Sanford Health
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 47m 44s
Overall Rank = 62/63
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 12/12
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5:00am, which is suprising since my alarm was set for 5:30. Upon waking I rolled out of bed and headed into the kitchen for a nice small breakfast of a blueberry bagel and two pieces of lightly buttered toast. After my morning constitutional, the alarms started going off in the bedroom. I had set them in 5 minute intervals, so that REALLY annoyed the wife. I let her sleep in until 5:45am while I continued prepping my gear. I had put the bike rack on and secured the bike the night before, so all that was left was double checking to make sure I had everything.

After the wife and I loaded the car my sister-in-law Tracy showed up with the kids (my nieces and nephew) and we were ready to go. That is, until we noticed that she had a flat tire on her car! So there we are, on schedule for once, and with a flat. The girls quickly changed the flat and put on the donut, which suprised me at how fast they did it (Nascar pitcrew in their future for sure). I didn't help because I didn't want to injure myself and I thought it was cute watching the two change a tire.

Finally, we were off. Arrived at the race location at 7:10, which allowed me 20 minutes to set up my transition area. The T wasn't secured so the wife was able to come in with me and help me set up. With my newly acquired gear (gel-bot, polar bottle, endurolytes) I felt very solid about the upcoming race.

Pre-race meeting at 7:30 was quite interesting, since like 20 people didn't bring a swimcap. This to me is a GLARING sign of not reading the rules, and it was about 10 people's first triathlon. Met up with fellow bt'er bearvb on the way back to the T and talked for a couple of minutes. It was great to have another BT'er there, even though he finished way before me. It was still like, dang we representin yo!

I went back to the T after the race meeting to do a once over of my setup. I changed things up a bit this week, since there was more room in the T. I had one side of my bike have T1 stuff and the other side T2. Since we had assigned bike racks by number, I ended up getting a subpar rack. In the end it wouldn't matter though since my swim tends to be BOP. Then I went off to warmup.
Event warmup:

Warmup consisted of sitting at the picnic tables with the family and watching everyone else warmup. Being rather new I do not yet get in warmups, as I'd rather just relax and stay calm before the race. I like to think that my swim leg is my warmup, haha.

Swim
  • 11m 32s
  • 450 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

After the smoothness of last week's beach start I figured this week would be the same. However, I think the group in general (guys/teams first, women 3 minutes later) started off slower than the one from last week. I got kicked quite a few times out of the gate, but never once did I get swam over. I also managed to avoid kicking for almost all of the swim leg, which last week kicking during the swim was what bonked me on the run.

The first 100ish felt really slow paced, due to fighting to get to the buoy line amoung a string of slower swimmers. Then I really just focused on my breathing and said, "Don't worry about sighting so often, take a few strokes in between crazy." And so I did. After that I began passing a couple people and I hit the turnaround quicker than I expected. At the turnaround I caught another guy who was doing a side-scissor kick somethingornother, and I again had to fight to pass since he wasn't leaving the buoy line (I think he may have been pulling his way along it?) and so I slowed pace for just a few seconds and then got in a GOOD rhythm and BLEW by this guy. I think a couple of guys may have ended up going wide to pass me, but for the race of the leg the buoy line was mine.

I knew the girls weren't far behind, but I didn't realize how close behind until Monica Porter (women's overall winner, 3rd woman at last week) caught me with a WICKED stroke-shot to the nose. My goggles came loose and let in some water, so I adjusted and kept going. Luckily I had my swim cap OVER my goggles else I might have lost them (thanks again BT'ers!) Before I knew it I stroked and felt a palmful of sand, talk about a nice swim!
What would you do differently?:

I really need to work on passing people! Right now I try to stick close to the buoy line which also seems to be the plan for all of the people I need to pass. I spent about 50 yards too many trying to pass a guy because I was afraid to go wide around him. Pee before the race, or in the water, about 100 yards in I really had to pee, couldn't relax enough.

Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

T-1 began the way that ensures I will have a slow T-1 time, with a run! We ran up the beach, across a bridge, up a cement path (most of us cut through the grass), and into the cement T-1 area (little rocks are love!). My bike was near the front, but on the inside of the racks. I plopped down on my butt, dipped my feet in my tupperware container of water, and then quickly dried them off with my extra towel. I threw on my socks (thank god for you Thorlos running socks!) and then my shoes. The lock laces worked great this time since I took a few seconds to get everything nice and tight. T-shirt on, helmet on, I took a swig of gatorade and off I went. On the way out I waved to my adoring fans (aka family).

