Canadian Triathlon Forum Saskatchewan » See Jane Tri Coverage in Regina Leader Post Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-25 12:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: See Jane Tri Coverage in Regina Leader Post

Hoffort back on track after "bump" in road

Heather Polischuck, Leader-Post

Published: Monday, June 25, 2007

Loralie Hoffort has come a long way - even farther than the approximate 14 kilometres she ran, swam and biked on Sunday.
Last September, the longtime runner and triathlete was diagnosed with breast cancer and spent the following months undergoing surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. In April, Hoffort celebrated her 40th birthday and wrapped up her cancer treatments, signalling the start to a new leg of her life.
On Sunday, she joined 111 other Regina and area athletes at Wascana Centre for the annual See Jane Tri race, an all-women triathlon that is now in it's fifth year.
"It just feels like I'm back," said Hoffort after completing the marathon. "I'm through just a bit of a bump in the road and it just gives me the strength and the will to just want to keep moving forward. It's just a milestone and that's how I deal with the uncertainty and what not. I just set goals for myself and work towards them and that's what it's all about."
This year, the event held more than one special meaning for Hoffort. Not only did it mark her first official race since she was diagnosed last fall, but money raised at the event will be going to the Canadian Cancer Society to aid in breast cancer research.
Both the marathon itself and the idea to donate money this year were the ideas of race director - and Hoffort's good friend - Shelley MacKenzie. MacKenzie started the event five years ago as a way to get more women involved in triathlon competitions, and while it's never been able to raise money before, this year seemed like the time to try, MacKenzie said.
"I don't think there's anyone who's not affected by breast cancer," she said. "All of us know someone, cousins, friends, mothers, sisters. Everyone has to do something, do their part, and this way women get to come out, have a great first-time triathlon and they're doing something for a really good cause, donating money for breast cancer and raising awareness for it."
This year, MacKenzie added an extra $15 onto the 112 participants' race entry fees, with that $1,680 going to breast cancer research.
That means a lot to Hoffort, who credits family and friends like MacKenzie for helping her get through her ordeal this winter.
"It was a challenging winter, but I kept my focus on the good things in our life that we're blessed with and this and friends and family helped me get there, and just the desire to get out and get my fitness back," she said. "You've just got to live. Life has no guarantees, so we've just got to enjoy every moment."
Hoffort, who completed the grueling Ironman Triathlon in 2005, said she felt "wonderful" after completing Sunday's race, in which she swam 300 yards, biked 12 km and ran 3.3 km. She said she hopes to next take part in the Queen City Marathon in the fall as she continues building up her fitness levels.
"It's not easy, but you've got to start somewhere, and it's coming," she said.

2007-07-03 11:29 PM
in reply to: #858948

User image

Subject: RE: See Jane Tri Coverage in Regina Leader Post
Thanks for posting this. I love the great coverage the Leader Post gives to events in Regina. (We have something to learn here in Saskatoon.)

But... please explain the difference between a "triathlon" and a "marathon" to the author and/or editor...

2007-07-04 2:50 PM
in reply to: #871545

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

amg - 2007-07-03 10:29 PM Thanks for posting this. I love the great coverage the Leader Post gives to events in Regina. (We have something to learn here in Saskatoon.) But... please explain the difference between a "triathlon" and a "marathon" to the author and/or editor...

I'll do my best, but remember the Star Phoenix made reference to a "half triathlon" when describing the Sprint at Pike Lake. 

2007-07-07 10:21 PM
in reply to: #871965

User image

windnsnow - 2007-07-04 1:50 PM

amg - 2007-07-03 10:29 PM Thanks for posting this. I love the great coverage the Leader Post gives to events in Regina. (We have something to learn here in Saskatoon.) But... please explain the difference between a "triathlon" and a "marathon" to the author and/or editor...

I'll do my best, but remember the Star Phoenix made reference to a "half triathlon" when describing the Sprint at Pike Lake.

Yes - good point! Let us know what the LP has to say about Regina Beach.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Saskatchewan » See Jane Tri Coverage in Regina Leader Post Rss Feed