Tri4God
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 42s
Overall Rank = 243/353
Age Group = 40+ Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 17/20
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45 for a 40 minute drive to the race site. Had a plain bagel with cream cheese and a cup of strong coffee. Got to transition area around 6 am for a 7:30 start. Racked my bike and set out my gear. Ate a PowerBar about 30 minutes before the start. Washed it down with some water. Had a Power Gel about 15 minutes before the start. I was really relaxed throughout the pre-race routine. HR was 77.
Event warmup:

Stretched my legs and went into the lake via the boat ramp. This was almost a mistake as the ramp had a severe slant and just under the waterline the cement was covered with algae. I actually slid into the water. I ended up cutting my foot slightly on something sharp.
Swim
  • 11m 2s
  • 581 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had only swam once in the last two weeks prior to the race and it showed. Had to do a lot of breaststroke just to keep the confusion off me. This was the wildest swim I had been in.
What would you do differently?:

Continue to train right through my B race two weeks earlier.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Course was slightly uphill coming out of the transition area. Thankfully I had remembered to get my bike into a lower gear.

Just do my routine faster. I think I have it down. Now it just has to go faster. I will welcome the day where I won't have to put a shirt on (having lost my gut).
Bike
  • 1h 09m 34s
  • 18 miles
  • 15.52 mile/hr

Continue training rather than tapering.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Bike racks were too low so I had to severely tilt the bike in order to get the seat under the bar and then be able to put the seat on the bar.
This race I remembered to take off my cycling gloves before the run. I actually took them off during the last half mile of the bike.

Not use a race belt for my number and just pin it to my shirt.
Run
  • 43m 39s
  • 3 miles
  • 14m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

By the time I got off the bike and started the run, it was hot. About .5 miles into the run, I started experiencing pain in my left calf. It initially felt like a cramp developing but got to a point and then did not get worse. I slowed to walk and the pain subsided. I came to the conclusion I must have strained the muscle (not really a pull because I could run on it for some distance). My goal was to break 45 minutes so despite the injury, I did well.

Remember to take a gel getting off the bike. Kind of ran out of energy and was beginning to overheat.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Calf muscle strain. Upon finishing the race, I immediately went to the Medical tent and got my calf iced down for about 15 minutes.

Event comments:

Great race theme! Music was uplifting and not techno-trash or heavy metal. Course organization on the run leg could have been better. Finish line area was a little crowded with people milling around the area where people were finishing. Great goody bag. Dry fit running had and shirt with race logo. This was worth the registration.

I will definitely make this an annual race!

Last updated: 2007-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:02 | 581 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 0/353
Performance: Average
Avg: 159, Max: 165
Suit: Cycling shorts
Course: Course was a series of right hand (clockwise) turns. It was out about 100 yards then a dog-leg to the right. Then about another 100 yards and another dog-leg to the right. Final leg was around 400 yards into the shore. HR Stats:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:25
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:34 | 18 miles | 15.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/20
Avg: 158, Max: 168
Wind: Little
Course: First 3-5 miles were pretty easy. I was going around 19-20mph. Then the "fun" started with the rolling hills. Each hill wasn't that tough by itself, but they just never ended. After the half-way point, I had to stop a couple of times just to rest and get blood back into my legs. Then I was able to climb the hills.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:39 | 03 miles | 14m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/20
Avg: 150 (83%), Max: 172 (96%)
Course: Course set in a subdivision. Traffic was not blocked off so cars were having to drive up the middle of the road due to runners on both sides. Course was mostly flat with a couple of long, gradual hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 9:02 PM

User image

Ocean Springs, MS (on the Gulf of Mexico)
Subject: Tri4God

2007-06-26 12:51 PM
in reply to: #859951

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Subject: RE: Tri4God
Congratulations on another great race completed! I am impressed with the swim after so little swimming recently. Sounds like a fun race too. Wish it were closer to here.
2007-06-27 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Great swim time. I always cut my foot on something in the open water. Congrats on beating your run goal. Nice goody bag, too. You are doing great keeping up the momentum. Good job!
2007-06-29 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Good job Bill!

How is your foot doing? 

And good job beating your goal on the run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri4God Rss Feed