Run faster from the beach? The time might have been slow but I felt like I didn't waste any time.
Bike
  • 51m 28s
  • 13 miles
  • 15.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew that this bike ride was going to be tough, so I mentally steeled myself and along with some great advice from a fellow BT'er, focused only on the road in front of me and not the distance of the climb. A few of the faster females quickly passed me, but I noticed that no guys were passing me, which is always a good way to start things. At mile 2 I got passed by the ONLY guy that would pass me on the ride, I shall call him Mr. Bianchi. He seemed to be coasting at around 20mph on the flats, so I decided he'd be my pace bike for the day. A couple more girls passed me, who I recognized from last weekend, and from there on it was all about riding my race. I started hydrating properly and using the wonderful gel bot to get in some good nutrition. I recommend everyone buying a gel-bot, they are love.

The first few climbs were gradual but long, and I managed to stay in the middle cog up front. This made the subtle downhills perfect for pegging the 25-26mph range. I would catch up to Mr. B and then he'd lose me again on the uphills. Finally we caught the steep climb of the way out, and I began to wonder if my poor legs would make it to the end. That is where I began to feel my 2nd wind and started to just push like a mofo. I dropped into the bottom cog and never needed the granny gear. I just kept pushing my 90-97 cadence and the hills passed under me. Before I knew it I saw the mile 4 sign which told me that the worst climbing was over. A moment later I caught glimpse of the guy who would go on the win the whole thing, Matt Maxon.. damn is he fast!

On the flats I started to really push it and even more on the downhills, but what is suprising is that the gradual inclines began to fall prey to my consistent cadence and before I knew it I was pushing an incline at 17mph, which is faster than my average race pace from last weekend.

The road was dotted with volunteers who were there for our safety, but the cool thing about being a 280lb guy is that they always seem to cheer the loudest for me. It is as if they know that what I am doing is pushing me further than most would expect I can. That gives me more drive than any energy gel or drink ever could.

I hit the turnaround and smiled, because Mr. B was only a good 30-40 yards ahead. Down a nice decline and ZOOM past Mr. B, poor guy. He would catch me once more on the BEAST of the race, the awesome downhill that I loved on the way out, turned into a good solid mile hill on the way back. I nearly had to use granny gear, but I stayed one above it and never left my seat. I credit my strong legs for this, as most people spent a LOT of time out of the saddle.

My nutrition was still on point when I hit mile 10, and I knew then that I could repass Mr. B and maybe the girl off ahead of him. The girl up ahead had at least a good .25 mile lead on me, but some slight declines and straightaways took care of that. She was riding a single speed, so it stood no chance against the big cog. I found it on a flat and stayed in at, I blew by her less than a mile from the transition and went back to spinning at 95 cadence in a lower gear to prep my legs for the run (Thanks again BT'ers! I seem to be saying that a lot)

We rode back into the park and both I and my little single-speed demon were told to go on the wrong side of the mini-cones. So we both had to dodge back between the cones. I stopped and jumped off at the 'Get off your bikes here sign', whereas she had some trouble stopping and nearly overshot the transition area. I ran across the mat a couple seconds before her.

Practice hills more! I would love to come back next year and just HAMMER that course. I did went on the hills but it took so much out of my legs that I just didn't feel that I could go hardcore on the downhills. I never really coasted, but I didn't hammer either. Overall, amazing bike ride. I wish that Overall dropdown box had like a 'freaking awesome' option. Oh yeah, and learn to pee on the bike, I really had to pee still.

Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

My wife made a sign last night that said, "Don't forget your helmet. I'm proud of you, and I love you." If you read my last race report you'll notice I left T-2 with my helmet on, which gave me a GREAT T-2 time, haha. I took longer this time on purpose. I took off the helmet, put on my race belt (did that in T-1 last time), grabbed my polar bottle (filled with nummy orange gatorade) and I downed 3 endurolytes. Off I went!

