General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Donating Blood Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-26 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Donating Blood
Quick question. We have a blood drive tomorrow and I'll be contributing a pint. Does anyone have any advice on how I should adjust my training routine? I don't have any races for a month and I am starting a 3 week high volume cycle this week. Should I take a day off or cut back a few days, or just motor on through? I normally give blood in the off season so I just take it easy that week, but that won't work at this point in the season. How long till your body fully "recovers" from losing a pint of blood?

2007-06-26 8:28 AM
in reply to: #860342

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Donating Blood

Nice big meal before, lots of extra water all day, and yes, a day or two off.  You may also need a couple more days after that on light duty - your body will tell you.

Thank you for donating. 

2007-06-26 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Good thing is that you're not racing anytime soon, so performance isn't really as big an issue.  I would back off for a day or so and then do what you feel up to.  You're not going to replenish your red blood cells fully for quite a few weeks, but you'll likely feel "normal" long before that happens.
2007-06-26 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

I gave blood last week and took that day off (justw ent for an easy walk in the evening). It was my REST day anyways but otherwise I would have probably exercised in the morning and then give blood in the afternoon.

After donating I had 24 hours of rest before I exercised again which I definitly needed. The first workout after that I still felt a little sluggish but after that it was OK.

And I found this on the net:

Plasma volumes will return to normal in around 24 hours, while red blood cells are replaced by bone marrow into the circulatory system within about 3-5 weeks, and lost iron replaced over 6-8 weeks. This recovery process can be accelerated by eating foods high in complex carbohydrates, iron, and other trace minerals

But I think it is also an individual thing of how well you handle the donation. Some might need more rest afterwards than others.

Edited by Joblin 2007-06-26 9:14 AM
2007-06-26 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
West Chester, OH
I used to donate religiously – as often as I was allowed.  Now I have to be careful about when to donate.  It’s a great thing to do so you should give if you have the chance just know that you may notice a slight difference.  As the previous posters mentioned, eat and drink lots and back off on your workouts but just for a day.  You should be fine after that.
Whatever you do DO NOT let them talk you into donating red blood cells (you lose a lot more than with a regular donation) – stick to the pint of whole blood.  I gave cells once while running about 15 miles/week and I absolutely could not finish the first mile of a short run two days later.  I was shocked by the effect.  It makes perfect sense since that’s where your muscles get their O2 delivery but I just couldn’t believe the difference.  Makes you think about the difference blood doping actually makes.

You should not have any problems with whole blood and it’s a great cause so go for it.

2007-06-26 9:37 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
I must agree about the red blood cells. They will tell you they really need people to donate RBCs. And this is probably true. But I did it once and was wiped out for a long time after.

With a pint of whole blood, assuming you do what is necessary, e.g. drinking lots, eating lots, etc. you should be able to train right through it, but easy for the first day or two. Only you will really know for sure. I donate fairly regularly and have never taken a day off from running for it. But you have to be smart and run easy for a day or so. Consider it high altitude training since your muscles will be working with lower oxygen supplies.

2007-06-26 10:25 AM

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
I donate Double Red Blood Cells 4 times a year. I haven't seen any adverse effects from it. However, I am not one of the "big training" guys either...I run about 15 miles/wk and bike about 75-100 miles/wk.

Kevin
2007-06-26 10:29 AM

User image

Broomfield, CO
I work out the morning before I donate blood and then take it easy the next day. If I work out, it's short and light. I usually am only wiped out in the afternoon/evening the day that I give blood.
2007-06-26 10:58 AM

Regular
ditto what everyone said above about donating a pint of blood, after a day or so you'll be fine.

as for donating red blood cells, i'm not 100% sure that they collect red blood cells, what they do is collect platelettes for patients who lose them from chemotherapy. a machine usually extracts your blood and then the a machine seperates the platelettes from the blood and then your blood returns back to your arm, pretty crazy stuff, but your not losing anything other than platelettes.

i commute by bike everywhere, and often right after i give two pints of platelettes, i hop on my bike and ride 5 miles back home. while agree that i do feel a bit weaker/slower, usually i'm not feeling overly winded or anything like that.

