United States
City of Pflugerville, Jack and Adams Bicycles
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 54s
Overall Rank = 231/311
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/26
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:40AM, brewed coffee, took a quick shower, ate a toasted wheat english muffin with peanut butter, milled around making sure I had everything I needed.
Event warmup:

Got in the lake for a quick 5-10 minute swim. It was the first time I had been in water with my new tri suit, I likened the feeling to being hugged.
Swim
  • 12m 37s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt the butterflies in the belly. Right before we started I turned around and realized that I was in the front, to the right but definitely in the front. The bumping of bodies wasn't so bad, I was able to draft a few girls. The whole following the bubbles thing is actually pretty neat. Getting to the turn around seemed to go really fast and then the home stretch was a bit slow. My ankle got grabbed but I shook it off.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on siting in open water and swimming in a somewhat straight line.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

I felt very disoriented like I was forgetting something.

Practice more!
Bike
  • 47m 23s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 16.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt really good, I pushed it hard and steady. I am really proud of my ranking for the bike.

Remember to close my quick release lever! I had to get off my bike on the course and close it which cost me some time. Then my right shoelaces came untied and I had to ride carefully to not get them shredded.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

I made the rookie mistake of not being able to find my rack! Wasted probably 30 seconds trying to find it. Took off my helmet, pulled my shirt on, grabbed race belt and was off!

Find my rack!
Not put my shirt on backwards!

Run
  • 35m 24s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Woo the run was hard! The second I started running I wanted to puke. I was plodding along and had to walk/jog/walk/jog it to the very end.

Be better prepared for the run. I really need to work on this. My swim and bike was great but my run slammed me hard. Everyone was passing me, everyone :)
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with family and a friend. Drank some water, took some photos, headed for breakfast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of brick training, and my run pace. Also making some mistakes along the way, oh well definitely learned.

Last updated: 2007-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:37 | 547 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/26
Overall: 165/311
Performance:
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Triangle course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:23 | 13.2 miles | 16.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/26
Overall: 164/311
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Square course with some rough roads and a nice flat open road near the end.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:24 | 03 miles | 11m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/26
Overall: 279/311
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-24 8:48 PM

Austin, TX
Subject: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon

2007-06-25 7:16 AM
in reply to: #857927

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon
You did very VERY well for your first race, and yeah, bricks SUCK! You should be very proud and very pleased with your first race. Really nice swim and bike.  The run will come in time - just keep plugging at it. I hope you're hooked on tris now! You go girl!
2007-06-25 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas

Great job triathlete!  Get used to that because you are now a triathlete.  Don't worry about the run, just keep running a bit after every time you ride, even if it's for 5-10 minutes.  The bad feeling never really goes away, you just get used to it

Congradulations April!

2007-06-25 9:11 PM

Regular
Austin, Texas
Great job April!!!!

Sorry I never saw you, but you were always in front of me I was able to talk to Kat while we waited in our wave start and she told me she had seen and talked to you. I saw Mike a few times in Transition before the race and when he WIZZED past me on the bike.

The first time Bonni and I did a Brick we both wanted to puke. The way I've trained for this is to bike, then walk for several (3-5) minutes before I start running (if what I do can really be called "running"). I don't know, I still ran out of T2 but was walking before I crossed the bridge. Legs were all noodles.

Hope to see you at another training session or Tri soon!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Pflugerville Triathlon Rss Feed