Alberta Triathlon Association
21C / 70F
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 59m 54s
Overall Rank = 108/126
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 24/25
Pre-race routine:

I was up at 0515 and had a coffee and one cup of oatmeal with a banana and strawberries. Didn't bother with a shower, but did have 500ml of water before leaving.
Arrived about 06:40 and checked in, body marking, timing chip and swim cap. Nice sunny morning but a little on the cool side. Suited up and ready for 0800 start time.
Nuts! Left my watch at Jan's uncles' where we were staying!!!!!
Event warmup:

Stretched a little in the wet suit, chatted with a few people, took a pic or two and just smiled.
Swim
  • 38m 2s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow, did I ever feel confident before the gun on the swim. Off I went and was feeling great. Found my stroke and breathing right off the bat, I could see the buoy and took a good line. It was perfect!

Then all hell broke loose. All of a sudden at 300m? my chest started to feel tight and I couldn't breath. My heart rate must have shot up and I couldn't put my face in the water. This lasted until I rounded the first buoy and was breath stroking, billions of people passing me and giving me the fin!
I looked back and there were very few people behind and I just stopped. This was supposed to be a relaxing start for me and it was anything but. So I took my line and as quickly as it came on, it was over and I could swim again. I have no idea what happened, but I was fine the rest of the way. I couldn't go fast as I didn't want to bring on the anxiety but I just stayed in the nice rhythm I had built up and finished over 6 min faster than last year, not having a clue and feeling very disheartened.

But on the plus side, physically I felt great!
What would you do differently?:

I can only figure that just two OWS were not enough, even though the weather was crap here. I needed to make more of an effort to get in long before this event.

Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Grabbed a swallow or two of Gatorade I had waiting and hit the John, then got into my stuff and off I went.

Nothing really, not sure of my time but was happy with how this went. Definitely couldn't have waited to use the washroom, and we were expressly forbidden to pee of the bike, which I actually practiced.

Bike
  • 3h 57m 19s
  • 59.65 miles
  • 15.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a plan, and it involved "sacrificing" on the bike. Last year I kept the chain in the top ring as often as I could, even when I was climbing. This year I was going for a higher cadence and trying to save the legs. Plus I knew I didn't have the volume I wanted, again, due to weather.
It was a nice morning, strong cross winds and overcast sky. Sipped about every 2 miles and cliff bar at 8, 24 and 45 miles. A couple off pee breaks.
It was a great course and on the way out you could see the mountains and I kept thinking I was the luckiest guy in the world to be out here doing this, even as Starcorp and the young lady I came out with smoked me!
The back tightened up between 30-50 miles but simply got off for a minute and walked and it loosened up. Legs felt great and mentally I was having a ball. Passed two poor souls within 100m of each other who were fixing flats.

I think if I had had a little more volume it would have been better, but I did follow my plan and made my 4 hour goal and wasn't concerned about my bike time 'cause I felt so good after.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This went well, no confusion, although one pin came out of my number and I had to redo it. Kept same socks on, put shoes on, changed shirt, put on race belt and drink belt then shades and cap. Basically built from the ground up. And drank a bit.

Well, I felt strong here and looked forward to my worst discipline. I had a rough time briefly on the swim, a slower bike, but smooth transitions and mentally and physically I was in good shape. Can't think of anything I needed to do differently here.
Run
  • 2h 24m 24s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

When I started the run I had no idea what time it was and how much time had elapsed. I felt things were slow, but strong which gave me confidence I could run this run, which was the first goal.
I bought a drink belt the day before at the Running Room and had a frozen Gatorade in it. So it was nice and cold when I started.
The first lap was smooth, no tough spots except at a little out and back in the park. They take your number here to make sure you did the full course and the volunteers were great. Had to explain where Dauphin was and this little conversation got me back on track as I was feeling a little tired.
Made the first lap and looked at the clock thinking I was at or over 6hrs but miracle of miracles, it said 5:44! I was probably gonna make my second goal of breaking last years 7:17, and had a shot at goal number three, break 7 hrs. This was a long shot as I was fatigued, but not hurting. Figured if I could run this lap at 5 miles and our, it would be ok.
Then it started to rain. Lightly at first, then enough to get ya wet. I thanked each and every volunteer for staying out for us late comers and their attitudes really helped. There was a little thunder and lightening, but the rain stopped after I got into the park. At the washroom station, one of the volunteers ran in his sandals with me for a minute or two and that was a great gesture.
Now, every step I ran in the park was a personal victory as it was wat this point last year I bonked and had to walk the last five miles. I was still running, smiling and feeling great, but tired yet still pain free. No blisters, cramps or other maladies. About 9-10 miles in or halfway in this loop, I had issues and had to jump off the path along the river and relieve myself. Boy, did I ever feel refreshed after that! Think it gave me a second wind and I ran a little harder.
The last aid station is at the base of a hill as you climb back in to the residential area and I grabbed cold water and Gatorade and walked up it. I asked one of the volunteers what time it was and he said it was going on 3 pm. As I walked up the hill I realized that I was still under 7 hrs and had a shot. I thought it was less than a mile to finish and I dropped my cups and picked it up. I sort of mentally went over how good a day this really was for me and how happy I was to be here and how good I still felt. So my last though was, what if I could break 7 hours with a strong finish?
I ran hard and strong and hit the chute at 7:59:52 and then crossed the line a couple seconds later feeling like a king.

