United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 15s
Overall Rank = 2/600
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/60
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4:45, met some friends at a Park and Ride at 5:30, then drove to Georgetown for packet pickup. Road the bus up to Loveland ski area and ate my granola bars along the way.
Event warmup:

Light running of about half mile. Although the altitude doesn't affect me adversely, you can tell there's a great deal less oxygen as you are not able to run as quickly as you are at lower altitudes.
Run
  • 1h 20m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

New "comeback" PR. Slacker Half Marathon. Although I don't really know if I can consider it a true PR since we dropped 2200 feet. But this race is notorious for people trashing their quads from all the pounding, plus the entire race is at fairly high altitude which slows things down regardless of elevation drop. The temps at the start were a little cool but towards the end were really heating up.

While there were lots of down hill sections, I was surprised at how rolling the course was where you could lose time only to try to "make it up" as you go. It was a very good race as I was probably in 12th place at the mile and slowly but surely moved up, place by place, until I reached second. Again, I was slowly but surely, moving closer and closer to first and had there been another half mile I would have caught him without a doubt. I would say I was probably about 4 minutes or more behind him at the 7 mile mark since I could never see him at that point so I made up big time to catch everyone in front of me. Just missed first by 25 seconds.

It felt good because no one could respond as I was passing them. This year was the year for the masters. Four of the top five were over forty, although none of the fast guys from previous years were there to run.

Prior to the race I read and was told to take it smart on the downhills because by the time we reach Georgetown, our quads would be trashed. But for me, I just leaned over my stride, lengthened the stride a little longer than normal, and just attacked all the downhills, without spending much time on my feet at any one time. It felt as though most of my foot strikes were springy most of the way.

The last mile of the race winds through town and has some small rolling hills that really feel a great deal more difficult than they really are, after all that elevation drop. However I think I probably made up most of my time from first during this last mile because I just pushed as hard as I could.

At no time did I feel too fatigued or did my quads hurt. I did about a mile cool down afterwards that probably helped later.
What would you do differently?:

Not a great deal. I ran conservatively when I needed to and pushed it when it was appropriate.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran about a mile very easily and then did some good stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The high altitude of the course affected the performance to a point but the elevation drop helped. Even the altitude at the end of the race was over 8400 feet.

Event comments:

There were enough aid stations and the post race activities were pretty good but the mile markers weren't very well marked. The first mile was way long and some of the miles were way short, making it difficult to know exactly where you were. However, if I'm able to run the race next year, I will. Overall, it was a good race venue.

Last updated: 2007-06-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:20:15 | 13.1 miles | 06m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/60
Overall: 2/600
Performance: Good
Course: The highest half marathon course in the country - starting at the Loveland Ski area at an altitude of 10,630 feet, traveling down a rolling decent to Georgetown at an altitude of 8400 feet. The first 5 miles are down a rocky dirt, non-motorized road, the second 4.4 miles travel along a service road from Bakerville to Silverplume, then follows a bike path down into Georgetown, where the last mile meanders along the roads of town, both hilly dirt and paved.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-23 10:54 PM

Subject: Slacker Half Marathon

2007-06-24 5:27 PM
in reply to: #857243

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Slacker Half Marathon

Congrats on the comeback PR!  Hopefully your quads don't hurt tomorrow either   Mighty fast....

2007-06-24 10:38 PM
in reply to: #857702

COgirl - 2007-06-24 5:27 PM

Congrats on the comeback PR! Hopefully your quads don't hurt tomorrow either Mighty fast....

Thanks Cathy!

So far, the quads feel great, only a little soreness at the top/sides of my glutes...and that's all.

It looks like things are really falling into place for you too!
2007-06-27 3:55 PM
in reply to: #857243

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Nice Job... I did that race 3 years ago... I wish you would have given me the heads up on it. I would have raced. Damn. I'm so not in the loop. But hey, you kicked butt! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Slacker Half Marathon Rss Feed