General Discussion Race Reports! » No Frills Splash and Dash Training Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

No Frills Splash and Dash Training Race - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shamong, New Jersey
United States
pinebarrenstri.org
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 44m 55s
Overall Rank = 2/5
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove to race - wanted to practise with the wetsuit as never got to do this at the SBR tri when the swim was cancelled. Found this race near vacation.
Event warmup:

Stretched, jogged a tiny bit, warmed up shoulders but it was only a training race so tried not to be too serious and just to get my wetsuit practise out of the evening. Forgot to take Bodyglide but put some Pam on my lower legs - used the shopping bags again. The John is no trouble and fits well. Set up running shoes and stuff on a park bench.
Swim
  • 18m 10s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was surprised that I seemed to sight well despite the fact that we were swimming into the sun for the first 1/4 mile. Had to take 2 strokes to sight the buoys but was always pretty close to pointing to them with an occasional drift R. Hard to tuck my chin and lift my head to sight!! Was also surprised that it was hard (out of breath) work the whole way. Water was cedar brown. Goggles were fogging up on the last 200m or so - made the R turn at the last buoy and looked up to sight the beach and couldn't see anything due to fog. I knew it was a 90 deg turn so just kept swimming and came out just right.
What would you do differently?:

Do more swim training to keep form. Realise that I will never have this much room, calm water or luxury in a real race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Suit was down below hips on the 100 yd run to the TA only problem was getting it over the feet but I just heaved them off with my thumb.

Should've brought trail shoes with speed laces but didn't want to bring too much stuff on vacation so just had road running shoes so had to tie shoes. I also put socks on which Bob said took an age (~:30??). Plenty of space in TA!
Run
  • 25m 1s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were still spazzy - amazes me that the brain says "run" and the legs say "er, what?". Would've liked to have caught the guy ahead of me but plodded along - missed the downhills from the SBR race that got my legs turning over. Was thinking that the bike after the swim is easier because body weight is supported.

More bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

small jog but really not much. changed clothes in showers in the bathrooms.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training otherwise pretty happy with it all. First OWS in maybe 5, 10? years and dispelled some of my anxieties. Still don't like deep dark water and wouldn't necessarily like to swim out there by myself.

Event comments:

It's a training race series so it's definitely no frills - you race, you take your own times although there is a clock out for the out of T1 and the run. No awards, no prizes but lots of chances to practise a lot of things. For me it was all about trying out the wetsuit for the first time and getting in an OWS.

Last updated: 2007-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:10 | 880 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/5
Performance: Good
HR 161 at end of swim split
Suit: QR HydroJohn
Course: Out from the shore a wee bit and then L at the first bouy - 1/4 mile out keeping bouys on the R, turn at 4th buoy and return.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  01:44
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:25:01 | 03 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/5
Performance: Good
Run HR 169 - 173
Course: Trail run - nice - windy. Totally flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-20 9:44 PM

Veteran
Subject: No Frills Splash and Dash Training Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » No Frills Splash and Dash Training Race Rss Feed