There is nothing in the world like crossing the finish line.

Absolutely nothing. Took Gatorade with me, walked the aid stations and drank there, had three gels along the way, saw a few deer and had gas in the tank at the end. Not that it mattered in the big picture, but wearing my watch would have probably helped a tiny bit?
This run was the first time in 5 races of varying types that I ever ran a sub 2.5 hr 13 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Jan was there to take a pic, then boom, the rain absolutely poured down from the heavens. It was great. I just looked up and laughed. Walked down to the lake and stuck my face in to wash off the salt, phlegm, gel,snot Gatorade,and whatever else I picked up. We grabbed our gear and walked over to the food and had watermelon, chips, bagels, and cookies in the rain, with a big grin on my face, "soaking" up the moment.
We had a 10-15 minute walk with the bikes and gear to the parking area but I didn't care. Jan was good about it. She did 623 and had time to change, call home and do her hair before I came in. As we neared the van, it started to hail! What a time. We laughed good and hard, got back to her uncle's and had a few beer before the banquet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'll always say its a weight thing. I trained less but smarter since February, working hard on my nutrition and am ready to take it to the next level after reaping the results this time. Taking 17 minutes off last year's time and running the run is a victory for me. I followed my plan as best I could given the circumstances and with another year under my belt, I may finally have a handle on this stuff!

Event comments:

Now, the race itself was superb. This is a very challenging course and of the 10 people who came out with me last year, for a variety of reasons, none came back out this year.
Mike Bock organized a great couple days including on-line registration, informative emails, good web sight, race kit pickup, swim practices, pre and post race banquets, swag, medals and a host of other things.
The volunteers were the finest kind. They are out there to help and encourage and made it a very positive experience for me and everyone else.

I'll be back!

Last updated: 2007-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:02 | 2000 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 73/126
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca Predator
Course: Triangular course, two laps, with a very small beach run around the last buoy. Not a ripple on the pond and it was nice and sunny.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:57:19 | 59.65 miles | 15.08 mile/hr
Overall: 108/126
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: A simple out and back course with long rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:24:24 | 13.05 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 108/126
Performance: Good
Course: Short run in the residential area to a nice long park, then back through another residential area, two laps.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 3:43 PM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
Subject: Chinook Half Ironman Triathlon

2007-06-25 4:50 PM
in reply to: #859452

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: RE: Chinook Half Ironman Triathlon

Congratulations! Great story. You seem to have the same bladder/prostate I have! I hope to be as joyous as you were here when I get to Morden!

Thanks for the race report! 

2007-06-25 10:17 PM

User image

Hey, great race!!  Congrats on such a fast swim, despite the anxiety.. and way to go on the run!!

Now enjoy your rest - you deserve it!

2007-06-25 11:03 PM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
Thanks folks, gotta edit the time, should read 659!  Thanks V!
2007-06-26 10:45 AM
in reply to: #860081

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Highwaydog - 2007-06-25 10:03 PM Thanks folks, gotta edit the time, should read 659! Thanks V!

Yeah I thought something was wonky there, but I didn't want to hurt your feelings...lol. 

2007-06-27 12:42 PM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Great race report!  Too bad I wasn't able to race with you all.  You've made some big improvements...keep up the great work man!

2007-06-27 8:46 PM

User image

Winnipeg

Great race, great race report.  Good to see you had a good time all the way through & no pain or body issues.

All in all, it was a smart race...you're getting older, smarter & faster! A deadly combination!

2007-06-27 10:14 PM
in reply to: #862892

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
I'm movin to Sask to train with you guys!
2007-06-27 10:15 PM
in reply to: #863706

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
I'm gonna ride your coattails next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chinook Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed