General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim technique question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-23 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: Swim technique question

OK fishies, please help me out here.

I'm working on getting a better swim stroke, I've only been swimming for a year, more or less, and I'm beginning to feel some changes in the way I swim. I hope they are for the better. what I'm working on now is getting a glide going. Currently I'm doing about 19-20 strokes per 25 yards, and my best 100 is 1:37. I want to get better. I've been doing catch-up drills, but when I try to "actually swim" I feel like all that drilling goes out the window. How long is it going to take to get some noticable improvement in my speed?

I realize that this is sort of a rambling question, but I'd appreciate any help that might be offered.

thnx

2004-09-23 9:48 AM
in reply to: #65515

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: Swim technique question
I think your stroke count and your 100 yd time look great. Think back to your starting point one year ago. If you're like many of us, it was much more of a struggle than it is now. No doubt you've made tremendous strides. At your level now, improvements will lead to more fish-like swimming, lower stroke counts and and even faster times, but they will likely come in smaller increments. Your hard work and persistence will pay off, but it would be difficult to mail down a time frame. Good work this year!
2004-09-23 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
MD
I like this article by Rich Strauss (http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/swimtechnique1.htm) because it provides a framework in which you focus on technique and velocity - his concept of 'swim golf' combines technique with speed, and provides a slightly more fun and interesting way to structure a swim workout.

to paraphrase the article - below is my favorite excerpt - keep on working on the technique. What you think of as 'actually swimming' is probably exactly what you should not be doing.

"So until you can beat 13 year-old Rich Strauss, braces, coke bottle glasses, sailor suit and all, your time in the pool is much better spent learning how to freakin' swim. The bench mark I'll give you is about 24:00 for a 1500. That is about what a below average USS 13 year-old boy with a decent stroke can do. Until you beat that skinny little kid, a large portion of your pool time should be spent in stroke improvement. This speed is probably 80% technique and 20% fitness."

2004-09-23 10:24 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
i agree that your stroke count and time are pretty darn good! you should be proud that you're doing so well after just a year of swimming. even though i was already a pretty good swimmer, i decided to work with a TI coach. it was a worthwhile investment. reading about technique is one thing, but having someone who knows what to watch for is wonderful.
2004-09-23 10:35 AM

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I have a friend who is a swimmer, and he keeps telling me the only way I will improve is with a coach. One of these days I will actually make it to 5am practice and talk to a coach. I think I might spring for a TI session before next spring, sounds like a good investment, just thinking about how much I spend to have a pool membership and all the equipment and racing, I might as well get the most out of it by spending a little more. I have been reading TI and making my own technique out of it, sort of... I started making my shoulders come up to cover my ear when I reach and am waiting until my hand is by my arpit to begin the ather arm stroking and it made a huge improvement, when I concentrate and do that, my 25m count is 16, when I don't do that, it is sometimes up to 20.
2004-09-23 4:06 PM

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Go to your local Y or health club and see if they have some hand paddles that you can use or borrow. Use these for 500 yards at the beginning of your workout. This will help you get the feel of the water and better understanding of how your hands should be placed. you don't want to workout with them for too long. Just get the feeling into your hands and your head

2004-09-23 11:12 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

WOW Ride_it, your stroke count has me green with envy.  I was just discussing this w/my husband a few minutes ago (really!) and mine is 25 in a 25 yd pool.  My time is around a minute though, as timed this morning.   I too have been trying to get the "glide" down.  An aquaintance loaned me the TI videos ( I think there were 2) a long time ago and I watche dbut didn't really understand what I was looking for.  He still takes my spin class so I might see if he'll let me borrow them again.

Unfortunatley, a coach is out of the question for me.  I do know a few good swimmers though, and one offerred to give me pointers, in fact he already gave me one good one which was to bring my elbow up high when reaching forward, it would help turn my body more.  It's not an ingrained habit yet, but I am trying. 

2004-09-25 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Sorry for the late post.

I have a few ideas that might be helpful. Have you ever used pull-bouys, y'know the floatable foam devices you can insert between your legs? This item will FORCE you to pull through the water faster...thus increasing your turnover and speed.

Another idea, well, more of a question: at what point do you breathe? A common problem I see with newbie swimmers is that they breathe at the wrong point of their stroke. You want to turn and breathe when your arm is just STARTING to pull through the water. NOT when it's coming out of the water. When you breathe late you are essentially developing a "hitch" in your stroke. By correcting this error you can drop 3-5 seconds off your 100 time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim technique question Rss Feed