Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Disability or Life Insurance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-20 2:10 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Disability or Life Insurance?

Ok...as I sit here with my Mom in the hospital after her back surgery, I got to thinking.  I asked my mom if she had disability insurance and she said No.  She got rid of it because it cost too much and she didn't feel she needed it.  Since she'll be out for 4-6 weeks, it was a bad call.  But that's not the point. 

I know she has life insurance because she was very adamant about having and keeping it.  But the more I think about it, it's more  likely that you'll get disabled than die. 

Here is my question, if you are living paycheck to paycheck and you have a choice between life and disability insurance, which would you pick?  And which do you have?  Obviously, both is the correct answer, but what if you have to choose.

I know I have life insurance and disability insurance (I think). 

2007-06-20 2:21 PM
in reply to: #852799

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Disability or Life Insurance?

*IF* I had to choose, and only one choice was allowed, I'd go with Disability.  Plain and simple, it covers the "here and now" (and even then, only a percentage) of my cost to *live*.

This said, I've got both.  I purchased a DI policy many years ago and still have it.  Regardless of my employment situation, I'll always have it. (as long I pay monthly premium).  With an eye to the future, I also purchased a LI policy many years ago.  I knew I wanted to get married and I knew I wanted to have a family - putting a LI policy in place in anticipation of same would guarantee wife and/or family would have *something* should I die.  It also mitigated the *possible* chance of being uninsurable (or perhaps insurable at a higher premium) by the time wife/family was in place.

Also, re: what type of LI?  I've got several term policies.  Two are level premium (20-yr, I believe) and the other has a gradually increasing rate based upon my age.

HTH

2007-06-20 2:26 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

In all likelihood, DI... especially if no one depends on your income. There are a lot of people who carry life insurance that probably don't need it... semi-related question... why does your mom have life insurance? Does she need it?

If you have to pick one, I say play the percentages and go with DI.

I have both, myself.

edit: I have a 30-year term policy.  Hopefully in 30 years, hopefully sooner, we will be in a position that life insurance is not needed.

Edited by newLeaf 2007-06-20 2:28 PM
2007-06-20 2:30 PM
in reply to: #852844

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
newLeaf - 2007-06-20 1:26 PM

I have both, myself.

edit: I have a 30-year term policy.  Hopefully in 30 years, hopefully sooner, we will be in a position that life insurance is not needed.

If you are talking about having enough in investments that equals the face about of LI and therefore being “self insured,” AMEN to your thinking.

2007-06-20 2:32 PM
in reply to: #852858

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
tupuppy - 2007-06-20 3:30 PM
newLeaf - 2007-06-20 1:26 PM

I have both, myself.

edit: I have a 30-year term policy. Hopefully in 30 years, hopefully sooner, we will be in a position that life insurance is not needed.

If you are talking about having enough in investments that equals the face about of LI and therefore being “self insured,” AMEN to your thinking.

That's the thinking.  We'll see how it plays out in practice.  Need to cut down on tri gear.   

2007-06-20 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

NewLeaf,
No, my mom doesn't need it.  She wants it because she sees it as a way to make sure her kids get something when she dies.  I have tried to talk her out of it, but no go.

when I got my LI policy, that's the way our guy explained it to us.  You start out with a good policy and then as your savings increases, your need for LI goes down.  So basically, you Savings Acct/Investments are your LI policy.

I'm not looking forward to seeing how my mom plans on covering her costs for the next month.  I've already ponied up her mortgage and HOA fees. 

2007-06-20 2:45 PM
in reply to: #852880

Elite

In my mind the ONLY reason one needs life insurance is if one has financial dependents. And then only if ones total financial portfolio is not in itself adequate.

However, I think everyone can benefit from disability insurance. Your mom's situation is a good example of why.

Edited to add: Having said that, I pay for a 5x annual salary term LI plan through my employer, and I also pay for a disability plan (I think it pays like 60% of annual salary after you use up your sick leave.)

Edited by ScottoNM 2007-06-20 3:02 PM
2007-06-20 2:58 PM
in reply to: #852889

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
ScottoNM - 2007-06-20 3:45 PM

In my mind the ONLY reason one needs life insurance is if one has financial dependents. And then only if ones total financial portfolio is not in itself adequate.

no doubt.  we are having our second baby this August, and have received solicitations for life insurance on the not-yet-born baby.  absolutely ridiculous.

2007-06-20 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran

Having sold insurance in a past life, I can at least  voice my opinion here.

Insurance is a neccessary evil. You only see the benefits if something bad happens to you.  Life insurance is there to protect your family in case you die and they are dependent on your income.  Otherwise it is a waste of your money.  Most adult family members (husband and wife) should be covered by some life insurance because if either died then the remainding members would suffer financially by the loss.  Grown children do not need to profit by the death of a parent.  Therefore, life insurance should be reduced as your children become more independent.  Believe me, there are much better ways to invest money to leave a legecy behind.

Disability insurance might seem great, but in reality rarely pays off.  The likelyhood of recieving a qualifying condition does not justify the high premiums.  And understand this, the insurance companies have a vested interest in getting you off the payments and structure the payout to encourage you to return to providing your own income.  When viewed from a risk/reward concept, the risk (years of premiums versus no income) fails to beat the reward (opportunity cost of premiums versus limited coverage)

My recommendation is to consider what you are trying to cover.  And then determine the cheapest way to cover it.

