping in calves and hamstrings. This went away after the 1st mile. Started feeling better but did not have much left for some reason. Kept running but was just kinda holding on. Passed a couple of people but was passed by more. Glad to see wife and kids at the finish line.

need to work on run fitness. having a hard time running when tired. gotta log the miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Got something to drink and walked back to the run finish to meet up with family. Cheered on Eric, Alice and Rob at the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training. Didn't realize how much run fitness I had lost. Not only log more miles but increase training run intensity.

Event comments:

This was a great race. Enjoyed meeting the Charlotte BT group. Would definitely do this one again.

Last updated: 2007-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:45 | 820 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 33/66
Overall: 194/418
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:47:53 | 17 miles | 21.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/66
Overall: 138/418
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:29 | 03.11 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/66
Overall: 214/418
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 10:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Latta Plantation Triathlon

2007-06-20 11:48 AM
in reply to: #849863

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Subject: RE: Latta Plantation Triathlon
Great job out there...sorry did not think to warn you about the mi 13 hill...next time
2007-06-20 12:36 PM
in reply to: #849863

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Latta Plantation Triathlon
Great race Wade! I thought your swim time was great given your OWS experience. You're bike split was awesome, as expected. Glad you were able to make it and we finally got to meet. MAYBE I'll see you at Pinehurst.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Latta Plantation Triathlon Rss Feed