General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner question on the "other stuff" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-25 12:03 PM

New user

Subject: Beginner question on the "other stuff"
There's a good bit of info on training and diet, which I've got down well enough for my sprint Tri in July. Also for the record, I'm just looking to finish with my daughter, and placing is irrelavant.

However I have questions on the following (for sprint triathlons):
1) are road-prepped mountainbikes allowed typically?
2) if they list a race time of 8AM, should I be there early to get info and whatnot?
3) Is there a race meeting to discuss the corse, where to put bike gear, and so on? For that matter, who watches the bikes after transtitioning to the run?
4) I'm planning on just wearing neoprine bike shorts for the swim so I didn't have to switch out for the bike. Is this a good/bad idea, and should I be wearing underware? Hey, I have to ask

If anyone has reference articles on race day expectations, please let me know.

Thanks everone.

2007-06-25 12:08 PM
in reply to: #858870

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: RE: Beginner question on the "other stuff"

e

leifashley - 2007-06-25 12:03 PM There's a good bit of info on training and diet, which I've got down well enough for my sprint Tri in July. Also for the record, I'm just looking to finish with my daughter, and placing is irrelavant. However I have questions on the following (for sprint triathlons): 1) are road-prepped mountainbikes allowed typically? 2) if they list a race time of 8AM, should I be there early to get info and whatnot? 3) Is there a race meeting to discuss the corse, where to put bike gear, and so on? For that matter, who watches the bikes after transtitioning to the run? 4) I'm planning on just wearing neoprine bike shorts for the swim so I didn't have to switch out for the bike. Is this a good/bad idea, and should I be wearing underware? Hey, I have to ask If anyone has reference articles on race day expectations, please let me know. Thanks everone.

Hi and welcome to BT and Triathlon!

1. Yes, you can ride a MTB, by "road-prepped " I guess you me3an slick tires? You dont have to swap tires but it will help

2. Find out what time transition area opens up, be there early enough to set up you transition area. Most races will let you set up 1-2 hours before the race.

3. Yes, there should be a pre-race meeting. There should be volunteers watching the bikes.

4. If you have trained in neoprine bike shorts, then wear them for the race. A better idea would be "tri specific" shorts, with a thin chami (you will thank me later). Go CAMANDO (no underware).

You should get an info pack when you go to Packet Pickup with race#'s, swim cap & info about what time to be there. otherwise, ask someone at packet pickup or email the race director.

*chances are you will not get to start or finish with your daughter. Most races have starts based on gendor/age group/swim time.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by Freeswimmingfish 2007-06-25 12:22 PM
2007-06-25 12:19 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Welcome to BT!

1. Yes

2. Most will suggest getting there as early as you can to get a good spot in transition and to have time to prepare. Typically they will let you know when transition opens (like 5:30 a.m. or what not). You'll want lots of time to set up all of your stuff, organize it, mentally go through the transitions, potty (!), get body marked, get your timing chip, etc. I'd rather be WAY early than run the risk of getting there late and not being able to start.

3. Each race is different. I'd suggest looking at the web site if it exists, usually they have that type of information listed there.

4. Do NOT wear undies! Tri Shorts are typically recommended, as they have some padding for the bike, but it dries quickly after the swim and doesn't get in your way for the swim or run.

Good questions, don't be afraid to ask more!

Edited by lisac957 2007-06-25 12:20 PM
2007-06-25 12:19 PM

User image

Elite

Check out the articles section of the board, there are dozens of various articles about race-day and prep for the first-timer.

1.  Yes.  In some cases there are even divisions specifically for them (usually called fat tire).

2.  I get to the site between 1:30 ande 1:15 before the gun

3a.  Sometimes, it will be mentioned on the race site.

3b.  Race volunteers/Nobody depending on the race.  A lot of the bigger races close transition and let no one in but racers.  Bikes have walked off before, but it's fairly rare to have stuff stolen.

4.  You can do searches for long talks on this topic (what to wear), but all-in-all you should be fine.  And no, you don't wear underwear w/ bike shorts.

bts

Edit: P.S. In case you were wondering, Lisa types faster than meCry.  I talke solice in the fact that I can deadlift slightly more than she can Cool

Edited by Brett 2007-06-25 12:21 PM
2007-06-25 12:24 PM

New user

5:30AM? Gads I feel like I'm back in the military. Well I guess I need to book a room down there ASAP. There's no way I'm driving 2 hours to get there at 5:30AM

Thanks to everone on the info. That clears up most of the questions, and best I can tell, there's no web site for this one.

Time to make a shopping list...
2007-06-25 12:29 PM

User image

Houston, TX

1.  yes, you will see lots of mtb's

2.  you will need to be at the race site by about 0630 at the latest for an 8am start

3.  the time you gave yourself in #2 is the time you take to set up your transition area and listen to the pre-race meeting.  your transition area will contain everything you need for the race.  its your responsibility to bring it to the race site, to set it up, and to have what you need.   volunteers will be patrolling the TA to make sure your bikeis racked correctly and that you don't encroach on other participants area.  you won't have much so don't bring a huge backpack full of gear.

4.  you need a pair of trishorts to complete the entire race in.  there is no changing area and they don't allow you to get naked in public. 

do a search there should be lots of articles on what to expect on your first tri.

2007-06-25 12:32 PM
in reply to: #858906

New user

Brett - 2007-06-25 1:19 PM

P.S. In case you were wondering, Lisa types faster than meCry.  I talke solice in the fact that I can deadlift slightly more than she can Cool

lol... it's all good.

As for the bike, it won't matter much as it'll be a Wal-Mart special. :P

2007-06-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: #858906

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Brett - 2007-06-25 12:19 PM

Edit: P.S. In case you were wondering, Lisa types faster than meCry.  I talke solice in the fact that I can deadlift slightly more than she can Cool

Yet another example of how weightlifting does nothing to help your speed.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner question on the "other stuff" Rss Feed