Remember my sport beans that I left behind, I wanted a treat on the run. Not a big deal at all though. Maybe also have my endurolytes more accessible, because that little ziplock caused me some trouble. Damn technologically advanced things.
Run
  • 41m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I jogged out of the finish line area, and some random group of people screamed, "Go Josh.", so I guess I might have a fanclub who isn't my family eh? I got to the top of the incline and started to walk for a few minutes. My calves were cramping slightly. I knew that I had done everything right on nutrition and hydration, so after I got passed by the first group of fast runners who were on their way back, I started jogging. I jogged, and I jogged, and I jogged. I like to think I 'run', but really I jog.. or shuffle.. or waddle fast. However, last week I definately walked more than I jogged, this week I walked MAYBE .25 miles, and jogged the rest. This was just a remarkable improvement from last week.

As I jogged I noticed that a few people were still behind me! I resisted the temptation to get excited and told myself to run my race. After I got my mind right it didn't bother me when people passed me, in fact I was sure I was last at the turn-around, but I was still jogging. Low and behold an older gentleman is behind me. I knew by his pace and stride that he would catch me, but I didn't care. I took a couple of minutes to take joy in the fact that I had held off last place until after the turnaround.

He would pass me with .9 miles left to go, though he did slow down to cheer me on and talk about the nice weather we were having. I hope to god I'm that awesome when I'm 77. He took off and felt my body just relax. I knew I could jog the rest, and I knew I had beat my time from last week.

Apparently I was really relaxed, because I managed to go pee without breaking stride. Yes, I meant to, and I know it may sound gross, but I really wanted to beat my last week's time and I had to pee since back in the water (see above). I take that as a good sign that my run wasn't some insane slave-driving expedition, but more mind over matter. I kind of wished I had water to wash off with, but the finish line was close.

I finished my polar bottle of gatorade (nice and cool) with the finish line in sight. I picked up my pace as I heard Kathy Grady (my swim coach and the RD for this race) yell out my name over the speaker phone. I could hear the crowd at the finish line cheering! This was a MUCH bigger finish line crowd than last week.

The clock came into sight and it had a 1 on the front. I was in awe, then I saw the second number was a 4. I knew at that point that I had to leave it all out on the road, because if I could come in under 1:50 (2:00 was my goal) then I would just be ecstatic. I broke into full on sprint mode for at least the last .25 miles, and crossed the finish line at 1:47:44.

I stayed at the finish line to cheer on the one person left on the course. Yep, that is right. I DID NOT FINISH LAST! I'm already moving up in the rankings after only a single race. I felt like Rocky.

I really need to get more miles logged running, and I think as the weight continues to go down that will be easier.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down consisted of eating a couple of Monster cookies that Kathy made and listening to some awesome music at the awards celebration. I love going to those things, because I know one day that with enough hard work I can earn a medal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I feel that I performed to the best of my ability, which makes it an awesome race. You know, I wasn't last out of the water, I wasn't last on the bike, and my run is my weakest sport. So I feel like I'm making awesome progress already! My swim time per 100 is up from last week, avg mph on bike (on a harder course) is up, and my run time is down like crazy. I am just.. wow.

Event comments:

This was only my 2nd sprint triathlon, and it was the 1st Annual Wall Lake Sprint Tri. I hope they hold it every year because that would just be AWESOME. I love this course.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:32 | 450 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 59/63
Performance: Good
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Course was an out and back along a set of somewhat snaked buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:21
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:28 | 13 miles | 15.16 mile/hr
Overall: 58/63
Wind: Little
Course: When driving the course I would have called it steep climbs and screaming descents. After completing it, I'd call it steep climbs and mild descents. Definately the most challenging bike ride of the season.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:31 | 03.11 miles | 13m 21s  min/mile
Overall: 63/63
Course: Slightly incline run through the lake neighborhood that turns into a dirt road at .9 miles. Dirt until the turnaround, and then back. Seemed like it was pretty much always either a very slight incline or decline, never really flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-23 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Wall Lake Sprint Triathlon

2007-06-23 3:18 PM
in reply to: #857020

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Wall Lake Sprint Triathlon
As an addendum to the race report, I really want to give a huge thanks to my witer and sister without whom none of this would have been possible.
2007-06-23 4:15 PM
in reply to: #857033

