General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I held history today... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-22 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Subject: I held history today...
...in the form of a pair of Prefontaine's track flats!! A fellow runner I met through work ran with Pre at Oregon. We met for lunch and he brought a bunch of programs from Oregan track meets, as well as a photo album full of pictures of himself at practice and meets with Prefontaine and the other great runners from that team. He had a ton of stories to share that were absolutely incredible.

As we finished lunch he reached into his bag of memorablia and pulled out a pair of waffles. Apparently Bowerman had made this shoes in his kitchen with his wife's waffle iron!! These shoes were the beginning of a new era in racing. They were given to Prefontaine to try during a few runs, he didn't really like them, so he gave a few suggestions to Bowerman, then offered them up to Jim Ferris (who I met for lunch). Jim took them and ran some races in them. The shoes even had "PRE'S" written on the back of the heel!

There are only a few pairs around, some of which are in glass cases at the Nike Headquarters. It really was an inspirational meeting, and gave me some more motivation to get out there an run.

2007-06-22 6:53 PM
in reply to: #856527

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: I held history today...
I would have said, "let me try them" and then as I hit the 220 mark on the track, I would have turned right and out the gate. But seriously, really cool.

Edited by auto208562 2007-06-22 6:53 PM
2007-06-22 7:28 PM
in reply to: #856527

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: I held history today...
Damn...

I think Pre still holds the record for the 30/40 drill. I tried it once (when I was in college). I modified it to 35/45, but I still only lasted a few laps.

Man, to have those pieces of history in my hands... Things that not only defined Pre, but also were the foundations of arguably the biggest shoe company in the world.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I held history today... Rss Feed