2007-06-20 3:12 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
I sell this stuff, and let me tell you, DI is probably the most under-sold coverage based on need.  1 in 2 35 year olds will have a disability of at least 90 days prior to age 65.  48% of all home foreclosures are due to disability, while 3% are due to death. 
2007-06-20 4:07 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Our finance guy recently convinced us of the same...DI is the least-bought but most often needed...he gave us similar figures, 35% of people will have a qualifying disability period, but only 3% will die during the same time. That being said, we have 2 little munchkins, so we carry a boatload of both LI and DI.

Kristen

2007-06-20 4:40 PM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
My husband and I both have both coverages.  I'm comfortable with my ability to get reimbursed for DI if the need arises, because we have people here who use it like a 6 week paid vacation every year, year after year and I have never once seen anyone get denied.  And my husband works in a semi-hazardous profession, so whether or not I thought there was an off chance they might not reimburse him, it would be an idiotic gamble not to have it.  As for LI, we are each other's sole beneficiaries and it's to cover death expenses and as much extra as we deemed necessary for our particular situation.  It is not an inheritance for our children.  I have no desire to profit off of the death of my parents, and our children think the same way. That money can be better used now.  So if I absolutely had to choose one, it would be DI.  For both of us.
2007-06-20 5:25 PM
in reply to: #852955

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
zenith65 - 2007-06-20 3:12 PM

Having sold insurance in a past life, I can at least  voice my opinion here.

Insurance is a neccessary evil. You only see the benefits if something bad happens to you.  Life insurance is there to protect your family in case you die and they are dependent on your income.  Otherwise it is a waste of your money.  Most adult family members (husband and wife) should be covered by some life insurance because if either died then the remainding members would suffer financially by the loss.  Grown children do not need to profit by the death of a parent.  Therefore, life insurance should be reduced as your children become more independent.  Believe me, there are much better ways to invest money to leave a legecy behind.

Disability insurance might seem great, but in reality rarely pays off.  The likelyhood of recieving a qualifying condition does not justify the high premiums.  And understand this, the insurance companies have a vested interest in getting you off the payments and structure the payout to encourage you to return to providing your own income.  When viewed from a risk/reward concept, the risk (years of premiums versus no income) fails to beat the reward (opportunity cost of premiums versus limited coverage)

My recommendation is to consider what you are trying to cover.  And then determine the cheapest way to cover it.

I'll disagree with the first bold statement because I agree with the second one. 

Insurance is just a means of managing risk.  Statistically speaking, it never pays off because the insurer expects some profit in the deal.  For most of us, a high probability-small loss (to insurance) is preferable to a rare-large loss (catastrophic fire). 

Term life insurance is relatively cheap for us "youngsters" because the odds of dying are pretty low.  Disability insurance is relatively expensive because the probability of suffering some disabling injury are 35-50%.   If the odds are this high, then the practical solution is to build a sufficient nest egg to protect against a short-term (several months) loss of income.  Not quite as nice as buying a CF bike, but hey, it sucks to grow up. 

As to the OP.  I have both term life and disability insurance as part of my benefits package from work. 

2007-06-20 5:40 PM

User image

Buttercup

Bear in mind that 2 disability options are offered - short and long term disability. Your mom could have used her STD insurance for her current needs (if she had carried it), depending on the plan she bought into. Life insurance isn't going to help her pay her bills.

Back when I was married and trying to have kids, I had STD, LTD and term life insurance. The disability coverage was so that we wouldn't lose the house or cars if I couldn't work. The life insurance was so that my hubby and anticipated kids would have no debts and a free/clear home if I died (had key man insurance, so hubby would have won a small lotto on me). Now that I am single, my house is almost paid for and credit debt is well below $1,000, I don't worry about life insurance at all. I'll buy LTD once I start collecting fees with my new business.

Edited by Renee 2007-06-20 5:41 PM
2007-06-20 5:41 PM
in reply to: #853262

Elite
Renee - 2007-06-20 4:40 PM

Bear in mind that 2 disability options are offered - short and long term disability. Your mom could have used her STD insurance for her current needs (if she had carried it), depending on the plan she bought into. ife insurance isn't going to help her pay her bills.

Back when I was married and trying to have kids, I had STD, LTD and term life insurance. The disability coverage was so that we wouldn't lose the house or cars if I couldn't work. The life insurance was so that my hubby and anticipated kids would have no debts and a free/clear home if I died (had key man insurance, so hubby would have won a small lotto on me). Now that I am single, my house is almost paid for and credit debt is well below $1,000, I don't worry about life insurance at all. I'll buy LTD once I start collecting fees with my new business.

Renee what is key man insurance?

2007-06-20 5:44 PM
in reply to: #853264

User image

Buttercup

That's something your employer takes out on you - both the company and my spouse would have been paid off if I died (I think my hubby would have received $3mil, if I recall correctly). Companies take out key man insurance policies on employees whose unexpected death would cause significant disruption to the business and revenues.

2007-06-20 10:39 PM
in reply to: #853268

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Renee - 2007-06-20 4:44 PM

That's something your employer takes out on you - both the company and my spouse would have been paid off if I died (I think my hubby would have received $3mil, if I recall correctly). Companies take out key man insurance policies on employees whose unexpected death would cause significant disruption to the business and revenues.

And then they pay a hitman 100k for a pro to murder you, leaving them 2.9 mill in the black.  Easy cash! 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Disability or Life Insurance? Rss Feed