staying on the fluids and eating regularly helps with the recover, and by the next morning when i'm dodging traffic on my way to work via my bike i don't experience any change in my overall physical condition.

if anything i think donating platelettes has a lower impact to one's physiology than donating a pint of whole blood. also there is and will be a greater need for platelette donations than whole blood. also if it makes you feel any better you can donate platelettes every 2 weeks, as opposed if you're donating whole blood every 2 months.

here's a link for more info on platelette donations
http://www.newenglandblood.org/giving/apheresis.htm

2007-06-26 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
I almost stopped and gave a pint after my race on Saturday but I had gotten really hot after the race and thought maybe not such a good idea. I rest 1 day after giving a pint and I actually feel better when training resumes.
2007-06-26 6:52 PM
in reply to: #860760

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
whataboutjohnlee - 2007-06-26 10:58 AM

ditto what everyone said above about donating a pint of blood, after a day or so you'll be fine.

as for donating red blood cells, i'm not 100% sure that they collect red blood cells, what they do is collect platelettes for patients who lose them from chemotherapy. a machine usually extracts your blood and then the a machine seperates the platelettes from the blood and then your blood returns back to your arm, pretty crazy stuff, but your not losing anything other than platelettes.

i commute by bike everywhere, and often right after i give two pints of platelettes, i hop on my bike and ride 5 miles back home. while agree that i do feel a bit weaker/slower, usually i'm not feeling overly winded or anything like that.

staying on the fluids and eating regularly helps with the recover, and by the next morning when i'm dodging traffic on my way to work via my bike i don't experience any change in my overall physical condition.

if anything i think donating platelettes has a lower impact to one's physiology than donating a pint of whole blood. also there is and will be a greater need for platelette donations than whole blood. also if it makes you feel any better you can donate platelettes every 2 weeks, as opposed if you're donating whole blood every 2 months.

here's a link for more info on platelette donations
http://www.newenglandblood.org/giving/apheresis.htm

Two different animals...

RBCs and DRBCs vs apheresis are totally different procedures. When you RBC/DBRC, you are seperating the RBCs from the plasma and the plasma and a saline solution are put back in. DRBC donation (Double) is taking the plasma, seperating the RBCs and putting the stuff back in twice.

My dad used to donate platelettes (apheresis) and I donate DRBCs...every 16 weeks, so about 4 times/year, whereas the regular whole blood is every 8 weeks.

The advantage to RBC/DRBCs is that it helps more patients.

Kevin

2007-06-26 7:07 PM

New user
No need to take much time off from training. Submaximal exercise performance will not be affected, only max performance. THere is no reason that you cannot train normally the day after donating and you certainly do not need several days off. Not an issue for you really. Take the day off when you give blood and train normally the following day. If you feel a bit tired, back off a little bit.

Mike

Am Heart J. 1995 Oct;130(4):838-40. Links
Effects of blood donation on exercise performance in competitive cyclists.Panebianco RA, Stachenfeld N, Coplan NL, Gleim GW.
Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma, Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY 10021, USA.

This study evaluated 10 male cyclists before and after phlebotomy to determine the effect of donation of 1 U of blood on exercise performance. Each subject underwent maximal exercise testing with oxygen consumption measurement at baseline, 2 hours after phlebotomy, 2 days after phlebotomy, and 7 days after phlebotomy. Maximal performance was decreased for at least 1 week. Submaximal performance was unaffected by blood donation.

2007-06-27 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Thanks for the advice everyone!
I donated just before lunch so I skipped my normal lunch run (great excuse since it is 90 degrees and 60% humidity outside today). I'll probably do a light bike on the trainer tonight and play it by ear tomorrow. No speedwork or anything special planned just building up volume.

Edited by southwestmba 2007-06-27 11:44 AM
2007-06-27 10:37 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Well my easy workout the night of my donation morphed from a z1 40 minute ride to a z2 90 minute ride. Felt great though, no real fatigue. Still wasn't hammering or anything but from my experience losing a pint of blood doesn't hurttoo much. However, I wouldn't doubt that it would have an impact on higher intensity workouts (which I am steering clear of for the rest of the week). Thanks again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Donating Blood Rss Feed