Manitoba Lotteries Corporation
22C / 72F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 11m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:45am and had a shower, had a coffee afyer my shower. Ate my normal pre-long run breakfast:
1)bowl of cereal - usualy either Flax Plus or Vector
2)2 pce of toast with peanut butter

I need to eat this at least 2 hours before run time to allow for digestion,
made at least 2 trips to the washroom at home!
Event warmup:

Arrived at the university about 45 min before the start and walked a little bit. I stood in the porta-potti line for 20 min, had one last jetison of cargo...just to be safe!
Run
  • 2h 11m 45s
  • 21.08 kms
  • 06m 15s  min/km
Comments:

Overall position: 2031/3469
AG position: 165/221
Against all other men: 1271/1741

Well, I had an excellent run. I had a personal best in only my second event. The placing numbers kind of look ho-hum...but I thought that I kicked some ass. The only trouble I had was at the start - very slow pace. I stuck to my game plan of only walking at water stations if I needed to. I didn't look at my watch until the 10 mile mark, with the pace I had I thought I may be able to get in below 2:10:00...I started to pick up my pace a little...after about 1.5 miles of my "faster pace" I decided that I best return to my normal pace if I wanted to finish in one piece, that point came around the time I was running over the Bishop Grandin overpass...it doesn't seem as steep in the car!!! I kept saying to myself all day: "just run, don't think, just run" what a great thought. I did not focus on time (until about mile 10) just pace and how my body felt.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I will try to get closer to the front at the start line. I spent the first 1.5 - 2km trying to pass slower people. It was difficult to get my usual pace going. Once I found some elbow room I was fine. I felt as though I wasted alot of nrg early jumping up and down curbs and using short sprints trying to get around people.

Next time I will not worry about outcome (time) I will focus on just running and being aware of my body and pace. I got into trouble when I looked at time and started pushing it. odds are I would have finished under 2:10 if I didn't try to push harder...who knows!
Post race
Warm down:

Had to meet my son and wife at the Tim Hortons parking lot on Pembina...so I had a good walk down Bison Drive. Did some stretching on the sidewalk. Drank 1 litre of h2o while walking to meeting point. Drank 500ml of gatoraide at home.

Pre-race weight: 248
Post-race weight: 244

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I pushed too hard too far from the finish. I should have held my pace until the last 2 km (1 mile) I could have finished stronger.

Event comments:

I was very disappointed with what I received for my $85 entry fee! WPS 1/2 mary was a way bigger bang for the buck. I felt a little jiped going through the small refreshment tent after the run. The water was warm, the cups of gatoraide were small, they only had oranges and yogurt...even the medal was small. I thought there would be a better atmosphere after...not just an exit sign, oh well!

Last updated: 2007-05-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:11:45 | 21.08 kms | 06m 15s  min/km
Age Group: 165/
Overall: 2031/
Performance: Good
I don't track my HR yet. I am looking into getting a monitor in the next little while. I am unsure what to get at this point...so I am not getting one yet!
Course: Flat course, a couple of overpasses to make things interesting.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes