MMBA
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m
Overall Rank = 4/6
Age Group = masters
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Hubby's race started at 10, the kids at noon, and my race at 1 p.m. So I had several hours of standing around and cheering. I uploaded 2 pictures from the kids race - one if of my 8-yr old son leading his 10-yr old sister up the first hill. The 2nd picture is of me holding another woman's child. She was struggling to push her 4 year old up the hill while holding this hefty 2-yr old on her hip. So I volunteered to take the little one. This photo is of me telling my hubby that I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER ONE!! At about 12:30 I announced to my hubby that I was off Mom duty, and then I rode some easy trails to warm up.

I probably should have eaten more, but I didn't want anything heavy. I did a shot block, lots of water, and a little gatorade.
Bike
  • 1h 37m
  • 8.2 miles
  • 5.07 mile/hr
Comments:

There were only 6 women (Maybe 40 men??) In the first 15 minutes I must have fallen 6 times and got pretty banged up. I really hit my knee hard on my stem and it hurt! I even said some naughty words for the world to hear. I was trying too hard to keep with the pack. So, I finally just stopped for a moment, controlled my breathing and set off at a better pace for me. I was in solid last place (for women) at the end of the first lap. I was not happy and feeling sorry for myself. But on the second lap, I started picking up people - they were fading 'cause it is a hard race. I passed a junior guy, and he looked a bit listless as he was pushing up a hill. I made sure he wasn't dehydrated - I told him to drink MORE, and then I left him. I passed one woman and I greeted her. She grunted in return - I think she was having a hard time. Then when I caught up to the next woman, we chatted for about 10 minutes as we rode together. She was worn out too, so I finally left her. About 6 people dropped out with mechanical problems/flats.

It is good just to finish this race.

2 race pictures - they never do it justice. One is of me riding the flats near the finish with son cheering me. The other is of a team mate about to go over a nasty drop - note the off-camber roots at the bottom. I didn't ride this one!
What would you do differently?:

Well, I rode 30 miles yesterday. I knew that was bad for today's race, but I was feeling behind in my bike training and it was the only opportunity for a longish ride. I didn't feel like my legs had much power today.
Post race
Warm down:

Clean off the mud and blood from my legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight, my fear of falling.

Event comments:

This race is both part of the Maine Mountain Bike Series and the EFTA series, so it pulls in some great riders! They make it look so darn easy, and then I come lumbering along, bouncing all over the place....

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-06-20 12:00 AM
Biking
01:37:00 | 08.2 miles | 5.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 0/6
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: VERY technical.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-24 7:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: Clifford Park Assault

2007-06-25 8:14 AM
in reply to: #857834

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Clifford Park Assault

Wow... what a tough race!  Good job passing people

Great weather for everyone to race.  You've got a competitive family. 

2007-06-25 10:37 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Good job racing your own race, sounds pretty rad! That is a big two yr old!
2007-06-26 2:48 PM

User image

I know the pain of off road so you did great. I have done a few endo's in my time and know how tough off road is.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clifford Park Assault Rss Feed