United States
TriMinnesota Series
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 28s
Overall Rank = 39/243
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 6/26
Pre-race routine:

Got my transition station organized and then visited the little boys room probably a dozen times.
Event warmup:

Went for a short bike ride with ImTriing and then swam a short out and back to get comfortable in the water.
Swim
  • 08m 4s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went very farily good. I decided at the last minute to wear my wetsuit which I was very happy I did after reviewing my performance post race. It helped my confidence as I was out in my first triathlon with a lake swim. The only thing that threw me off was how much people would be swimming right next to you and slapping my legs/swimming into me. Once I saw later that I came out of the water in the top 20 for my wave I was very excited. I was able to swim straight for the majority but caught myself zig-zagging at one time. Overall I can't be more happy with my first triathlon swim in a lake.
What would you do differently?:

Just work on my navigation a little more just so I wouldn't have got off track the one time I really noticed it. The experience I gained from this one will hopefully help me a ton going into my next one.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

1:01 and I had a wetsuit on!!!! Woohoo!! When I decided to wear my wetsuit at the last minute I was very concerned about having to take it off quickly since I've never practiced that before. Everything went great and as soon as I got onto the bike route I finally realized how well it went and made me think about that instead of the huge hill that laid in my path :)

Nothing!!!
Bike
  • 39m 37s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.69 mile/hr
Comments:

This part of the race went very well. The hill about mile 2 was tough but I managed to get up and felt it at the top but got right back to it and felt good througout the rest of the race. My bike had the course at 13.70 miles which would put my pace above my goal of 20 mph but with that huge hill I'm still happy.

Push it even more on the flats.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

So this is when all the fun begins. As I got back to my transition spot everything was going great and had my bike shoes off and helmet off and went ready to put my shoes on and bam!! I put them on and then went to tighten my Yankz laces and I had the adrenaline going a little too much. I managed to pull my laces right out of my left shoe. On my right shoe half of the laces came out, but it was still very loose.

Not pull my laces out of my shoes :)
Run
  • 30m 10s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

So with my shoes loose I take off running and get more worried about my shoes being loose rather than having to run 4 miles. With every step I'm not sure if my feet are going to slip out or not. Once I got off of the trail my mind decided that they wanted to ditch the shoes and just run barefoot but the other half was telling me not to. When I got between the 1.5 mile mark and the 2 mile mark I came up to a corner where there was some volunteers and decided to just ditch the shoes. I told the lady to hold them for me and I'd be back later for them and she just chuckled and agreed to hold them. Oh yeah I didn't wear socks today either :) As I ran the following streets I could finally worry about running and not about my shoes. As I would pass spectators or fellow runners would pass me I would hear comments but I wasn't going to stop. In triathlons there are no re-do's and I couldn't stop the clock to fix my shoes so I just had to keep running and finish. Through the last part of the race though my feet didn't hurt so I just kept going and going. When I made the last corner and had about 300 meters to go, it was balls the walls time. I gave it all coming in to the chute and the tons of spectators noticed I didn't have my shoes on anymore. Overall, with no shoes I couldn't be any happier.

Have laces to keep my shoes on :)
Post race
Warm down:

Just stood around and watched the fellow competitors finish and then returned to pick up my shoes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Shoes in the run!!

Event comments:

Started 15 minutes late due to on-site registration. All the volunteers that I talked to were awesome and more than happy to help if you needed something.

Last updated: 2007-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:04 | 440 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/26
Overall: 26/243
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction Full Sleeve
Course: The course was just an out around 3 buoys and back to the shore. We started on the beach and had to run a couple steps before starting to swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:37 | 13 miles | 19.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/26
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was fairly flat with one huge hill that was incredible. I heard about it prior to the race so I had been training for it but it was still huge. I heard it went up 400?? feet in just over a mile. But we did get to come back down it :)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:30:10 | 04 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/26
Performance: Average
Course: The course was a short trail run before hitting the streets for the last 3 miles or so. It was fairly flat and nothing I wasn't expecting.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 7:45 PM

Veteran
North Dakota
Subject: North Mankato Triathlon

2007-06-25 7:52 PM
in reply to: #859859

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: North Mankato Triathlon
no shoes, now that is a new one!! Nice job

Edited by Ontherun 2007-06-25 7:56 PM
2007-06-25 8:27 PM

User image

Pro
MA

nice race, especially with the no-shoes part.  Still very fast run. 

Great job!

2007-06-25 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
You did a great job yesterday!!!!! I want you to know I am seriously impressed and proud of you and what you have accomplished this year so far. You have completed your first two triathlons and done awesome on both. I have been fortunate enough to see you in the early stages of your training and watched you progress at such a rapid rate. I can't wait to see where you are able to take this thing. Keep up the good work, and don't forget us slow guys, . I might have to start running with you in the hopes some speed might rub off onto me.

Great Job,
Mike
2007-06-25 9:24 PM

User image

Elite
These are your first tri's?  Wow, great job!
2007-06-26 12:12 AM
in reply to: #859982

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere in your dreams
Dude you ROCK!!!! LOL! That sounds like something I would do. Great job Nate, running barefoot is not an easy task! How are the feet feeling today? You are a great athlete!!

2007-06-26 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
There are better systems than Yankz!

I actually go to the local fabric store to pick up some elastic cord and the little tie pull devices.

Great race! I fully expect to see you continuing to progress and get better.
2007-06-26 11:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

Great job, especially running barefoot.  Amazing.  Don't think I could do that.  Good to know the bike course may have been longer, I thought my bike time should have been a little faster.

As far as the shoe problem in T2, I have elastic laces in my shoes but they are tightened to where I need them.  I pull up on the tongue, slide my feet in and am good to go.  No need to pull on the laces.   

2007-06-27 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Great job on the bike!
2007-06-28 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

Wow, what a race! Great job on the swim, and I cannot believe you ran such a good race in your bare feet! That's awesome!! For being a new kid on the block, you're pretty gnarly. You'll be grabbing hardware in no time.

Nice job, great RR!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Mankato Triathlon Rss Feed