Mankato, Minnesota
United States
TriMinnesota Series
Total Time = 1h 20m 22s
Overall Rank = 46/242
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 2/31
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am and drive to the race. Soren came with me, this was the his first time coming to a triathlon.
By the time I got to the transition area, there was almost NO room for bikes. All the racks were packed! I found a spot way in the back, it was pretty close quarters. A few people had to lean their bikes up against trees & stuff! Some woman two bikes down from me, wearing an ironman visor, tried to get me to move other peoples' bikes so she could have more room. I was like "um, no, I'm not going to touch their bikes." I wasn't about to mess anyone else's stuff up... it was crowded, get over it. Then I hear her talking to another racer about a different race she was at where there was a bike rack space problem, and she was saying "and some girl with a MOUNTAIN BIKE tried to come over and move my stuff down to make room for hers! I was like 'what the HELL are you doing?' I have been doing this for years, don't even try to take my space!" And that just really pissed me off b/c she was acting so high and mighty, like she was the greatest triathlete to ever exist and someone with a mountain bike in a race was so beneath her. I hate people like that. I was once the girl with cage pedals and sneakers on the bike. Anyway, I kicked her ass in the race, so HA. She's obviously not so great after all.
Event warmup:

I couldn't decide whether to wear my wetsuit or not. I kept going back and forth about it and before I knew it I had to go down to the water and get ready. Soren high-fived me and promised he'd scream really loud for me. I went down to the water to watch the first two heats, men 35 and under and men 36 and over, repsectively, go out first.
Swim
  • 06m 42s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a pretty good swim for me. I decided to wear my wetsuit... I think I would have been better off not wearing it b/c the water wasn't cold and I lost some time getting it off in transition. But oh well, at least I had some buoyancy.
So we started on the beach and had to run into the water. That was sort of fun, I've never done a run-in swim before. I felt all Bay-Watchy.
My swim felt good and I got out in the front of everyone pretty quickly. My breathing started to get a bit erratic when I was catching up to the group of men that started before us- instead of swimming in a straight line with no obstacles, I had to dodge other swimmers and that threw off my breathing.
The swim was over before I even knew it, and I was running up the hill to transition.

Oh, I was 10th in the entire race for swim time. Not bad!
What would you do differently?:

Not wear my wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

As I was running up the hill, a woman passed me and I thought "dang it!" but then just tried to hustle more into T1. My wetsuit came off relativley quickly. Tranistion went pretty well, but once again I had trouble clipping in when I got on my bike. I've had the problem before and I think it's nerves from rushing.

Get a better spot in the transition area. Clip in smoothly!
Bike
  • 41m 15s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.91 mile/hr
Comments:

That gigantic hill that I was warned about certainly was pretty big. I felt like I was going soooo slowwww. I just tried to spin and keep moving. I saw Brian on the hill and that was a nice boost. Quite a few people, both men & women, passed me on the hill- I'd say 10-15. Yikes!
Finally it was over, and from there it was a pretty straight shot to the turn around area. I had decided before the race that I would try to go fast on the bike and not worry about my run (since I wasn't expecting anything great b/c of the marathon last weekend). Well, I only remembered this about half way through the race. I always just kind of settle into a pace that feels good and never really bust my ass on the bike. So I started to pick it up and I was feeling pretty good but I don't think that my extra effort really made much of a difference.

I was the second woman out of T1 (Lynette Bacon was in front of me, of course) but I ended up falling to TENTH coming into T2. I think this illustrates how important bike speed is and how much work I still have to do.

Get faster on the bike!
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

My bike dismount was kind of ugly. I unstrapped while on the bike, but the dismount itself was wretched. Getting my shoes on was okay, I used the new yank laces. They worked well but the tongue on my shoe was bunched up for my run. Anyway, this was a pretty unremarkable transition. I just need to do things faster.

Just get faster!
Run
  • 30m 49s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs didn't feel so hot coming off of the bike. I tried to focus on keeping my cadence up and my form right. My legs were tired. I knew that I shouldn't expect a really great run split but I still wanted to have a respectable time. I just felt like I couldn't get my legs to really MOVE the whole time.
I was suprised to see a guy in a BT top while I was running. Said hello to him, turns out he's ImTriing. It's always great to see BTers out there!
Along the course there were people sitting outside their homes cheering, and they were really great. I made sure to yell thanks to them as I passed. There were a few water stops and I grabbed water and two of them. My head started to feel kind of squashed as I heated up so I dumped water on me to cool down.
I passed more people than passed me, but I was passed by a couple men on the run. There was one woman in front of me from the start that I tried to catch, but my legs just weren't moving enough and she pulled ahead in the first mile.
I passed one guy who was puking on the side of the road with a mile to go. Gross. I tried to pick it up in the final stretch and finished strong, at least it felt strong to me. I could have pushed harder and although I would have been in pain, I would have ran faster. It made me think of the first outdoor tri I did this season- I had a phenominal run split and the entire time I was running I was thinking "I want to walk. This hurts, this is terrible, please please let this be over soon." Running fast means it won't feel great: it will hurt. So for my next sprint, I will need to run past my comfort level if I want to see a better run split. Same goes for the bike.

I feel okay with my performance. Experience is always good, even if I didn't compete as well as I'd like. Next time I will push past my comfort level.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, lots of water! I was parched.
Saw Brian & Kelly after the race so I talked to them for a bit. Saw the results, realized there was a girl in my AG only 30 seconds behind me. Her run split was wicked fast. I'm lucky she didn't catch me!
Stuck around for the awards ceremony and then went back to Richfield to sleep. Once I got home I slept for five hours! It was glorious.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The marathon the weekend before was a big factor, but also I think I raced in my comfort mode instead of really trying to go fast. Next time I will be striving to be going hard enough for it to hurt the whole time.
Oh, and let's not forget that I was drunk as a skunk Friday night and stayed up until all hours of the night bidding a friend farewell. That might have affect my performance a bit too.

Event comments:

This was a fun race. I really liked the swim course-- I just wish it were longer so I could have built up more of a lead!
Besides that monster hill, the bike course was great too. And the run course was good. Basically a good course all around. Volunteers were great. Only things that were sub par were the lack of bike racks and the long wait for packet pick up. I'd definitely do this race again.

Last updated: 2007-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:42 | 440 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/31
Overall: 2/242
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:15 | 13 miles | 18.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/31
Overall: 10/242
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Out and back with one MASSIVE hill at the beginning.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:49 | 04 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/31
Overall: 20/242
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Subject: North Mankato Triathlon

2007-06-25 10:13 AM
in reply to: #858596

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: North Mankato Triathlon
Congratulations Bridget, you are wicked fast. I think your bike times are really strong, but I'm sure you'll improve on those now that you've made them a focus. I loved this course and thought going down the hill was really fun (but scary).

Good luck at the next race, it was nice seeing you.

Kelly

PS: Cute boy you had cheering you on.
2007-06-25 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Sweet race! You rocked that swim and I'm glad you kicked that lady's a$$! Lay off the marathons and you'll rock the runs as well! Keep up the good work!
2007-06-25 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Great job in the race.  Like you have found out, sprint races really are all about feeling uncomforatable and pushing hard, becasue they will be over quickly.

Great job kicking the crabby Biatch's (from the Transition area) a$$!!

2007-06-25 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
As usual, nice job!!
2007-06-25 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN

Great job!  I am taking the same "race outside your comfort zone" approach this year and it certainly changes things - but it's amazing what you can do when you push it!  And heck, if you race like this IN your comfort zone, Lynette better look out when you push beyond it!

And for the record, I was MOVED by one of those women in transition last year at HOLT...and I wasn't riding a mountain bike, either!  I have never been so irritated in a race...I've learned that lesson and it will not happen again!

2007-06-25 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
AWESOME race! You kicked out there, and had an awesome run time even with a marathon LAST WEEKEND! Great job, and way to show that woman who rocks
2007-06-25 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY

GREAT JOB!  Considering you just came off of a mary last weekend I think you did awesome.  I think my legs would not want to move either. 

2007-06-25 3:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
Great to meet you this past weekend even though it was the fleeting moment as you whipped past me on the run. I thought you liked very strong on the run, and now I find out you did a marathon last weekend. Now I know I need to work on my run speed. Hee Hee Great Job!!! I'm happy to hear you kicked the "Ironman" ladies a$$. During the pre-race I had a group of about 4 women standing around my transition spot that spent the better part of the morning complaining about various things. I can't understand why a person would be there if they were soooooooo unhappy. It is uplifting to know that they are the minority in our sport. Triathlon athletes rule, with their positive, uplifting and respectful attitudes. Unfortunately some people have to show us how great the others really are.

Great work this weekend, and we will have to meet up some time where I get to see more than just your back side (not that I'm complaining) .
2007-06-25 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Wow - nice job this weekend, especially coming off a marathon!
2007-06-26 7:33 AM

User image

Elite
Way to go out there Bridgit.  It's always nice when you can bring along some built in fan support in a race isn't it.

2007-06-26 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

congrats on a great race!

the drinkin' and marathonin' were factors, but i hear you about needing to push more. its not always easy to make yourself feel uncomfortable on purpose.

2007-06-26 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Top ten overall swim time! Way to go!
2007-06-26 2:26 PM

Veteran
North Dakota
Great job on your race this weekend!! Maybe in St. Cloud we'll have to try and meet up. Your times though are amazing!! I thought my tranisition time of 1:39 total was awesome but you take transitions to a new level. Great job on your race once again and good luck with your upcoming races and training!!
2007-06-26 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Awesome race. 
2007-06-26 11:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Great job, especially that awesome swim time!  I've decided I need to go harder at sprint distances, too.  Push harder on the bike, gut out the run, trust your training. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Mankato Triathlon Rss Feed