South Elgin, IL
I just got home from the packet pickup/body marking for tomorrows tri and I figured I better get some last minute tips from BT so I was glad to come across your new race report. Rock on! Nice Time! That is too cool! Whats next for you?!!
I have to be up at 4am but my wave doesnt start til 8 am...transition closes at 645 so I will have some time to sit and mentally prepare for the race...or panic... ha ha. Im used to adventure racing on a 3 person team...not a great AR team, just ok, but at least there you can make up time on the orienteering course if youre head-smart and not as fast as others, plus, in AR you wear or carry all your gear with you at the same time...here I will have to think about what to take with me on each part!...plus AR is working as a team, not alone, so tomorrow is the moment of truth....just me and the course...hopefully under 2 hours. I gasped when I saw the million racks for the bikes today being set up in the transition area...its pouring today but will be nice tomorrow....here goes nothing!!!! Geez, I act like Im doing the Ironman! Im cracking myself up...Thanks Josh for the last minute tips.....
2007-06-23 4:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

CONGRATS!!!! I thought about you guys!!! When I was on my long run this morning!! You had about perfect weather!!!

ANyway keep it up!!!

Whats next???

GJ

2007-06-23 4:29 PM
in reply to: #857047

User image

Veteran
gj50 - 2007-06-23 4:16 PM

CONGRATS!!!! I thought about you guys!!! When I was on my long run this morning!! You had about perfect weather!!!

ANyway keep it up!!!

Whats next???

GJ

I had been considering Okoboji in July, but instead I MAY be waiting for my August 12th Sprint Tri in Spicer MN (Green Lake). I really want to get my weight down some more and keep doing Sprint distances as much as I can this season. It is really heads or tails at this point whether I pick up a July race or not. I am going to go back to training for 2-3 weeks and then decide on Okoboji, probably at the last minute.

Josh
2007-06-23 5:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Oooooh La La La!!! Fabulous racing there tri pal of mine! Way to ROCK that monster bike course!

2007-06-23 6:51 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Nice job - I had no idea you had a 2nd one so close after your first one...I waited 3 months after my first before I had the courage to try again!!!

You rock!!! Congrats on the not-last finish. I love reading your reports.

Kristen
2007-06-23 7:22 PM
in reply to: #857120

User image

Veteran
enders_shadow - 2007-06-23 6:51 PM

Nice job - I had no idea you had a 2nd one so close after your first one...I waited 3 months after my first before I had the courage to try again!!!

You rock!!! Congrats on the not-last finish. I love reading your reports.

Kristen

Thanks Kristen! I actually want to do another one next weekend, but the closest one is across the state and the wife gave me a big NO on that one.

2007-06-23 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

great RR...! loved how you used "don't want to injure myself" to get out of changing a flat tire - i think i'll use that on race eve's to get out of making dinner or doing laundry (don't want to pull a hammy) just kidding!

you did a great job and you are so good a pointing out the positives during your race... now you just need to post some pics and your RR's will be must-reads for me from now on!

2007-06-23 9:09 PM
in reply to: #857184

User image

Veteran
marymosc13 - 2007-06-23 8:42 PM

great RR...! loved how you used "don't want to injure myself" to get out of changing a flat tire - i think i'll use that on race eve's to get out of making dinner or doing laundry (don't want to pull a hammy) just kidding!

you did a great job and you are so good a pointing out the positives during your race... now you just need to post some pics and your RR's will be must-reads for me from now on!

The wife tends to get video happy on the digital camera, so I am going to be uploading those when I figure out how/where. In addition, I have some pics, but I just have to resize and upload.

Josh
2007-06-23 10:53 PM

User image

Congrats on another fine race Josh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the great work fun!!!!!!!

2007-06-24 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Updated some pics to the RR!
2007-06-26 1:33 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-30 8:04 AM

Dude,

Great race report.  congratulations for being a triathlete.  I am from Letcher SD, and now live in Wausau, WI.  It is great to see races in SD.  I should come back and do a race with ya.  Growing up in rural SD, running on the side of the road, people would stop and ask if you needed a ride.  I guess times have changed.  Keep up the great work, maybe next year, you can come to Wausau and do the tri here. 

Keep it up Dude.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wall Lake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed