United States
TriMinnesota Series
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 17s
Overall Rank = 105/242
Age Group = 36-44
Age Group Rank = 32/53
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am, quick shower and bathroom duties. Left for race at 5:45 after having 1 can Slimfast and had 1 egg "mcmuffin" with for the road. Arrived at race site at 6:30 and set-up. Had one hammer gel and sipped water until start.
Event warmup:

Got there early and got a good spot on the end of the rack, which was good as the racks were filled early and some people had to go without racking their bikes. Nathan and I did a 10 minute warm-up on the bike.
Swim
  • 09m 2s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got stuck behind slower swimmers until the first of three turns. Had guys stacked up beside me and another switching between breast and freestyle directly in front of me. Once I rounded the first turn I was able to go inside of the congestion and get open water. Felt much better after that.
What would you do differently?:

Get near the front for the start.
Transition 1
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Transition went really well. I took an extra breath and sip of water while there. Felt my heart was racing after swim and needed the breath to slow it down.

Nothing
Bike
  • 40m 21s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Ride went really well other than the chain incident. I felt rather winded at the crest of the hill, but spun it out and felt good after about 100 yds. Still seemed to lose some time carrying my weight up the hills, but really strong on flats and downhills. Bike computer said I averaged 20.2mph and hit 39.9mph max. Will have to check it for accuracy as the figures are better than the actual race data.

I had my bike checked out the day before as I wanted the rear shifting gone through and tweaked. Since I bought the bike I have never had a problem with the front derailer until race day. Also need to work on sustaining speed on the bike. Goal is to stay above 20mph consistantly.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Had to rerack the bike three times. the first time my quick release was against the upright and tilted the whole rack (thankfully no other bikes fell). The second time I missed the rack with one brake lever. The third time I got it right. I took a couple extra breaths and long swig of water.

Smoother racking of the bike.
Run
  • 37m 26s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Still my nemesis. I started to struggle a bit by mile two. I then started the Jedi mind tricks and kept telling myself that all my struggles were merely mental and physically I had no reason to walk. I walked for 1 minute at the first drink station, 30seconds at the second and just a couple at the third. I had a great finish, out sprinting two individuals in the last 200 yds, passing one at the finish line.

I need to learn how to sustain speed for distance, not that I have much speed for a short distance. Speed on the run is my downfall, and need to improve that in order to be competitive. Losing more weight and more focus on run training will bring about improvements.
Post race
Warm down:

Gasp for air for a few minutes then had a couple orange slices, banana, Powerade, and lots of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run Run Run Run

I did cut 11 minutes off of last year's time. An 8% improvement.

Event comments:

Not too bad of race. They were a little overwhelmed by the numbers that showed up. Not enough racks for all the bikes

Last updated: 2007-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:02 | 440 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/53
Overall: 82/242
Performance: Average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:21 | 13 miles | 19.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/53
Overall: 47/242
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Huge hill about 1 mile in. I was told it was a 400+ ft climb over 1.12 miles at a 5% grade. Chain fell of the front when shifting to small ring at the bottom. Felt like 15 guys passed me in the less than 30secs. it took to put it back on and get moving.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:26 | 04 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 48/53
Overall: 185/242
Performance: Below average
Course: rolling hills start on a soft trail for a couple 100 yds then road the rest of the way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-24 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
Subject: North Mankato Triathlon

2007-06-25 8:08 AM
in reply to: #857987

User image

Regular
Central Minnesota
Subject: RE: North Mankato Triathlon
Good Job! Great recovery from the dropped chain!

My bike computer had the bike at 13.7 miles, so I think the official results will be off a bit.
2007-06-25 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
Thanks for that update. I checked my computer and it was right around 13.75 miles also, I
m not sure of the exact as I did a very short ride when getting home last night. Nathane and I were also questioning the accuracy of the swim. Both our swim times seemed pretty slow relative to our averages. Could have something to do with them putting the bouys in with a guy on the shore with a phone telling them where to put it by, "little more to the right, ok, right about there." Looked as though they simply eyeballed the swim course. Obviously they weren't using GPS or anything like that. Oh well. We're all out there to have fun a compete against ourselves and I did both, having a great time, getting to watch "freckleface" run by me, and cut 11 minutes off of last year's time. Great day.
2007-06-25 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
Oops. Double post. disregard.

Edited by ImTriing 2007-06-25 3:21 PM
2007-06-25 6:19 PM

User image

Elite
I didn't want to wine about distances again, I did that a few weeks ago.  But I completely agree with you guys.  My bike computer had the ride at 13.7 miles also.  In addition I thought I had a pretty good swim and my times seemed pretty slow.  We may have talked b.t.w.  I was standing pretty close to the guy on the radio telling the guy the buoy was in the right place and made a comment about it to someone standing next to me.
2007-06-26 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Nice bike speed! Nice to see your name at the top of the 35-39 AG in the series.

2007-06-26 2:36 PM

Veteran
North Dakota
Great job on your race this weekend!! Thanks also for letting me stay with you and your family in Owatonna. With your chain falling off, you still did awesome!! Keep working hard on your run and I know you'll get faster soon.
2007-06-26 11:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Nice race!  Good recovery from the chain problem.  Huge improvement from last year is impressive.  Keep working on the run and the times will continue to drop.  After reading these race reports I find both the swim distance and the bike distance were long.  Should make us all feel better about our times.  
2007-06-27 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Way to recover! Sounds like you had a good rest of the race
2007-06-27 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
I try to never make changes to my bike setup inside of a week from race day. I think the worst thing one could do is have the mechanic at the race site make tweeks the morning of the race.

Get the bike tuned a week and a half to two weeks prior to race day so that any bugs will be found before race day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Mankato Triathlon Rss Feed